Approaching the front of the property you are presented with a large farmhouse style building which is hard to hide in a stark desert, if you haven’t already seen photos of the hotel you hope that the rest of the buildings are less intrusive. And they are. Great care has gone into positioning most of the rooms into the boulders where, with the dark colours and thatched roofs they are hardly noticeable. Some of the rooms are set more noticeably around a green grass area and these may be preferred by some people who want to be close to the lodge but they don’t have the best views. In my opinion the further away you get from the actual lodge the better the location, and quite a number are simply stunning. Further away can mean 400 metres, but there are always staff about to ask for help with your luggage when departing.
No tea or coffee facilities in the room although this is offered in a station at the lodge. And surprisingly for rooms set amongst or into rocks, there is air conditioning. Buffet breakfast is the usual good selection of juices, breads, cereals etc with hot breakfast cooked to your choice. And very nice it was too. Dinner is starter and dessert waiter served with buffet main choice. And food was always plentiful and delicious served by helpful pleasant staff.
Having plenty of time on a 28 day tour of Namibia, we stayed here three nights, one night being free with our booking. This allowed us a really relaxing day on the property which was empty, as most people are out at the canyon, and we enjoyed a lovely day by the pool which is in an outstanding setting.
The lodge was stunning and made more enjoyable by the staff at this lodge who were excellent, very friendly, informative and always willing to help.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The harsh rocky desert region at the southern tip of Namibia has made many a traveller think that God has forgotten this land. Not so, just 20 kilometres from the main viewpoint of the Fish River Canyon, leading off the dusty D324, you’ll find the Canon Lodge, an oasis seemingly in the middle of nowhere. The Canon Lodge is one of two existing accommodation centres in the expanse of the 530 km² Gondwana Canon Park. Tall weather-beaten granite boulders mark the location of the lodge and forms an integral part of the overall design. The 20 thatch stone bungalows are dotted among the kopies and are beautifully designed, with the walls shaped around the hills so that boulders protrude into your room, cool to the touch and smoothly rounded by an eternity of erosion. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Cancelon, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Canyon Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Canon Hotel Fish River Canyon
- Canyon Lodge Namibia/Fish River Canyon