“Better than Miami”

Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Mears
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Better than Miami”
Reviewed September 4, 2011

She is such a beautiful tower! I love the red brick that stands out in that beautiful natural scenery. I hear they have a great keepers program too!

1 Thank NesianNomad

Ashland, Ohio
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“One of the nicer lighthouses you'll visit”
Reviewed August 20, 2011

This is a beautifiul lighthouse on a very nice beach. It is in excellent condition with ample room to climb up and down. There are a couple hatches near the top that are narrow and you have to stoop a lot to get through. Once at the top the observation deck is nice and wide easily allowing two people to pass. There is a great view of the lake and shoreline from the top. I think it was a couple bucks each to go up. The volunteers working there were most pleasant and informative. I would definitely recommend it. A large paved parking lot is adjacent. The only drawback was it cost $8 to park in the lot even if just going to the ighthouse and not the beach. That was kind of a surprise.

Visited August 2011
Howell, Michigan
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Interesting”
Reviewed July 21, 2011

It was fun climbing up the lighthouse and looking out. There isn't really much "to do" so if your kids are expecting something exciting this may not be the place to take them. We took our 9 and 10 year old boys and they liked climbing up and looking out which freaked them out a bit. It has some really cool views from the top. This is pretty scary for someone afraid of heights but overall it is worth the $1 and $2 admission.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank millerjunk
Hazel Crest, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dogs no longer welcome near Ludington lighthouses”
Reviewed January 13, 2011

This was my 10th visit to this beautiful little lighthouse on the beach. It will also be my last. The new caretakers of the 3 Ludington lighthouses have declared these properties dog free. This is their property and they make the rules...I can accept that. What really irritated me was I wasn't even allowed to enter the parking lot because I had a dog in my car. I visited a total of 12 other Michigan lighthouses on this trip and dogs were permitted on the property of every one of them, and even inside a couple of them. So from now on, I'll take my money and visit other communities where I'm not treated like a third class citizen just because I have a dog in my car.

Visited September 2010
1 Thank tundra2709
Lansing, Michigan
217 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 781 helpful votes
“Beautiful Lighthouse in the Dunes”
Reviewed September 29, 2008

We visited Little Sable Lighthouse during a fall like weekend in September.

The bad news about this lighthouse is only the tower is left. The house was knocked down the state of Michigan in the 1950's. The good news is that this is one of the most beautiful lighthouse towers we have seen.

The lighthouse is no longer whitewashed, and is a red color, which is the color of its exposed brick. There are beautiful arched windows at the top and a balcony that you can look out on. The lighthouse also contains the original fresnel lens.

From May through September you can climb the tower, which is about 100 feet tall. The cost to climb is $2.

There is a short, sandy path that you have to walk on to get to the lighthouse. From the parking lot the lower portion of the tower is blocked by dunes, which makes for some spectacular photography.

After you see the lighthouse, you can walk along the beach as it is part of the state park.

2 Thank Jason P