“The best loaf of bread I've ever made”
Review of Bygone Basics

Bygone Basics
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Montague
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Go back to simpler times. A true Farm-to Table Immersion! Experience for yourself the culinary heritage skills of your choosing. Enjoy hearty food and beverages of an heirloom cuisine, while hands-on experiencing soap making, bread making, home canning, making jams and jellies, pies. Learn how these skills were made using old tools and seeing how today's tools can cut your effort to a serious minimum. Gather eggs or harvest your produce in the gardens if you wish. Or choose to let us take care of that (and leave the kitchen clean-up to us!) This is all undertaken in a 143 year old home that harkens back to old-style farmhouse living. An absolutely fabulous experience while gaining skills you will use to reduce food costs, ensure the safety of your foods, and re-live a piece of heritage that is fast becoming lost. Also a heritage recipe bakery. Here, you can order your grandma's peach pie...and get it! Complete with a "pantry" for purchase of baked goods, jams/jellies, heritage soaps and candles. An on-site Bed & Breakfast is available for your convenience as well: Amanda's Bequest - A heritage immersion farm-stay B & B (with all the comforts you seek!).
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
New Era, Michigan, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The best loaf of bread I've ever made”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I had a wonderful Monday night with Valerie learning to make a loaf of bread from scratch and homemade butter. Excellent written instructions along with Valerie directing each step that I did. We did our baking in the kitchen of her 140 year old home and visited with her chickens, ducks, and bunnies while our dough was doubling in size. I was lucky to enjoy a sample of cheese that Valerie had made herself and I was also treated to lemonade and several other tasty appetizers. All-in-all it was a very enjoyable experience. I look forward to the pressure cooker canning class that I have signed up for!

Visited July 2014
hansonv, Owner at Bygone Basics, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you Sheila L. IT was certainly nice to get to know you. I look forward to the pressure cooker session coming up too. I think you'll enjoy having some of the scariness and myths cleared up and get right into canning on your own after leaving. I must admit, that was one beautiful loaf you took home. :)

Carleton, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Heirloom cooking at it's finest”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We participated in two sessions. First one was a private lesson with my daughter as we made Depression Era Apple Pie. Very easy and delicious!! Second session was the following day with 6 other ladies. Chocolate and Biscotti. A chocolate specialist, Ashley, helped with making bonbons and truffles and Valerie led the biscotti making. Great experience and lots of fun.

Visited May 2014
hansonv, Owner at Bygone Basics, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you. We love mother-daughter visits and yours was no exception! The Bygone Basics Experiences you had were quite varied and went from private so you both could create bonding memories and really engage in a skill; to the big 8 person Chocolate extravaganza where you met 6 other new friends to laugh with. A very special time together indeed. We loved every moment of it with you. Thank you.
Livonia, Michigan, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Birthday Weekend!”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We had the BEST experience this weekend up in Montague. learned SO MUCH about baking AND made some DELICIOUS food! SUCH GOOD FOOD!!! what a great group of people, lots of fun, laughter and old fashion family love. We didn't feel like we were in a class but instead visiting family for a fun Saturday afternoon.

THANK YOU! cant wait to come visit again soon

<3 the Davis family
-Skip, Rosemary, Melissa, Rick, Stephaine, Sarah & Christopher

Visited October 2013
hansonv, Owner at Bygone Basics, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
:) Thank you for your review. We feel very much like we have a grand extended family as we get to know the great people who spend time with us in our heritage kitchen. The fondest memories are made when gathered around the table.
Whitehall, Michigan, United States
“Canning with Val”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My daughter and I had a lovely afternoon experience learning how to can tomatoes and peaches. Val is a terrific instructor. Her kitchen is warm and welcoming. We had a tour of her home and I loved meeting her chickens and ducks and seeing her garden. I would highly recommend Bygone Basics!

Visited September 2013
hansonv, Owner at Bygone Basics, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you. My daughter(s) and I sure had a lovely time with you in our heritage kitchen! I hope to hear soon that you did some successful canning at home.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Excellent experience”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My mom and I took a canning class here and had a fantastic time. We have been cooking together for 30 years and decided we wanted to try something new. The class was limited to just the two of us, Valerie and her staff so we got plenty of hands on experience and opportunities to ask question. Valerie did a great job of meeting us at our skill level so things were not over our heads but also are not repetitive to what we already knew. We learned two forms of canning, pressure and water bath, along with the most secure and safe methods to ensure we had a great end product. We went home with nine items and Valerie fed us an amazing true farm to table lunch complete with the best pumpkin pie I have ever had in my life. Valerie is funny, kind and incredibly knowledgable in her craft. She went above and beyond to make sure we had a great, memorable afternoon. I would recommend her classes and her beautiful bed and breakfast to anyone. Had a great time and would happily do again!

Visited September 2013
hansonv, Owner at Bygone Basics, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
You two were so much fun. Your Experience here in the Bygone Basics kitchen was truly a pleasure. Let us know if there are any follow-up questions! Hope to see you again in the future!