“The good, bad, and ugly, plus a surprise.”

Sterling State Park
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Monroe
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

I have never swam in Lake Erie before, and seeing I have lived my whole life in Michigan, I thought I should. Now I live in west michigan where the west side of our state has many beautiful beaches with lots of sand. So I am bias, my review of Sterling State Park.
The good: the park is nice with lots of trails, boat launch, small lakes for fishing, lots of changing rooms with toilets in them, covered picnic areas, grills, volley ball areas, and lots of large trees by waters edge for sitting in the shade. There are so many large trees along the waters edge, one every 30 yards or so that it's hard to tell how many people are at the beach because everybody moves down the beach to sit under the trees , it is very nice.
The bad: there is a very large coal power plant that looms over the park.
The ugly: the water and mud, the water looks bad and nasty close to shore about the first 10 yards is the worst area, so if you have small children who like to play by the shore, I wouldn't advise it, go somewhere else. But the water is much better away from shore, but about 50 yards out, the sand stops and you walk in about 3/4 of a inch of mud that feels like sludge that squeezes between your toes. Also the sand area by the water is very small.
The surprise: for being close to Detroit and Detroit hard core image, I meet at least a dozen very nice and friendly people there, it was hard to believe. I sat beside a couple with there family who was from around Detroit who invited me to join them for lunch. I declined , but it sure made me feel special and made my day.

3  Thank Theking2000
"camping area"
"multiple times"
"wonderful place"

Reviewed July 14, 2014

We only visited the beach, no campground or other facilities and I rate this as poor in comparison to the other beaches we've visited in Michigan. We were driving back to Ohio from Detroit and wanted to stop at a beach for a few hours. I was surprised at the lack of options in Southeast Michigan. From our searching, this park seemed to be your only choice in that part of the state. A pass for the day for an out-of-state vehicle is $9.

The positives: The beach is long and there are some big trees that can provide some shade if you want it. Some nice boats were out on the lake to watch cruising up and down the coast. The picnic shelters and bath houses looked fairly new.

The negatives: Although long, the beach is only about 20 yards wide of sand. To the north you get to look off in the distance at a Nuclear Power plant, and to the south you look (rather closely) at a coal power plant. It also seemed overused (possibly due to the lack of choices in the area) because there were a lot of cigarette butts strewn about. Some of the crowd that we were near was pretty rough too(not that this is the park's fault, but just an observation).We had a little baby with us, and the language getting tossed about wasn't the best.

We love the beaches on Lake Michigan and Lake Huron, this one just isn't even in the same league.

8  Thank Jake F
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Nice clean campground. Pull thru space for our 35 ft trailer with full hookups. Wide with plenty of space for our slide outs and awning. No trees for shade. Nice walking/bike trails and huge beach and playground. Beautiful views of Lake Erie. Can get windy close to the beach. Would stay again.

2  Thank 461amandaj
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We live within a few miles of the park, so visit often. The park trails connect to the new River Raisin National Battlefield Park, then to downtown Monroe. (Having a bike will be helpful). Nice sandy beach, campground is nice & clean (although not many trees yet) and the trails are beautiful. Good place to launch a boat & spend time on Lake Erie & our grandsons like the fishing ponds. Most summer Thursday nights, there is live music at St. Marys Park, a bike ride away. If camping, don't miss donuts from our famous local bakery, Monica's Bakery, just a couple miles north of the park. :)

1  Thank travel1165