“not a resort!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mears
Silver Sands Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Mears
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“not a resort!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

As soon as I pulled up it was not what I expected it to be. The place calls themselves a "resort" or a hotel, but once you get to your room the truth comes out. The room looked like a cheap motel you see in cities where people rent by the week or live there. All the papers said it was a motel in the room. But everywhere they advertise they call themselves a resort. When I entered the room it smelled like mold, the need to add salt to their well water because the sulfur smell when using water was the worst I have ever smelt. The shampoo in the bathroom was half used, you had to flush the toilet 3 times for it to flush properly. The worst was the owner is VERY rude. When I went to ask about pricing because we had a brochure that stated a different price he yelled, I asked him to calm down and speak in an inside voice and he told me that if I didn't like it I could leave. He offered me a refund but there was no where else to stay. I would not advise anyone who is looking for a "clean" establishment to stay at to stay at this place, it is far from a resort or hotel... more like a truck stop motel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lil_lil_1999
silversandsresort, Manager at Silver Sands Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
This person came in with an old brochure and was very angry about paying more than the starting out price in the old brochure. Management tried to tell her it was an old brochure and show her the new one but she still argued. The staff person asked her if she paid the price she was quoted when she made the reservation and she would not answer. She then went on to say that the website even has the lower price, in order for her to calm down we pulled up the website in front of her and showed her the site. She finally stood quiet and then started to complain about everything. Management asked if she wanted to leave and she said she would talk to her girlfriend who was back in the room. We had to go to the room and ask what they wanted to do because they would not answer the phone. We were waiting on them to make a decision because we had housekeeping waiting to go back in and reclean the room. We had people waiting. Voices were raised but all voices were raised. It is unfortunate that because she did not get a discount she had to write a negative review. Obviously we are not the place for her.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The resort is right next to 3 rather loud go kart tracks although they quit running at 11;00 or so. Just a heads up to be ready for a bit of noise. The room itself was fine. They have a $50 cancellation fee so beware.

Room Tip: The west and north ends may be more quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This is a "resort" in the same way a lot of trailer parks are called "estates". While the property also has "cottages" (very small houses), we stayed in the "motel" part. It was not what I expected! Yet, it fit with the rest of the town. The areas are small and cramped, even though the pictures on their website make it look much bigger and spacious. The room we reserved was called "premium", but it was not much bigger than a normal hotel room. The parking lot is very small and tight. There is a front door and a back door for each room, so each room opens to a back porch (not private), with grass, picnic tables and grills. There is also a fenced pool behind this grassy area. The pool is large and the water was warm, even though it wasn't technically heated (they use a pool cover to keep the heat in) We were disappointed to find they had taken out the diving board, even though one is shown on their website, but enjoyed the deeper water than most hotel pools. There is also a playground and a shuffle board, with supplies, next to the pool. A block away is the small beach, which does not taper into the lake, but has a wall so you would have to step down to wade in the water. It is right next to a popular water rental place, so you wouldn't really want to swim anyway. You have to go around a private beach area to get to another small resort owned beach, that has a pier, another small play structure and an adult bench swing. My husband and I enjoyed sitting on the swing as the sun set. We did not like that there are no real curtains on the room window - just vertical blinds that had large slats with gaps. Since our neighbors kept coming to our room instead of their own, we removed the bed sheet and draped it over the window. Also annoying is that the bathroom widow only has a sheer curtain over it. We put a towel over this window. Right across the street is a go cart place, where you drive carts around a track. This is very noisy! However, they close around 10, so it was pretty quiet during the night and mornings.

Besides the campground, this is the cheapest place to stay in the area, so you get what you pay for. There is Wi-Fi, with three options for access so you can chose which is working the best for you. However, there is spotty cell phone service - others complained, too, all across town, so it wasn't just the hotel or our provider. There is a landline phone, a dorm-size fridge, and a nice cable TV in each room We wished there was a microwave, as we like to eat popcorn. There are a few small town diners/eating places within walking distance.

