“A Different Sort of Red Roof”

Days Inn & Suites Monroe
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Monroe
Marion, Indiana
“A Different Sort of Red Roof”
Reviewed July 19, 2011

It was different because it is a former Best Western site. Therefore, there's a lovely lobby with a breakfast area as well as a swimming pool. I stayed in a two-bed double room that had a refrigerator/microwave as well as a table and two chairs. I did not try the breakfast bar. The room featured really nice Colonial furniture with a maple finish, presumably a holdover from its days as a Best Western. It appeared, however, that the carpet had not been swept as it was all over what looked like bits of Romain noodles. Having a small dog, I was not very pleased by this. I later heard that a help shortage forced three maids to service sixty rooms on the day that I checked in. My room was ready while friends who arrived at 6:30 p.m. had to wait for their room to be readied. The hotel had a really nice grassy area for dogs, and had plenty of poop bags and disposal stations available. There was a large dog show in town that weekend so this amenity was appreciated by everyone. It was also apparently the time for a large mayfly hatch as the exterior surface of the building was pretty well covered in mayflies, as were the room doors. I inadvertently parked beneath a security light and found my car covered with dead mayflies in the morning. (They blew off after I drove for awhile.) I cannot find the motel at fault for the Mayflies, however. Overall, this is site is a nice change from the usual Red Roof ambiance.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 13, 2011

On a family road trip with no set itinerary, we found ourselves in Monroe, MI at the end of the day with no plans or reservations. The Red Roof Inn ranked highly on TripAdvisor, so we drove up and paid the rack rate to essentially crash for the night.

Despite not hunting for a deal, this stay ended up being the cheapest accomodation we paid for on our two-week trip. For less than $40, we got a clean, safe, comfortable room and a decent motel breakfast for three the next morning. At this price, we couldn't have asked for more - during the course of this journey, we paid literally twice as much for motels that were not nearly as nice. Recommended, if you happen to end up here.

Room Tip: Enjoy the drive-up front desk.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Romulus, Michigan
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Stayed at this motel on various occasions, and never really had any problems. The rooms are always clean and the bed linens seem fairly new. They have everything a room should have, alarm clocks, coffee makers, mirco & fridge. Only occasionally has a light bulb been burned out, but that about it. The only grip I have is the pricing. I have used a coupon from room savers or rooms to go, and upon checking in, I'am told it's only good for one nite, which isn't stated on the coupon. Also, as a walk in, it depends on which front desk clerk you get, because they all have a different rate. After being there a couple of day's and deciding to stay a little longer, I can't have the same rate I checked it with, as I'am told the internet rate is cheaper than the walk in rate, unless I check out and recheck in the next day using the internet. Other than that I would recommend this hotel as being a great facility.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Richmond, VA
Reviewed November 29, 2010

We switched hotels from another, more expensive, less clean hotel that allowed pets, to this one. The good: Great price. Around $55 for a 2 room suite. Very quiet. Comfortable beds. Clean looking sheets. Best location for Monroe hotels is on Dixie Hwy, near the restaurants. Brightly lit parking lot. Allows pets for free. We traveled with our small dog. There are little grassy areas here and there. The bad: Room smelled like smoke even though they are supposed to be non-smoking, but smell dissipated as days went by. My sister also stayed here and she said her room had a "funny" smell. Wish the room was updated a little more. Questionable cleanliness. Nothing looked TERRIBLE though. This is NOT a luxurious hotel or truly updated, but for the price, it is a great value and worth staying again. We usually stay at the Hampton Inn, but we are booking our Christmas stay (visiting family) at the Red Roof Inn again because the rate to value ratio is so good.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Indianapolis
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I stayed here three times (once using a free night rewards certificate and twice on business).

Overall Remarks/ Room Reviews:
The motel is now a smoke-free facility. However, one of the rooms had previously been a smoking room, as everything (my luggage, the bed, and the walls still had a linger of a smoker room). The other two rooms were clean and smoke-free. On each stay, the rooms were well-swept and clean. The beds were clean with no staining or tearing on the linens. The AC/Heating units could stand to be serviced/ replaced.

