“Remember, it's in a mall food court...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Saginaw
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Remember, it's in a mall food court...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We were excited to see Chip N Wich win the Food Network's Food Court Wars. When we watched the episode, we rooted for Chip n Wich because we thought their food was better looking and more appetizing than the middle eastern style restaurant they were competing against. Plus it was a bonus for us because we would have the opportunity to taste the food we were seeing on TV since the episode took place in our hometown.

Chip n Wich had been open for about two months now. We purposely waited until now to try it so all the normal kinks of a new restaurant opening were worked out.

We (wife and I) went on a Sunday afternoon. There were two employees there who appeared very pleasant and provided great service. Kudos because good service unfortunately is lacking in a lot of quick service and fast food restaurants these days.

On to the food. Perhaps as winners of the Food Court Wars I think we had our expectations set too high. After all, it is a mall food court. But as we were talking over our meal, we thought, why can't our expectations be set to a higher level, after all they won a food court war on a national television show. I'm sorry, but we were disappointed.

I ordered the Jones' BBQ sandwich which had the ranch chipotle chips. My wife ordered the Good Fella which came with Parmesan chips. Both sandwiches came on a brioche roll. The rolls were very thick in comparison to what came on the sandwich. The rolls also did not taste fresh (almost like day or two old bakery bread). I asked for the salt and pepper bun I saw on the episode but I was told they only had the brioche. The chicken on my sandwich tasted like fresh pulled chicken and had onions in it. It was very fresh and the chicken moist. It was mixed in a BBQ sauce that was nothing special. A piece of cold smoked Gouda which did not melt was on top.

My wife's good fella was smothered in mayo with salami, pepperoni and provolone. A balsamic vinegrette was also on there. Nothing stood out about this sandwich and again in comparison with the contents of the sandwich, the bun simply was too big.

One of the unique attributes to this restaurant are its chips. They are homemade ridged chips. They were crunchy and thicker than the standard run on the mill potato chip. I thought the chip itself was fantastic. However, the spices of ranch chipotle were simply too much and overpowering. I like spicy foods, but did not care for the amount of heat on the chip. My wife's Parmesan chips were tasty but the Parmesan cheese just fell off.

We also tried their signature floats. I had the orange and my wife the rock n rye. They are made with Faygo pop which of course is home-grown Michigan right there. Faygo Pop and vanilla ice cream; you can't ask for a better combination.

Our bill came to $18.00 plus tax. A bit steap in my opinion for a food court and food court quality food. I don't see us going back for mediocre food at a high end price.

There was also no line here, but the other establishments did. None of the mall employees we saw sitting down eating had Chip n Wich in front of them. Perhaps they are still working out the kinks, but if they don't improve a bit, I simply do not see them surviving past the one year lease they won from the show. I think their concept is great and their food has a lot of potential.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Midland, Michigan
“kind of expensive for mall food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

I had the bbq chicken sandwich and an order for Parmesan chips with a Faygo red pop. This cost almost $10, which is a bit high for the mall. The bbq chicken sandwich was not that great, instead of having the sauce cooked into the chicken there was just a small amount drizzled on the top. The chips that came with it were so spicy I had a hard time eating them. The only thing I could taste was the heat, nothing else and that overpowered the taste of the sandwich. The Parmesean chips were ok, but had very little cheese on them and they were very greasy as by the time lunch was over they had leaked all the way through the paper bag they were in (I got my order to go). Also it is a bit high to be paying $1.50 for a 12oz can of red pop when I can get a 2 liter of the same Faygo pop for the same price or lower at the grocery store. Overall it was ok, but I probably wont eat here again due to the price point. The first week they were open the lines were super long at lunch and I couldn't make it during the time I had. When I went there today there was no one waiting and lines at all the other places during the lunch hour rush. I really don't think they will last after their free year lease is up.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank momma_of_kitties
Michigan
“A Great Sandwich”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Chip N Wich is in the Food Court inside the Midland Mall, This little restaurant was featured on the Food Network last month on the show Food Court Wars. They won free of rent for a year as a prize.

Chip N Wich features a choice of five sandwiches all topped with different flavored homemade potato chips. I had the turkey-avocado sandwich topped with bacon and jalapeno chips. The sandwich is very thick so in order to eat it, I took the chips off and squeezed the sandwich down.
The sandwich was very good and eventually I took the bun top off and ate it that way. The chips I had weren't too spicy which was good. My husband ordered the Italian sandwich and his came with potato chips dusted with parmesan cheese. Those chips were great too!

Faygo and Vernors soda is sold as drink choices. We did not have any since we prefer diet soda.
We'll be sure to go back to try other sandwiches next time!

1 Thank DonandSheron
Sanford, Michigan
“Unique and delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Chip N Wich just opened a few days before our visit. They won Food Court Wars on the Food Network. They make their own flavored chips fresh daily and put them IN the sandwiches! It makes for a delicious and crunchy sandwich. They have several unique sandwiches and floats made from Faygo pop and Vernors as they keep everything made in Michigan. The food took a bit to be ready, but was probably due to being a brand new restaurant. It was worth the wait. My only complaint is that they do not have diet pop.

• 5 of 5 bubbles