“Redefining the Holiday Inn brand”

Holiday Inn Midland
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Midland
East Lansing, Michigan
“Redefining the Holiday Inn brand”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

If you haven't stayed in a regular Holiday Inn in a while (like me), your mental picture of Holiday Inn may be one of once reasonably nice middle-of-the road properties that have become very tired and dated over the years, and as such a hotel chain to largely avoid. If the The Midland, MI Holiday Inn is representative of the "new" Holiday Inn, my impression has completely changed. First, the property is very attractive, from the exterior to the public areas to the guest rooms. My room was spacious, modern, comfortable, clean, and well-decorated. The hotel restaurant doubles as a huge, upscale-looking sports bar with a good menu and ample selection of beers and other beverages. Staff at both the front desk and restaurant were personable and helpful. Even the housekeeping staff was remarkably friendly and efficient, going out of their way to cheerfully greet guests they encountered. My only complaint was the very steep price for one night, no doubt a function of strong demand due to a nearby youth soccer tournament that weekend. Seemed like gouging despite the otherwise nice experience. The location near the mall and other businesses was a plus.

1 Thank sparcouvol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Byron Center, Michigan
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We come here every year and have the Grandkids overnight. We love the kids eat free if 12 or under. We also enjoy the E restaurant adjoining so always eat poolside, which is nice and easy and no one has to change clothes. Josie is our favorite waitress! The pool is fairly small, but in the shape of Michigan and they enjoy it a lot. the hot tub is both indoors and outdoors. The beds are nice and the comforter is cozy. the staff is friendly and that includes everyone. if you meet the cleaning staff in the hall they smile and wish you a great day. the check in staff noticed and commented about my granddaughter's new dress outfit and it made her day. there is no breakfast, but apples or oranges available in a basket and free coffee in the lobby. the prices are not cheap. we paid 135 total. it helps that the kids get free meals, which saved us about $20.00. my only complaint is how noisy (and I admit my grandkids contributed to it) the area around the pool can get. there is an adult time in late evening when kids are not allowed to swim so the adults can do so in peace. also, the air in the pool room was very cold compared to our past experiences. It's usually like a sauna in there and we were cold when getting out of the pool trying to eat. If you have kids, this is our place of choice for Midland. Enjoy!

2 Thank emptywallet
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We really liked the pool area in this hotel with adjoining sports bar. The rooms were nice and the beds super comfortable. The bathroom was clean and appeared to be recently rennovated. It was also close to stores and walking distance to a walmart. No regrets at all, but we didnt exactly get a great rate, so we might go elsewhere next time for a continental breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank lotzasmiles
NC
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I had just spent the night before in another Holiday Inn (this one an express) in another town that I was very disappointed in, so wasn't sure what to expect. The staff was amazing, I ordered breakfast to go in the restaurant downstairs and they helped me carry it all up to my family in my room. The rooms were spotless, the décor was modern, clean and very nice. The beds were very comfortable. There is a game room for the kids, a nice indoor pool area with a heated pool and hot tub which is large, half indoors and half outdoors. The restaurant serves decent food at a fair price, very large portions. It was quiet and we were able to sleep well.

The only issue I had was my key to the room quit working, I went downstairs and had it reset, went back to my room and it still didn't work. The clerk at the desk was in training and didn't know that if the key fails twice it usually means you need to reset the lock. Instead she gave me a completely new key to the room, which still didn't work. My room was on the 4th floor, and the elevators are very slow, I went through all these trips up and down with a 4 year old in tow doing the potty dance. Finally another clerk came up with me and reset the lock, it worked after that. She explained to me the clerk was in training and didn't realize this. Otherwise, our stay was excellent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
bflavin, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Midland, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
NcTarheelFan,
First, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and writing us such kind words in your review. Our company strives themselves on providing every guest with the best possible experience to every guest from the minute the arrive in the parking lot to the minute they leave. I am glad that you enjoyed our room decor and cleanliness.

I would like to apologize for the issues you had with your room door. In the next managers meeting will be sure to bring that up as a training point during our front desk orientation. Again, we appreciate you being an IHG Rewards Club member and we hope you stay with us again soon.
Gulfport, Mississippi
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I Stayed here on business for 2 weeks or so.

-Pro's-

All staff encountered in the 2 weeks were pleasant and flexible with changes.
Decent location for my business.
Pool and game room are nice for relaxing, mini gym is ok.
Clean and safe atmosphere.

-Cons-

Building designers forgot an elevator or two. There's only 1 on each end of the building making for trying to move quickly between floors a bit of a waiting game. Hotel staff at midday use the North end to move carts for cleaning further adding to the problem.
Internet speed. At best it was mediocre for what i expect. At worst it is .7 DL and 1.5 Up. So netflix etc doesn't work well.
This is a holiday inn and not an express so no free breakfast. Dealbreaker for me but i didn't reserve this stay.
This is a mini quirk that added just enough to annoy me about the room. You need to flip a lightswitch at the door to make the switches in the bathroom do anything (Fan, lights). Yea, weird.

Conclusion:

Its not an awful hotel but its not a stellar one either. For my own personal interests the internet speed and the elevator situation really offset the wonderful efforts of the staff and overall niceness of the hotel facility. So i come away from this place with an average rating and if i had the choice myself to reserve a hotel i'd give the Marriott across the street a shot.

Room Tip: Room on the North side will get you closer to the less used elevator and only set of stairs that goe...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
bflavin, Communications Director at Holiday Inn Midland, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Fiveball,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your 2 week stay in Midland and for providing us with feedback. We would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered on your stay with us. Our IT Director will be sure to look into the issues regarding internet speed to ensure that we do not encounter this problem in the future. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you again in the future.
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed here for three nights, July 3-6, 2013, with wife and 6 and 8-year-old daughters. We travel to Midland once or twice a year. In the past, we would stay at The H Hotel downtown. It is a fine hotel and we especially like having breakfast at Zinc Cafe. Last year, The H Hotel was booked one night during our stay so we tried the new Holiday Inn (H.I.). I'm glad we did because this hotel is a better fit for for our family. The rooms are bigger. H.I. offers up to three queens sized beds in a room (see photo). H.I.'s rooms have refrigerators and microwaves, and there is a wide selection of high definition television channels, including the Disney Channel.

My girls like the indoor pool and the indoor/outdoor hot tub. There is a small game room, too. My wife and I like that the restaurant next door, Big E's Sports Bar, serves a full menu from breakfast through late night at the pool and has a remote control call button at each table by the pool. Big E's has its own seating, too, indoors and outdoors, and is a popular evening spot.

The service was efficient and friendly each time we stayed. The room was clean. If you ask at the front desk, they will give you "kids eat free" breakfast coupons.

The location is close to a plethora of stores and chain restaurants including Meijer, Wal-Mart, Target, Starbucks, Bennigan's, Ruby Tuesday, and Olive Garden. There is a newer cinema next door.

Room Tip: This hotel offers rooms with three queen-sized beds. Ask for kids eat free breakfast coupons from t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank JajaAddy
Reviewed July 10, 2013

What a great hotel....large and clean rooms. This hotel is right in the heart of all the shopping and activities in Midland. Breakfast not included but the restaurant attached to the hotel had a GREAT breakfast buffet :-). Great pool area as well.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family