The motel offers wi-fi (with Ethostream: a temporary account guest reigistration for 24-hour service) plus a basic cable TV package. Each room included a microfridge and desk area, plus extensive drawer storage.

The bathrooms were right on par (although on my third stay, the bathroom needed an upgrade, as the shower showed signs of wear) . The other two bathrooms were clean and in good repair . Overall, they were thoroughly cleaned with no signs of mildew/ mold.

Exterior:
The motel offers exterior corridors. One corridor (on my last stay) had prominent spiderwebbing/ spider residents (if you're tall, watch out). On the other two stays, the corridors were very clean. There are plenty of free parking spaces and a few picnic tables.

The motel offers a pool area that is thoroughly "cleaned/skimmed" in the morning. Adjacent to the pool area was a laundry facility.

Lobby Area:
The lobby area is gorgeous and quaint with decor reminiscent of a ski lodge with plush seating, business center (PC) and breakfast area. The continental breakfast consists of juice, coffee, doughnuts, bagels, and waffles(very limited selection). Although it's a Red Roof, as of Aug 2010, they did not have one of the Red Roof Coffee machines. The front desk offers drive-through check-in and check-out.

Nearby Restaurants:
Bob Evans, Red Lobster, and Burger King are within walking distance. Across the interstate is a Subway, Cracker Barrel, and Wendy's.

Conclusion:
For the price, this facility is a great bargain.

(notes for the owners: improvements could be made in breakfast selection, AC/Heating units, and bathroom fixture maintenance...overall, though, great job)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Dublin Ohio
Reviewed March 22, 2010

I was in Monroe to visit family and stayed at the Red Roof Inn. This location used to be a Best Western, but is now Red Roof Inn and is much nicer! The staff was great (Stephanie) and the rooms were clean. They were actually a lot larger than I was expecting. There was juice and coffee, cereal, and a waffle maker in the lobby. Compared to the other hotels in this area, you can't beat the price or quality of this hotel. I also got a coupon for a free Denny's breakfast, which was located down the street!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sib217
Downers Grove, Illinois
Reviewed February 27, 2009

I'm a Quality Auditor travelling 45 weeks a year on average worldwide. Because I like to prepare my own meals (weightwatching, saves time) I seek lodging with kitchen facilities. At first sight, loved the room: large, two queens instead of king (no problem with that), separate living room and full kitchen, the size of the bedroom and bath. However....
No plates, cups, glasses, utensils or pots and pans! When I called the front desk to inquire, the answer was No, and the attitude was Why would I even ask? What is the point of a kitchen if there is nothing with which to prepare meals?!? Fortunately, I travel with fork, spoon, knife and cereal bowl, so I picked up coffee cups & lids, plastic plates when I grocery shopped. Secondly, the sofabed had no mattress so I had to sit on a pillow on the couch so as not to end up on my butt practically on the floor trying to watch TV in the evening for my four night stay. Thirdly, the dock for the iron is bolted to the business end (square) of the ironing board with the iron cabled to the dock. The implication is that management's expectation of their clientele is that they will steal anything that's provided or if it's not bolted down. Fourthly, as a platinum elite member, I appreciate a late checkout when available, as I usually wrap up before noon on the last day and then have time to change and pack up for comfortable travel home. I was told 12:30 was the latest they could do for me, even though I was either the only or one of a very few number of guests in the two story double sided building I was in.
Bottom line, is that I appreciated the quiet and size of the room but resented the lack of respect and appreciation this hotel's management has towards the guests responsible for their welfare.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank onehipdad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monroe
Quality Inn & Suites
#1 of 9 in Monroe
Econo Lodge Inn and Suites Monroe
Holiday Inn Express & Suites MONROE
Days Inn & Suites Dundee

Been to Days Inn & Suites Monroe? Share your experiences!