“Overnight in Monroe”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Monroe
Reviewed December 8, 2013

While I wasn't sure what to expect for our overnight at the Quality Inn, I was very impressed with the cleanliness of the room and the beds. The bathroom was very small, but we managed. The pool was great, the kids had a blast. And the free breakfast had a lot of variety. Unfortunately, the rooms could stand to be updated. The only real complaint I had was that the heater was VERY loud, it kept me up most of the night. Even still, I'd recommend it to anyone passing through Monroe.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Shelli C, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We are glad to hear it was pleasant. I want to thank you for letting me know about the heating unit in your room. We are replacing as needed at this point and it sounds like that one may need it. Thank you again for taking the time to make us aware of this issue. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

We arrived early ( check- in at 3) and we were able to get in our room. The desk staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a little bit of time before we wanted to be in Detroit for a football game. We went to Cracker Barrell for lunch, it was very good. We checked out Sterling State Park. We went to the outlet but many of the stores were gone. We did find some Christmas gifts at the Gap Outlet.

Our room was clean but worn looking. The easy chair had a patch on it and the carpet is older. The bed was comfortable. The heat was provided by the venting system/ register along the wall. We had it on low but it made the room pretty toasty. If we turned it off, the room got cold.

Breakfast was nice. They had sausage and gravy, eggs, scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, greek yogurt, poptarts, cereal, bagels, etc..

This was our stopping point coming back from Columbus to Detroit. I think I would stay a bit closer to Detroit next time.

Oh, if you stay here, take your bathing suit! The pool looked very inviting!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment regarding your stay. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay. Monroe does have a lot to offer. You may need to come back in the summer to fully enjoy Sterling State park. The is one of my favorite spots in Monroe.

I want to thank you for your helpful comments about your room as well. I will defiantly get the LazyBoy chair replaced in that room. We hope next time you travel through you will stop and enjoy the pool.

Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is great! Super clean, safe and secure, and the service was awesome. My husband and I got in late and they gave us a discount and upgraded us to a better room. The breakfast is excellent as well. While they have cereal, there is also bacon or sausage and biscuits and gravy as well as all the other normal things expected. It is an older hotel and it's starting show, but if you are looking for a nice place to sleep that's clean, this is it. Also, there is plenty of room to park a Uhaul and there are security cameras all around the building and lights, so it's as safe as it can get without being locked up. :)

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Shelli C, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Katharine,

Thank you so much for taking the time to make a comment about your stay. We love to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The staff here works very hard to make every stay as enjoyable as yours. We hope to see you again in the future. Keep in mind we do have banquet space for showers and family gatherings as well.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

The hotel is on the old side. The rooms were just ok, nothing special. It seemed clean enough with the exception on the stain on the sheets. The free breakfast was again just ok, it's what you would expect from a Quality Inn. Nothing to write home about but if your looking for something just over night it's fine. It does a have a big beautiful indoor pool!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank scraphappy28
Shelli C, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Reviewed October 19, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here overnight in October, 2013. We have a tradition of going out for a nice dinner and stay at a hotel overnight just before he leaves Michigan to go to Florida for the winter. We chose this hotel at random without having a reservation after pulling off I75. Pulling up to the front door, the property looked clean and well kept. My boyfriend had no problem getting a room. The entire facility, which is quite large, was extremely clean. We do a fair amount of traveling up and down I75 between Michigan and Florida, and can tell some horror stories of hotels we have stayed at. Our room on the 4th floor was very clean. We did not hear any noise from other rooms or the hallway. They have a very nice pool and hot tub, although we did not use them. My boyfriend went down for coffee early in the morning (I don't get up quite as early as he does), and he had no sooner pressed the coffee dispenser which spurted empty, than one of the ladies was at his elbow bringing a refill. Breakfast in the morning had something for everyone, such as sweet rolls, cereals, make your own waffles, scrambled egs, sausage pattyies, and biscuits with gray. We would definitely stay here again, and have signed up for the rewards program so we can stay at Quality Inns in other states.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carol C
Shelli C, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

