All reviews gas fireplace jacuzzi tub white lake overlooking the lake waffles boiled eggs bike trail first floor continental breakfast chocolate chip cookies great town city view dvd player spent two nights small town full kitchen comfy bed
Reviewed August 31, 2014

We chose this inn based on its proximity to both Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp and to Grand Haven as well as its allowance of our small dog. What a pleasant surprise to find it is one of the cleanest and quietest hotels we have occupied in the past few years. We loved the view of the lake, the large room, and the ability to walk to Whitehall or Montague. The breakfast was exactly what you would expect- nothing special. However, sitting on the porch to eat breakfast made up for the limited selection of items. Who can resist a gorgeous view? We will be back.

Room tip: Our room overlooked the parking lot, but it was still quiet.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Yummmmm Chocolate chip cookies in the evening. BUT shucks not for the Gluten Free, same with the breakfast! The room was a little pricey for not being able to enjoy the little extras. Yes, if you have a four legged companion, this is a great place. We had a balcony and so did our doggy neighbor, so if we were on the balcony at the same time. He would bark.

The room was beautiful!!!!!Fireplace, Jacuzzi and balcony looking at the river.

Room tip: Some rooms open to the desk area. No elevator to the second floor. If you don't like dogs, inform the front desk before getting your room.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
4  Thank partycrtns
Reviewed August 7, 2014

The Weathervane Inn looks a little outdated and worn from the outside but it appears to be newly updated on the inside.

Your first opinion when walking inside is the reception desk. The individual working there was not friendly at all. We arrived for a mid-week vacation so the town was quiet, there were only two other cars in the parking lot. We walked into the lobby about 2:30 p.m. and we were told firmly that "check in is at three". No smile, no offering to check and see if our room was ready. She did take our credit card information and gave us a room key but said "Check in is at 3:00 p.m. We sat in the lobby and finally my husband went upstairs to see that no one was working on our room. Then, before bringing our luggage to the room we asked if our room had a king bed. She said "I think so". There are less than 25 rooms so I am not sure why she did not know the bed size or every look at a room list.

We did have a nice room with a king bed. The room was very clean. The view is a little lacking and I am not sure why they use the word "Luxurious" to describe the hotel on their website.

Just so you know, the rooms do not have curtain - just blinds. The room never was very dark, even at night. Your pillow options are either extremely hard or super soft. If I stay again, I would bring my own pillows and an eye mask (something that I do not normally travel with). After a long day of biking we decided to use the Jacuzzi tub. The tub is a really nice size and comfortably fits two. Everything appeared to be very clean. Once we started the water jets - a brown liquid came out of the one of the jets. Disgusting. My advice is to start the jets before settling in to make sure you do not get the surprise of brown water.

I would stay here again, I would just be more prepared.

Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
7  Thank JBBTraveler
Reviewed August 3, 2014

This was a very nice place to stay. The room was clean and comfortable. They are very dog friendly and have fresh baked chocolate chip cookies in the evening. It was a little odd that there are rooms that open to the lobby, but we were not disturbed by noise. My only complaint was that whenever I passed, with the exception of the young lady that checked us in, the front desk agents were always in the back room sitting and playing on their phone.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Boiler-Grad-and-dad
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Homey and quaint.
Upon arrival, I stood at the desk for a good 5 minutes before an employee came in from outside to check me in. She didn't even say hello or that she was sorry for making me wait.
Our room was upstairs. For those traveling who need wheelchairs or cannot use stairs, make sure you inform them ahead of time as there is no elevator to the top floor. Room was small, but had nice furniture, a cute table and chairs, mini fridge, microwave, coffee pot among other amenities. Our view was dismal as we overlooked a roof. The air conditioner was mounted to the wall above the bed so you had to stand on the bed to be able to change the temp. All I could think was 'I hope that thing is mounted well cuz I'd hate for it to come crashing down on my head in the middle of the night.' The walls must be relatively thin because I could hear other peoples conversations at night as well as once breakfast began in the morning.
I eat very healthy and clean so my options for breakfast were extremely limited. I had hard boiled eggs which I only seemed to track down as I am a little nosy. They had fruit, but I don't eat fruit or carbs (except steel cut oats on occasion) I didn't even have the option of quick oats or scrambled eggs. For those without my eating habits you have waffles, danish's, muffins, bagels, yogurt and boxed cereals.
At check out, again I stood at the desk for at least 5 minutes with the woman behind the counter just staring and writing something down. No acknowledgement that I was there. Finally she looked up and jumped, startled that I was even standing there. She gave me a
20% off coupon for a future stay. Had she not, it would be up on the air if I would stay here again.

5  Thank Ashley S