“Average food...”

Cuisines: American
Description: Located close to Silver Lake Dunes
Description: Located close to Silver Lake Dunes
Reviewed August 6, 2014

This restaurant was conveniently located right next door to our hotel, so we decided to check it out. The decor needs updating, but the food was decent. I especially liked the waffle fries as they were seasoned perfectly and very crispy. We also both enjoyed the salad bar on 2 occasions. The salad bar seemed to have fresh items and continuously replenished. The soup was also fresh, hot and spiced just right. I am all about soup that is made from scratch and on both days it tasted like it was. The price of the soup and salad bar was $5.99, which I thought was reasonable and if you added it to your meal it was only $2.99. The entrees were a bit on the pricey side considering you are in a not so nicely decorated restaurant (more like a diner style), however the portion size was ok and flavor seemed to be there on all of our dishes.

I found the service to be a bit slow, but the restaurant was to capacity with a line waiting out the door. This is probably due to the fact that they are the only sit down restaurant in town. If I visited Silver Sand Dunes again I would probably go back to this restaurant only if Fricken Chicken, which has the absolute most amazing wings I have ever had was closed. Chicken restaurant is located in the small strip mall just down the road.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

We visited this restaurant on Monday, July 28th. We stayed at the Dunes Waterfront Resort and decided on this restaurant because of its convenient location. When we arrived, our first impression was needs updating, dingy, and uncomfortable. We figured this is a Mom & Pop type place and decided to look past these minor details. Our service was good but not great. We also found the menu pretty limited. I decided on the Club Sandwich. At first glance, the sandwich looked like any other Club. After dinner we headed back to our hotel and went to bed.

Around 2AM I started feeling violently ill, I'll spare you the details. This lasted until about 10 PM on Tuesday night. I know that something on the sandwich is what made me so ill as I didn't eat anything else on Monday. Our entire vacation, which costed us upwards of $400 was ruined. My husband went back on Tuesday just to notify the restaurant manager named Jeff. He was not asking for any handouts he was simply just informing the restaurant of the issue so that it could be resolved and not affect anyone else. Jeff started out defensive, as any restaurant manager would but soon he was just insulting and even told my husband to "Get some balls," when we told him we wouldn't be visiting the emergency room. We are both in the hospitality industry would NEVER speak to a guest like that. He also kept saying that the Health Inspector was there the day before,and the Health Inspector would be returning the following day, Not sure what kind of place has the Health Inspector visiting them so often, but maybe they are having problems often like I had. Either way I would not recommend this place to even my worst enemy and I can't believe that any respectable place would hire a manager like JEFF.

1  Thank chelcDV
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I'm not the type of person to write a review about anything. Good or bad. Any bad experience I have I just take it as a learning experience and know where not to go back to.

My wife and I met two of our friends for a relaxing 2 day mini vacation. We arrived a bit late so ended up having dinner later in the evening so not too much was open close by our hotel. There were a few other places we would have rather gone to but this one was convenient so we decided to just try it. Everyone except my wife got fried food. It was pretty gross. Definitely right out of the frozen packaging. My friend said his fish was OK. My wife had the club sandwich. We wandered around town for a bit and called it a night. 6am my wife was up throwing up. She was completely laid out for the rest of our vacation. To keep it non graphic, she had flu like symptoms with NO flu. If anyone has had food poisoning you know how awful it is.

I stopped into the Sands to inform management of the situation. I spoke with Jeff who seemed to be either an owner or kitchen manager. I told him of what had happened. Let him know I wasn't looking for anything but just wanted to bring to his attention so he could take the appropriate action so no one else would get sick. That's it. Nothing more. He seemed to think I had another agenda and kept repeating that there is no way it is food poisoning and pawned it off as something else that she may have eaten earlier in the day. Well she worked all day and only had a bag of chips until that dinner. It was very obvious what was wrong with her. I gave him my information and left.

About 3 hours later I received a call at our hotel from the manager asking how she was. I said she was terrible. He asked me if I would take her to the hospital. I said no as we do not have insurance right now and that would be something we couldn't afford. Plus I've had food poisoning before and did not need to go to the hospital. You have to wait it out unfortunately. Then he says, "get some balls and take her to the hospital". Never in my life have I been talked to like that from a business. Needless to say I wasn't too friendly to him and then demanded my money back. He said OK so I stopped over to the restaurant. He came out of the side door on the main street and handed me cash. Didn't want anyone else to see I assume. Offered a half apology and asked me where I was from. I let him know that he ruined our vacation and turned to leave. As I did I heard him chuckle under his breath. I knew I needed to get away from him so I left.

I was completely baffled by the complete disrespect and nastiness. On top of accusations that I was lying when I didn't even ask for anything at all in the beginning. Only until he began getting nasty did I start to lose it. I'm sure he will get on here and respond saying we were in the wrong somehow. Not sure how that would be possible as I have 3 other people to back me up.

STAY AWAY. There are many more places to eat that you will not get sick. Plus the health department seems to visit there every other day. Something must be up.

4  Thank dallav1
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We eat there every August, Chicken is amazing. Ribs are tremendous, Kids loved the Stromboli. Always do the Dunes then supper at the Sands. We will be there again this august.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

We showed up at noon for lunch and they weren't serving it because there was a rush on the breakfast buffet. When I didn't order because I didn't want breakfast the server didn't even offer an apologize or an option. We also to remind the server to bring out several parts of or order and the OJ my husband ordered never made it too the table but made it on the bill. There were several other places coming into Mears that looked better, next time I'd go for one of them before going back here. As for the food... It appeared to be all pre-processed off the truck, nothing fresh. Would have loved to tried there "famous ribs" but that isn't going to happen.