“Big city Chinese food in Midland”
Review of China Palace

China Palace
Ranked #37 of 142 Restaurants in Midland
Cuisines: Chinese
Saginaw
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Big city Chinese food in Midland”
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

I stopped in for lunch and had the buffet. One word - extraordinary! Although a bit pricy ($9 for lunch) it's worth every penny. Buffet is fresh and turned over frequently so it's good and hot and fresh from the kitchen. Crispy sesame chicken is my favorite. Service is attentive and always friendly. I've also got take-out several times too over the years and is always accurate and ready when promised. David is usually there in the evenings running the show from the bar greeting customers and taking phone orders. He always makes you feel welcome and as if you are the only one there, even though he's got tons of people in the lobby and the phone ringing off the hook. Thank you China Palace for providing Midland with excellent Chinese cuisine.

Midland, Michigan
“yummy shrimp”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

i ordered the yummy shrimp boyfriend got the buffet great service,great food.good price,great atmosphere.

• Visited October 2013
Bay Area, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Chinese Food”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I am from the west coast where we are spoiled with plenty of fantastic chinese restaurants. This is about the only place in Michigan that offers very good chinese food. I've used take out and dined in on several occasions and quality of food has been consistently good. I am not a buffet person, so I generally order from the menu. Portions are large. Service has always been very good both dine in and take out.

• Visited September 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Very Satisfying take-out experience”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I recently spent a week visiting my sister who lives in Midland, Michigan.
She states that this is one of her favorite local restaurants.
This is an unpretentious restaurant in a small shopping center and near to a major 4-lane highway and other larger stores, restaurant chains, and shopping centers.

We ordered a carry-out menu and ordered one entree for each person and some wonton soup.
Boy, was that a mistake!!!
The food was plentiful and we ended up having left-overs for two more meals!!!

We ordered a standard household favorites from the Cantonese-style menu, including Shrimp with white sauce, Pan-fried Chinese noodles with combination meat (shrimp, scallops, and chicken), Chicken with pea pods, and another shrimp dish.

The flavors are more subtle than you usually find at these ubiquitous Chinese restaurants.
In addition, the soup and the entrees were not too salty as I have often found at other Chinese restaurants.
The abundance of shrimp and large scallops and chicken was a pleasant surprise, given the affordable prices.

The restaurant itself seemed a bit dark and kitschy Asian decor, but the staff were extremely friendly and seemed to enjoy talking with us while we were waiting for our food (we did not call ahead to order, but stopped in and orderd from the carryout menu)
Food was promptly done and nicely hot even after the 15 minute ride home.

I highly recommend this restaurant if you find yourself in Midland, Michigan, the headquarters for Dow Chemical and Dow Corning. This was my favorite restaurant in Midland during my week-long stay.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank cincydoc2011
Midland
“Second Review - Buffet”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My husband, niece, and myself went there of a Friday at 6:30 p.m. All of us ordered the buffet. This was the first time in 20 years of going there that I ever ordered the buffet and boy, what a disappointment. My husband wants never to return there. Staff had no interest in keeping the buffet full and when we complained to our waiter we were greeted by a so what attitude. I get that it was Friday night, but they took everyones' money and they didn't seem to have anyone assigned to the buffet. After 20 years of being my favorite Chinese restaurant, I think we might be shopping for a new one in the Midland area. I know that it won't be Pi's.

• Visited May 2013