“STAY FAR AWAY!”

Econo Lodge Inn and Suites Monroe
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Monroe
Reviewed April 5, 2009

Absolutely disgusting. Checked in as we were coming in for a fundraising event & did not have the time to deal with checking out. We checked out immediately afer returning from the event as the bed spreads & carpet were caked with something, we stuck to the bathroom floor and there was hair everywhere. Apparently, the room was cleaned. The outside of the hotel looks nice but this is very deceiving as to what you'll find in the inside. Highly recommend sleeping in your car over one of their beds.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
JenniferListens, Front Desk at Econo Lodge Inn and Suites Monroe, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2011

I am sorry that your stay was an unpleaseant one. We have since been remodeled from top to bottom and are under new management and have all new staff.

There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge Inn and Suites Monroe

Reviewed January 13, 2009

The check-in man was very good. After that, things went downhill. The wireless Internet did not work and the two women at the front desk in the morning were aware of it but of no help and not even apologetic about it.

Besides the non-functioning Internet, the OJ machine did not work and they had this nasty Tang-like drink substituted.

The room was clean, the temperature was easy to control, and the shower was nice.

Based on the level of service, if I'm ever back, I'll be looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 7, 2008

I traveled with my department and we all considered this place a dive. Not only was my room awful, I found that I was actually one of the lucky ones. Several people complained that their rooms were not cleaned and that there was a lot of damage to the rooms. Gum on mirrors, underwear hanging in the bathroom, garbage still in the bins. My room was actually just in BAD worn out condition. Several of the pillows had no pillow cases. The shower curtain had holes in it, the towel racks kept falling off. The phone wouldn't dial out & the alarm clock didn't work. The television only worked in three minute intervals. After ten minutes we had to turn it off because of the awful screeching noises that came out of it after every three minutes. Everything else was just in really poor condition. The ice machine had either huge particles of dirt frozen or bugs, quite frankly I didn't bother to find out which one it was, I agood, however when we went to jump in the pool to cool off, we found it was just about as hot as the hot tub. There was actually steam coming off of our skin. I didn't feel that it was so bad since I had a sore shoulder and I didn't put my head in. However, a lot of other individuals were seriously complaining, and it was a good thing I didn't have my kids with me, because there is no way they could have tolerated the heat. I have to say that the staff was pleasant enough, however they did nothing about the complaints.

Stayed: April 2007
Reviewed January 15, 2006

Our family of 4 stayed here New Year's Eve for one evening. The staff is a little young to be handling such an extreme amount of responsibilty and enforce the rules. The pool was very warm, almost too warm like a hot tub. You could only stay in about 1 hour til you couldn't take the heat anymore. This was the main reason for staying here to use the indoor pool. I'd rather have the pool too hot than too cold. The pool and hot tub needed cleaning as the water was dark. Upon check out, I heard a man ask when the hot tub would be cleaned, when was it last cleaned and needed immediate attention.

We had a non-smoking room and it was fine. We did smell marijuana around dinner time from a room nearby and alerted the staff. They must have promptly took care of the situation because we didn't smell it after a while and smelled like air freshener.

We stayed here last year for New Year's Eve. The night was much improved as far as people being out of control. They took care of this by only allowing guests 21 years and older to reserve a room. We had a little problem with billing upon checkout but I called the 800 number to get it resolved. Our room was charged for someone elses bill but with another guests credit card!

Those who've seen the partying in the lobby should contact Choice Hotels direct to complain. We'll most likely being staying somewhere else for the upcoming New Year's Holiday.

• Stayed: December 2005
1  Thank BBPIE
Reviewed January 11, 2006

I stayed here for one night in early October. WARNING: STAY AWAY!! It was an unusually warm spell and perhaps I should have known things were wrong when the lobby was so hot it was almost unbearable. The desk clerk was disinterested, brusque and rude. But, I was tired from driving since 5:30am so I stayed. A huge mistake! The room was hot and the A.C. made a lot of noise, but little cooling. The room itself was dark, dirty and the bed was hard as a rock. There was also a “funky” smell that was either the remains of something that had died in the walls (think rat or mice) or perhaps the left over from days without real cleaning. Around 9:30 p.m. the noise started and never really stopped. I tried sleeping, but between the loud air conditioning, the heat, the noise and the extremely uncomfortable bed it was next to impossible. Finally, around 3:30 am I gave up and decided to leave and get back on the road. When I arrived at the front desk I learned where all the noise was coming from. The desk clerk who appeared to be about 17, had all his friends in the lobby partying! There were beer cans on the floor and on the counter. The lobby was full of Cigarette smoke (and the fairly distinctive smell of something other than tobacco). I had to practically scream to get the attention of the partying clerk, who finally figured out that he needed to give me a receipt. In his semi-drunken state it took him several tries to get the receipt to print out, but finally he managed and I escaped. What a horrible dump! STAY AWAY! Even if you, like me, are feeling road weary, you will be happier either staying on the road or finding any other place to stop.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank Shoya
Reviewed January 7, 2006

The worst points about our stay at Comfort Inn in Monroe.
1) The day manager lied and said all the damage to our room was done the night prior when it was old DAMAGE!
2) The managers from DAY AND NIGHT shift had a huge hotel party and was worse than 50 teenagers.(although some were teens themselves)
3) There were guests running through the halls at all hours!
4) There were guests drinking beer IN BOTTLES in the indoor pool room. OH did I mention while enjoying a cigarette??
5) They were understaffed!!!
Will not stay here again unless I see DRAMATIC improvements!

3  Thank Michelle B
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 5, 2003

New hotel with great decor clean rooms and pool excellent stay, fast food near by shopping mini golf bumper cars, campground and regular golf all with in one mile.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monroe
Quality Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn Monroe
#1 of 8 in Monroe
Holiday Inn Express & Suites MONROE
Days Inn & Suites Dundee

Been to Econo Lodge Inn and Suites Monroe? Share your experiences!