The resort actually fit in with it's surroundings, as this is a small tourist town in a fairly remote area. So, while it was not what we are used to, neither was anything in that area. We would probably stay there again, unless we could afford the more expensive place down the street.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JuwelAnn
East Jordan, Michigan
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I love this place! I have been there three times and going again this summer (July). I have stayed in the beach house (lakeside) (my favorite) and once in the hotel part. This is NOT a place to go if you are looking for quiet! There are kids, lots of kids, there is a pool, tons of people walking around (during the day). Now, with noise mentioned.....here is the kicker....every night it was quiet...slept like a baby!! Yes, hard to believe but I kid you not....it was quiet. I think all the activities and restaurants close by 10pm....thus things quiet down. It's a short ride or drive to the dunes...

The staff is friendly and very helpful.....if you forget something at home (blow dryer) they have some up front.

The rooms are always spotless and fresh smelling.

The beach house rooms are the best, but accommodate 2 people. The view of the lake is like no other. The beach is quiet and big. This is a great place to stay!

Room Tip: If you can get a beach house room facing the lake....DO IT!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JillHegedus
Roseville, Minnesota
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was not impressed. My husband and I stayed in a motel room for a family wedding. The room layout was unique. Here are my complaints:
The toilet trickled all night; The trucks were extremely loud in the morning; People were up partying loud all night; The tv remote and phone did not function; The mattress was firm and the pillows were cheap; There was no hair dryer; The shower spout was at chest height.
My main complaint is that when we were getting ready for the wedding, the maids keyed into our room 3 times in a half hour after we kept telling them "no thank you, go away". As if they couldn't hear us screaming at them through the paper thin walls...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
silversandsresort, Manager at Silver Sands Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
It was Memorial weekend at Silver Lake. The trucks and sand vehicles are here for the dunes. Did you go to management at all with your complaints? We have staff on hand to stop the toilet from trickeling, replace the remote and fix the phone,but you need to tell us when you are here, not on social media. Not everyone loves a firm mattress it is hard to buy one that everyone likes. The shower head ,we agree, we have come to the conclusion the plummer must have been around 5 feet and put them to his liking many years ago. Working on that. The walls are made of cement blocks so maybe the housekeeping staff really did not hear you until you "screamed at them" . Our Apologizes . We have hairdryers in the office.
Mears, Michigan
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for are 9th anniversery. The balcony suite was beautiful, we had a view of downtown town, the lights in the evening were beautiful, and when we did go inside our room we closed the door and could not hear the traffic. We ask for extra coffee and recieved it right to our room, we also needed a plate and silverware for our cake,Val and Dave were helpful and gave us some paper plates and forfs to use. Everyone was very nice here. Stop by and stay for your next vacation or a nice get- a- way. Definently would stay agen.

Room Tip: For couple the balcony suites.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
North Street, MI
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My family of 4 just got back today from the Silver Sands Resort. Our boys, 16 and 10, LOVED it. I had previously stayed at the resort (in a cabin) for several of my summer vacations with my sisters over 17 years ago. It was such a great time then, that I wanted my husband and boys to have the same experience. I was not disappointed. This trip we stayed in the MOTEL on the bottom level across from the pool. It had a small fridge, so we bought some groceries to save money. I cannot stress enough how CLEAN everything was, from the room to the pool area to the grounds. I have stayed in many motels during my travels and the Silver Sands is by far the cleanest, non scary MOTEL ever! When you go up north to experience the outdoors (sand, sun and water) you don't expect to stay at a Hyatt. The housekeeping and management staff were all very polite and helpful. We brought bikes and our Whaler which we docked for an extra $10 per day at the resort. Docks look very new and the boys went out boating everyday. We also drove our Range Rover so we could drive it on the dunes! What a blast! There are lots of rental places for water craft, bikes, and "dune" vehicles. Most food places were within walking distance although a little pricey. Silver Sands Resort is a great "home base" for day trips around the area. We are definately going back and would recommend this MOTEL to my family and friends.P.S. The sun sets over the dunes are spectacular!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mears
Dunes Express Inn & Suites
Sierra Sands Family Lodge
Buzz'sLakeside Inn
Buzz'sLakeside Inn
#2 of 5 in Whitehall

Been to Silver Sands Resort? Share your experiences!