I am very glad you enjoyed our hotel. We have a wonderful staff that work so hard to make sure your stay is the best that it can be. I am very pleased to hear that the breakfast attendant was aware of your boyfriend's needs.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your trip home will include a stop in Monroe. Enjoy your time in nice warm Florida.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I recently made a reservation late in the day last week and when i arrived at the hotel, we realized i had made it for the wrong night. The Guest Service Representative, Nick, saw that I was weary and helped me out. Not only did he fix my mistake, but he gave me an upgrade with a Jaccuzi tub. The room was perfectly clean and comfortable (and so was that tub!!) - but the best part was the excellent customer service. I would highly recommend this hotel. We didn't get a chance to use the pool but everything looked lovely. We are planning on making this hotel part of our travel next year....

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Shelli C, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your survey responses will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will pass along your comments to Nick. Thank you so much for recognizing his hard work.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

In reading reviews, I'll agree it's a nice place. Not large rooms as was stated in other reviews, same size as other rooms in hotels nearby, but, clean compared to the other places. Customer service was above average. The hotel layout is good. The rooms themselves are nice, bathrooms are small and laid out poorly, you feel cramped in there. But the beds are very comfortable. Let me tell you this tho - all Monroe hotels claim they will be booked, but rarely are they ever full, so don't be fooled when you see on web sites "only two rooms left" or the like. We stayed Labor day weekend, Friday was busy there but not booked solid, Saturday of Labor day weekend when you think they are the busiest, barely any other cars/guests there.

Okay, back to the hotel - nice pool, it has a Jacussi next to it. Very refreshing. Good selection in vending machines. Cable selection didn't offer much at all in the way of channels, Newer TV's but couldn't find a way to hook my laptop up to one without having to pay. Internet: they say free - but if you want high-speed, you have to pay extra at Quality Inn. Don't be fooled here either, without paying extra, you get good speeds for normal web surfing, you do not need to pay extra if you are just web surfing (my daughter watched a lot of youtube and music videos with no lag of buffering), no speed problems, so do not pay extra to surf thinking it will be faster, the speed for surfing is just fine.

On our stay, they did a good job of staggering the patrons, there were people two doors down on the opposite side of the hall, but no one directly next to us, so good job on management there for privacy and noise cuz no one was next door to our room. No smoking policy in Michigan wasn't too bad as you can scoot down the elevator and out the door to designated smoking areas, so that wasn't bad, so they accomodate non-smokers with clean air rooms and smokers by not having to spend ten minutes getting out to have a smoke. What else, oh they have a washer and dryer on the fourth floor, didn't think it was a big deal til my daughter wanted to go swimming again and our suits were still wet, so we were able to dry them real quick so we could swim again.

Let's see, big desk in the room, Lazyboy chair was comfortable, (we paid for a run-of-the-mill room, so this was nicer than most run-of-the-mill rooms around Monroe) smaller dressers than the other places, but not tiny.

The only thing lacking was small bathrooms, and no vanity. Didn't think that was bad either til my daughter was in the bathroom for a bit, and I had no way to make coffee or wash a glass or anything you'd need water and a countertop for, like brushing your teeth while someone is in the bathroom. I use a waterpik and having a vanity outside of the bathroom with good space comes in handy at a hotel. But the room was nice overall, so can't fault them too much. The rooms are soundproofed well, there was a fireworks display Saturday night which was loud outside, but we could barely hear them once in the room.

Okay, so this review is filled with some little details for you that normally you don't think of, but are nice to know when deciding on where to stay or not. We would and will go here again (we go to Monroe a lot). Compared to other hotels around it, you do pay more, but it's a nicer room and a nicer complex than the other hotels around it. Oh, and also they have a lot of wall outlets. That doesn't seem like much either, til you plug a few things in and find out you wish you'd brought a six-way power cord. Most hotel rooms lack an abundance of wall outlets, but our room had a lot of them. Another small detail which is big when you find out you need it. All in all: good room, good hotel, good management and staff.

Room Tip: Breakfast selection is better than other hotels in the area