“Best in the area, without a doubt”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bamboo Garden

Bamboo Garden
Ranked #62 of 141 Restaurants in Midland
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Michigan
“Best in the area, without a doubt”
Reviewed February 12, 2012

If you REALLY like chinese, this is your place, in fact ask them to cook it chinese style.

Los Angeles, California
“Great Authentic Chinese Taste”
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Very good spicy chicken vegetable, excellent egg roll and sweet and sour soup.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank jm4tl
Midland, Michigan
“Great Authentic Chinese”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

If you want to try the real thing, this is the place to come. If you like it that way, they have great spicy dishes, and also very tasty authentic Chinese food. The best I have been to locally.

mid-Michigan
“A Hidden Gem of a Chinese Restaurant in Midland”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We had lunch here in part based on the good reviews about Bamboo Garden we'd read online -- and I'm pleased to report that we were not disappointed.

We ate from the luncheon buffet, after giving it an initial lookover and being intrigued by some of the more unfamiliar menu items -- a spicy eggplant-napa stir-fry; a spicy chicken dish sprinkled with tiny red peppers; a cold noodle salad. We dotted our plates with little tastes of these dishes as well as familiar fare like Mongolian beef and orange chicken.

We were impressed by the subtlety of the flavors here. The spicy dishes had a pleasant nip to be sure, but the heat didn't detract from the other seasonings. The seasonings were in many cases quite distinct from what you get at a typical Chinese-American buffet; a green-bean and pork stirfry had a pleasing wine/spirit flavor that we enjoyed even though we couldn't quite identify it; the noodle salad had what was perhaps a little star anise in it. Every dish had its own distinct flavor profile -- again, unlike a lot of big Chinese buffets where the emphasis is on quantity. Our tea -- hot for me, iced for my partner -- was very good; light and refreshing.

Things that didn't please us: I tried the wonton soup, which initially looked appealing to me because the wontons were so well made and because the soup included a bit of shredded napa...but the broth had an off-taste to me that I disliked. The eggroll filling was very good, but the eggrolls themselves were just too greasy to eat. (I didn't eat the fried rice, but when I looked at it on the buffet it also seemed a little too oily.)

Ambience: I suspect this restaurant is housed in an old fast-food building; it has that franchise-burger look. The interior, while not dive-y, is modest; no imperial-palace vibe here. Our fellow diners looked to be Dow employees grabbing lunch. (There are, though, two semi-private seating areas off to the side that can maybe hold 10-12 people each, that would be good for larger parties.) Menus and signs are bilingual, which reminded me of the big-city hole-in-the-wall Chinese takeouts we experienced in our travels in NYC. We found our waitperson friendly and courteous.

Overall, we were very excited to experience some unique Chinese food here in mid-Michigan. We are committed to coming back and sampling the dinner menu, which we suspect will offer even more deliciousity.

Michigan
“Underwhelmed.”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Finding this restaurant to be reviewed as #1 in Midland, my husband and I went for dinner. Jeez, really, #1? OK, if you have a very refined palate for Chinese food, I will take the others' word for it in terms of the food. Ours was good, but we didn't order the chicken feet or jellyfish so we can't speak to the amazing Chinese experience. But the total experience, nothing to repeat. There is no wine or liquor at this restaurant, the service is very so-so, and it's sure not much in terms of atmosphere. More than one of the items we wanted to order were not available - I think what we were told was that they don't make some of these items anymore but just haven't changed the menu. Huh.

1 Thank survivorMichigan