“Wow, so ripped off”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Monroe
Merrickville, Canada
“Wow, so ripped off”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I was on my way down to Louiville, and ended up to tired to drive all the way, I stopped in at this comfort inn, asking specifically for ground floor with a door that opened outside, I checked in walked to the room only to discover that there was no door to the outside, I went back to the receptionist and said, there is no door to the outside, she informed me none of the rooms had doors to the outside.............hmmmm guess she wasn't listening, I let her know that the room was not suitable, and asked her to cancel my room, left and found a different comfort inn. Today I looked at my credit card statement and found they had charged me for the room?? I called to enquire, and there was no manager there to help they would get back to me. They got back o me this afternoon to tell me they will not reverse the charge...........not impressed!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
comfortinnmonroemi, Webmaster at Econo Lodge Inn and Suites Monroe, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review despite not staying with us. I apologize for any inconvenience and am certain any billing issues related to your cancellation were resolved long ago. Still, I hope you will come and actually stay with us when you’re in the area again. Our clean, comfortable rooms satisfy many guests and could satisfy you too.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Monroe, Michigan
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I travel quite abite with my job; and I am truely impressed with this hotel. The staff is friendly and the room have been completley remodeled. The value is the best for what you get, and over size room and a all so confoie bed. You just can't go wrong. My name is Jack L. Green and I approve this message.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Staying 2 nights, room with 1 king bed is 110 total, not the best room I've ever stayed in for the money, had a urine smell coming from the matress, safe lock was drilled out, overall the is better places up the expressway a couple miles.

• Stayed October 2011
Tampa
Reviewed September 16, 2011

This hotel is a newly renovated hotel as the sign says, looks pretty good inside. I was in a larger room with a 2 person hot tub which was very nice. The room was pretty large, had a nice flat screen TV and the bed was very comfortable. I was here for business, and the location I thought was very good, its about 45 minutes from Detroit and only about 30 minutes to Toledo, not much traffic in this area. Overall for the price and the room and the location I was very happy with my stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank USFBowler
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Great hotel for the price, I only stayed one night because I stayed next to the airport the second night. I should have stayed here both nights. Great pool area w jaccuzi, outdoor patio area, great free breakfast, better than most! I had the jacuzzi room....heaven! Very nice staff and hotel.

• Stayed September 2011
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We booked this only because it was so close to a nearby RV park where friends had parked their bus. I knew by the inexpensive nightly rate I wasn't getting a Ritz Carlton, but it for a hotel that proudly states it is "newly renovated" it's still pretty much a dump. The staff at front desk was one of the better points because they were fairly polite. But there are numerous issues with the building and rooms:

- Room keys were often not functional. Upon check in the lobby was lined with people asking to have keys recoded because they would not open doors.
- The elevator has graffiti etched into the wall
- Our room had a handwritten note affixed with Scotch tape above the handle that said, "Lift Handle Up". The door was clearly defective as we could not open it without assistance from hotel manager pushing all her body weight up against it with her shoulder while lifting handle up. A lady in our hallway also had the same issue as my husband had to help her open her door the same way. Renovation isn't so great if doors are that difficult to work with.
- Our shower curtain was mildewy
- There was some kind of a dirty looking drip stain running down from light switch in our room entry area
- The tub floor had areas where coating had worn off
- Hair in bathroom and tub upon check, before we used
- The hotel charges you an additional $2 per night fee for the privilege of having an antiquated in room safe. This is not made apparent when reserving the room online. It's something you learn when you go to check in and they tell you to initial your check in documents. Total rip off!
- Poor sound insulation. We were on second floor with one floor above us. It sounded like there was an NBA game being played upstairs from us with all the thumping we heard.

While the location was convenient for our needs, my husband I couldn't wait to get out and would probably try another hotel in Monroe area if we were to ever return.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I apologize that you were not satisfied. Please know that your comments and those of other guests were used in recent changes and improvements at our hotel. We’re now better than ever before, and I challenge you to visit us again and see what you’ve been missing. We look forward to welcoming you.

Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these Monroe hotels

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We were on a short family vacation and made a quick decision to stop at Sterling State Park in Monroe, MI on our way home. I booked via Priceline and found this Comfort Inn. Upon our arrival the staff were unable to find out reservations but this appeared to be on Priceline's end and not the hotel's fault. After about a half hour we were able to get our room. Room was okay and what we had asked for. The lock on the door seemed to have been recently repaired. In the hallway what appeared to be the circuit breaker room we found the door propped open and a fan looking to be keeping the area cool for some reason. The pool was okay as well but had a lot of old cement at the bottom chipped off and was hard to walk on in some areas. The pool area lights did not come on and at night it was kinda of strange to be swimming in the dark. The kids did enjoy it. The spa was old and did not seem to have any water pressure in the jets. I later asked for some extra towels and blankets. At first the hotel staff was unsure they could provide the extra items although the hotel appeared empty. The staff later were able to get all of the requested items and was very pleasant. At night there were several continuous loud noises in the hall and almost seemed like they were working on something. I did use a public space area restroom and the toilet was broken. Breakfast was okay but they had run out of several items and the orange juice machine was not working properly and they were out of milk as well. Again, nice staff but poorly kept hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your kind comments about our staff. Please know that we’ve made a number of changes to the hotel, including some staffing changes, and are now better than ever before. I hope you will try us again to see that we provide a better experience than ever before and one you will enjoy for a single night or several.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monroe
Quality Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express & Suites MONROE
Quality Inn Dundee
Quality Inn Dundee
#3 of 4 in Dundee

Been to Econo Lodge Inn and Suites Monroe? Share your experiences!