“3 am fire alarm??”

Best Western Valley Plaza Inn
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Midland
Reviewed February 26, 2011

I booked a stay at the Best Western Valley Plaza Resort and the hotel doesn't live up to it's name. This was not a resort. It's a hotel from the 1980's that is in desperate need of a renovation. There was no electrical outlet near the bed so I had to get an extension cord from the front desk to power my sleeping apparatus. We had the inconvenience of a 3am fire alarm which went off for entirely too long. The only good part about this hotel was that it was located close to a local bowling alley and bar which saved the trip.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 21, 2011

We had a birthday party in a suite for a group of 6 teenagers. They enjoyed the 3 pools and 2 hot tubs. We also enjoyed some of the other amenities on property, a putt putt golf course and the well priced movie theater. The continental breakfast had a lot of options and the staff kept things well stocked. Everything was in walking distance and the staff was very quick at getting us extra pillows and other things we needed.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Yes, our room was clean, but getting there was like walking through a dungeon. There was some creepy bearded guy that was always lurking around. There was a mantenance man knocking on doors, a woman with a huge rip up the butt of her pants telling everyone she was going to Texas, a lady actually bathing in the whirlpool, and kids with garbage mouths up at all hours of the night. The room has no microwave, we were charged for a refridgerator that didn't work, and a safe that we didn't even need. I wouldn't even let my teenagers go off by themselves, that is how creepy of an aura this place had. At least half of the games in the arcade were broken, the billard table was missing a ball, and the kids area was very dim. They advertise all of these wonderful ammenities, but they are not worth it trust me! The whole place gave me a bad feeling. We pretty much locked ourselves in our room and left the next morning. I will not stay there again. We will be traveling with a group several times throughout the year, and it's also a shame that they couldn't even offer us a special group rate or open the breakfast area a little earlier for us. I would rather stay at a dive than this creepy hotel! It reminded me of the shining.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank saragrace3333333333
Reviewed November 4, 2010

This is the 2nd time I've stayed here, due to business in the area. Unfortunately, there are not many choices in Midland. Upon arrival, the parking lot was completely full with hardly a place to park. There was certainly no place to park within a safe distance of the doors for a female traveling alone. It turned out there was a charity "chocolate festival" of some sort next door, whose attendees had overtaken the hotel's parking lot (even though they were apparently not supposed to be parking at the hotel).
Upon entering my room, after hauling my luggage quite a ways and getting cat-called by some guys in the hallway of the hotel...I found my room freezing. The temperature was only in the 40s, and the heat in the rooms that were empty was not turned on. It never did warm up; I was very cold all night despite running the small heater unti. The rooms all have a large glass patio door directly to the outside, which is concerning, although they do have locks on them.
The bed was average. The room was clean and good-sized. There was no fridge or microwave, but due to the cold room itself and the patio doors, placing my soda on the floor near the patio door to the outside kept my soda plenty cold.
Definitely not an ideal stay, but I've certainly stayed at a lot worse places.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 1, 2010

Its nice place good rooms and frendly staff , They have very nice big swimming pool and separate pool for kids also .We stayed week end and had a lot of fun.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank matt7809
Reviewed September 15, 2010

We wanted a last family weekend before school started and heard that the Valley Plaza resort had a lot to offer. For the most part it did what it lacked was clean rooms, and no manager on property when we checked out on Monday--we stayed labor day weekend. We had issues with our room and had to wait up to 30 min. until the staff at the front desk could get a hold of a manager to assist us with a refund.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I was quite worried after reading reviews but only one person in our group wasn't happy with their room. It needs some updating but not as bad as people suggest. The pool was clean, the staff was friendly and the breakfast was fine. The bowling alley people were very friendly and even opened the mini golf section up for the team.

• Stayed: August 2010
Travelers also viewed these Midland hotels
Baymont Inn & Suites Midland
#9 of 11 in Midland
Hampton Inn Midland
Hampton Inn Midland
#2 of 11 in Midland

Been to Best Western Valley Plaza Inn? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Best Western Valley Plaza Inn

Address: 5221 Bay City Rd, Midland, MI 48642-6351 (Formerly BEST WESTERN Valley Plaza Inn)
Location: United States > Michigan > Midland
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Room Service Shuttle Bus service Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Midland
Price Range: $75 - $108 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Best Western Valley Plaza Inn 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Best Western, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Best Western Valley Plaza Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Best Western Valley Plaza Hotel Midland