“Great Mini Vacation”

Best Western Valley Plaza Inn
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Midland
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We had a chance to get away and stayed at Valley Plaza Resort /Suites. We had a really great room in a nice quite location, very clean and a nice whirlpool tub too..So relaxing for us. The staff at the Healt Club was very nice and the Main Hotel the staff was so nice and told us all about the resort and what we could do. It was snowing out so we decide to walk to the Studio M Theater and take in a movie and enjoy warm popcorn after coming in from the cold. It was a nice place to go for a short break and we look forward to going back very soon.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anne7922
There are newer reviews for Best Western Valley Plaza Inn

Reviewed March 13, 2011

Received a gift certificate to this "resort" for Christmas. There were 20 of us in total with kids ranging from 17 months to 16 years old. When we first arrived we were in the Best Western standard rooms. First impression very creepy feeling when we walked through the cold and dark hallways. They had heaters on the brick walls in the hallway to try to keep it warm. The rooms were dark musty and very old looking. 2 out of our 4 rooms had no heat at all. BTW...they keep the rooms thermostats at 55 degrees so needless to say we had to crank the heat and leave our coats on. 2 of us had to switch rooms because the heat never went on. We went to the pool area and it was very dark. Half the games in the arcade were out of order. That night we decided to switch rooms to the other part of the hotel the Valley Plaza "suites". The staff was not very accomodating at first, they seemed offended that we didn't want to stay there. These rooms were better, still no heat. We had to call maintenance for two of the rooms again. We ended up having to switch rooms because the heat never worked in one at all. When the maintenance man fixed the heat in the other room, he accidently shut off the refrigerator so the baby's milk went bad. The rooms were very old fashioned, stains on carpet, chairs, and the towels were an odd yellowish color. There were three unidentified hairs in the shower...yes some curly. The pool area was much brighter in this hotel and the kids did like the dolphin statue. The bowling alley and putt putt golf were great and it was a great escape from the hotel. They have a little movie theater that had not been cleaned up between shows but it was only 3.75 a movie...the concessions offer stale popcorn. Our package offered a continental breakfast with make your own waffles, mystery sausage, and cold eggs. I ate yogurt and a muffin...they were good. At this point I am noticing that this hotel is in desperate need of good lighting. We actually saw some kids playing Bloody Mary in the hallway to a portrait...my sentiments exactly.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank valleygirl432
Reviewed February 26, 2011

I booked a stay at the Best Western Valley Plaza Resort and the hotel doesn't live up to it's name. This was not a resort. It's a hotel from the 1980's that is in desperate need of a renovation. There was no electrical outlet near the bed so I had to get an extension cord from the front desk to power my sleeping apparatus. We had the inconvenience of a 3am fire alarm which went off for entirely too long. The only good part about this hotel was that it was located close to a local bowling alley and bar which saved the trip.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2011

We had a birthday party in a suite for a group of 6 teenagers. They enjoyed the 3 pools and 2 hot tubs. We also enjoyed some of the other amenities on property, a putt putt golf course and the well priced movie theater. The continental breakfast had a lot of options and the staff kept things well stocked. Everything was in walking distance and the staff was very quick at getting us extra pillows and other things we needed.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Yes, our room was clean, but getting there was like walking through a dungeon. There was some creepy bearded guy that was always lurking around. There was a mantenance man knocking on doors, a woman with a huge rip up the butt of her pants telling everyone she was going to Texas, a lady actually bathing in the whirlpool, and kids with garbage mouths up at all hours of the night. The room has no microwave, we were charged for a refridgerator that didn't work, and a safe that we didn't even need. I wouldn't even let my teenagers go off by themselves, that is how creepy of an aura this place had. At least half of the games in the arcade were broken, the billard table was missing a ball, and the kids area was very dim. They advertise all of these wonderful ammenities, but they are not worth it trust me! The whole place gave me a bad feeling. We pretty much locked ourselves in our room and left the next morning. I will not stay there again. We will be traveling with a group several times throughout the year, and it's also a shame that they couldn't even offer us a special group rate or open the breakfast area a little earlier for us. I would rather stay at a dive than this creepy hotel! It reminded me of the shining.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank saragrace3333333333
Reviewed November 4, 2010

This is the 2nd time I've stayed here, due to business in the area. Unfortunately, there are not many choices in Midland. Upon arrival, the parking lot was completely full with hardly a place to park. There was certainly no place to park within a safe distance of the doors for a female traveling alone. It turned out there was a charity "chocolate festival" of some sort next door, whose attendees had overtaken the hotel's parking lot (even though they were apparently not supposed to be parking at the hotel).
Upon entering my room, after hauling my luggage quite a ways and getting cat-called by some guys in the hallway of the hotel...I found my room freezing. The temperature was only in the 40s, and the heat in the rooms that were empty was not turned on. It never did warm up; I was very cold all night despite running the small heater unti. The rooms all have a large glass patio door directly to the outside, which is concerning, although they do have locks on them.
The bed was average. The room was clean and good-sized. There was no fridge or microwave, but due to the cold room itself and the patio doors, placing my soda on the floor near the patio door to the outside kept my soda plenty cold.
Definitely not an ideal stay, but I've certainly stayed at a lot worse places.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 1, 2010

Its nice place good rooms and frendly staff , They have very nice big swimming pool and separate pool for kids also .We stayed week end and had a lot of fun.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends