“Tasted both Vince's and Monroe's Original today”

Monroe's Original Hot Dog
Ranked #11 of 131 Restaurants in Monroe
Cuisines: American
Newport, Michigan, United States
“Tasted both Vince's and Monroe's Original today”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Decided to take my teenager today and decide which Monroe heavyweight we liked better.
The trip started at Vince's, each of us ordering two dogs and root beer. I had mine "all the way" and my son ordered "all the way" plus cheese. The dogs came out fast and hot! As you might have read elsewhere, Monroe chili dogs are different than Detroit style. Monroe style is a little more "red" in the chili, with a definite sweetness. We enjoyed the dogs, which were complimented well by the great service. The root beer was the sweetest root beer we have ever had, almost too sweet to quench a thirst. At Vince's, you can choose to eat at a picnic table and view the Raisin River while you eat (if you can take your eyes off the servers!).
At Monroe's Original, we both ordered two dogs all the way. The dogs here came out fast and hot as well. The dogs were a little more "smashed" by the wrapper here. At Monroe's, the chili is very similar to Vince's, but a little more tomato and vinegar to the recipe. They also were very good. We did not want more root beer, so an order of pink lemonade and a coke accompanied our dogs. There wasn't as much to see at Monroe's as there was at Vince's.
Both of us decided that we liked Vince's better. We liked the chili better. We liked the views better. Both points being very subjective, we recommend you try both and decide for yourself.

• Visited July 2012
3 Thank Danielle C

Columbus, OH
“A Mainstay in Monroe”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

My parents actually met at this restaurant in 1954 when my mother and her sister were carhops there and I lived in Monroe until 1984. I still have family in Monroe so I am up there about every 2-3 months. This place has Good hotdogs and rootbeer especially when they have the $1.00/hotdog deals! I haven't found any place like it anywhere!

• Visited April 2011
Toledo, Ohio
“You will never find a dog like this one”
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Everyone that lives in Monroe has their favorite hot dog. My whole family loves Monroe's Original. Their chili is one of a kind. I can walk in my house and know when someone has went to Monroe's Original. Makes my mouth water every time. Even though their menu is limited, who goes to a hot dog stand to get a chicken sandwich? I want my hot dogs and root beer. I buy their root beer by the gallon. I'm not even a big fan of root beer, but this stuff is amazing!

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank Bonadebi
Seattle, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Hotdogs on the Planet”
Reviewed January 30, 2011

I grew up in Monroe and every Saturday Mom took us to Monroe's Original for chili dogs and rootbeer. As a teenager I got a job as a carhop there. It was the best summer ever. To this day, after traveling all over the place, I still haven't found a chili dog that can compare.

• Visited May 2010
1 Thank Ksanders167
Fairfax, Virginia
“Best Chili Dogs in my 60 Years”
Reviewed August 28, 2010

Began stopping here in 1957. Although I've lived 500+ miles away for 40 years, I always make a stop when I return. Haven't found chili sauce like this one anywhere. I love it.

2 Thank RobertSMeyer