“Business Travelers Dream Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Sterling

Hotel Sterling
Ranked #1 of 2 Monroe B&B and Inns
Minnesota
“Business Travelers Dream Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

This is a true find for business travelers. My husband had a business trip to the nuclear plant in the area this past week. Searching online we found the usual options, "The Big Boxes". But this place offered something really unique, a studio home like option. Every picture we viewed online was a perfect match. This owner has it together in offering exactly what they say the have. A beautifully done historic rehabbed building with contemporary units. Very quiet and a type of clean you will find only at home. Had all the features a business traveler needed including breakfast and refreshments stocked daily. This hotel is located in Monroe's downtown. The area is showing a lot of improvements to historic rehabs including the park/river which is less than block from our front door. Plenty of bars and restaurant options within the 3 block radios. This was a refreshing change for a business travel option. The owner and manager should be very proud to offer such a nice option in this community!

Room Tip: We stayed in 302 however we did get a peak at a couple other rooms and those units looks comparable...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Westland, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here last summer for just one night but we loved the property.It was very private and quite we never heard or seen any other guest.I love that it is close to resturants and shops.Its hard to tell from the exterior that it is even a hotel which makes for a nice stay without people coming and going all the time right outside of your room.We will be back,I cannot wait.Hopefully for more than one night next time.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room off of the ground floor so that your window is not directly on the street.But...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

Staying at Hotel Sterling was fantastic. It was a unique in the fact that it wasn’t staffed but everything went smoothly. Key code to get into bldg is sent via email. Envelope w/your room keys waiting for you on desk in entrance way.

I rated all areas as "excellent", but for sleep quality I knocked that down a notch b/c there was a room a couple doors down from us that had about 15 people in it, partying, singing, and blaring music until about 3am and since the place isnt staffed, theres no one to regulate.

The decor was modern.contemporary.clean. There was a microwave and frig. I LOVED that there was a basket of complimentary breakfast items along w/drinks in the frig. Most places charge you $5 for opening a water but not here. Its all included. There was fresh fruit, oatmeal, granola bars, cereal, milk, pop, juice....etc. Something for everyone.

Downtown Monroe isnt that big and this place is right downtown so everything is pretty much within walking distance, which was convenient. I took my BF here to surprise him for his 33rd b-day. We live in Toledo and saw this place featured on some TV show as a cool place to visit. We both had a great time and were very pleased overall. I have already recommended this place to family and friends. Two thumbs up.

Room Tip: If you parallel park in front of hotel, you will be able to see your vehicle from room 302. However...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Heather O
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

The hotel was clean, beautiful, well maintained, and Debbie was extremely helpful! We loved this place and intend to stay there again. I would recommend this to everyone staying in Monroe, but make sure to call and set up your reservation a day or two early. They are a very small boutique hotel and keep limited staff which ultimately makes it extremely affordable. You won't regret staying here at all.

• Stayed February 2012
McKees Rocks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2012

I didn't want to stay in another "chain type" hotel, and I decided to try the Hotel Sterling .What a great decision. This hotel is a gem. Spacious, tastefully decorated down to small details, business traveller friendly, complimentary drinks and snacks. I wouldn't have been any more comfortable in my own home. Staying at The Sterling took the edge off of an untimely business trip just 2 days before the New Year.
My only regret is that I didn't get to meet the owners, and personally tell them what a great hotel they have. I am looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Tim M
Columbus, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

I grew up in Monroe, MI so I was real curious to see this Hotel. It was just what I expected with all the wonderful reviews---FANTASTIC! We stayed in Room #204 "Avenue" which had a king-size bed and a seperate "step-down" "Living room" which had its own TV, and a large La-Z-Boy pullout sofa, very large table and 2 chairs, microwave, refrigerator (with beverages) and lots of breakfast foods. We got the "Downtown Night out Package" which included a $50 gift card at Monroe Street Grill (fabulous restaurant) and a $10 gift card at a local pub. That package was $155 plus tax. That was a "Deal" because the room rates without the Downtown Night Out Package;
Skyway Suite- $95.00 plus tax
Metropolitan/ Curbside Suites- $112.00 plus tax
Avenue Suite- $125.00 plus tax.

We will definitely stay there again. I didn't have time to take advantage of the SPA next door but their services were quite extensive and fairly-priced.

Room Tip: Not a lot of view being downtown but if you want to see some of downtown get a room on 2nd or 3rd fl...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

I was so pleasantly pleased to pull up to the great little hotel in between Detroit and Toledo. Contemporary, clean, spacious and very private. The room I stayed in was absolutley the best hotel I've been in during my travels. It was so quite and peaceful that I could get a lot of work done as well as enjoy my down time. The ceilings were nice and high so that I didn't even feel like I was in a hotel, it felt like I was in a condo! Look online to see how new the rooms really are! I would also suggest eating right down the street at the Monroe Street Grill - so wonderful I ate there both nights and didn't even try any other restaurants in the town.

Room Tip: I believe all rooms are different floor plans but you cannot go wrong with any of them!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business