“Over priced, over rated”

Comfort Inn Marshall
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Marshall
Lynchburg, Virginia
“Over priced, over rated”
Reviewed April 14, 2011

I'm barely here an hour and I'm resenting the choice. While Michigan is now all non-smoking, I guess hotels clean the room and hope for the best. My first room obviously had been a smoking room in it's previous life and I asked for another room. I was upgraded to a jacquizzi room which is no big woop (same room but an extra space for tub). The rooms are dated, cheap and dark, and the windows don't block the sound well. A train went by a few minutes ago and I hope they don't run at night. Loud cars drive by every once in a while. All the hotels in this area are relatively expensive, and I don't know why. Maybe the local casino? I just came from a Townplace suites in Detroit where I paid the same price and while that hotel was MUCH better even though it was mildly dated. If you are in the area, find another hotel even if it costs more.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed March 6, 2010

Check in was friendly. Room had the sink in the foyer of the room which was weird, being on carpet. The bathroom had a shower and toilet. There was wall paper in the shower area near the level of my head on up. This was kind of peeling in areas, and some discoloration.

All night long, I could hear conversations in the hallway, and the icemaker going off etc.

They charge $1.25 "safe rental fee" which is ridiculous but small enough that who is going to complain.

Breakfast offerred assorted pastries, breads, toast, cereal, OJ, milk, etc. There was a waffle iron, boiled eggs, teeny tiny diet yogurts, fruit cups, etc.

Internet worked in the room for free.

Overall, this is a pretty average place in my opinion, just ok in most areas.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Detroit
Reviewed May 26, 2009

I had a wonderful stay! Had checked prices around town, to find it was the most reasonable. I'll admit this concerned me a little bit, until I called and the front desk explained the "little things" they offer that just talk you into giving it a try!
The pool was really warm, and the Jacuzzi was wonderfully hot, a good way to relax away all your stress. Breakfast could have used a little more, maybe some hot items like eggs and bacon would be delicious.
The staff went above and beyond to make sure my stay was pleasant. Room was very clean, with standard decor, maybe could have used a better color scheme, but it wasn't gaudy.
Would definetely recommend to anyone! Friendly, courteous staff made me feel more at home, not just at another motel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
MI
Reviewed October 14, 2008

Hubby and I wanted to stay in Battle Creek, but the reviews were so bad, we decided to drive farther and stay in Marshall.
The motel was fine, nothing special, just a place to spend the night that wasn't as expensive as others in the area. It was clean. We arrived late, so we didn't check out the pool. The continental breakfast was again...typical. Bagels, those little muffins that every motel everywhere seems to think its customers enjoy. I don't understand why they don't get products from the local bakeries...too much money?
Hubby didn't care for the pillows and said he would bring his own next time!
We would spend the night here again.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
GR, MI
Reviewed September 12, 2008

Hubby and I spent the night there (after dinner at Shuler's) recently. We had no problems whatsoever. We found it clean, comfortable. We heard some noise from the hallway but nothing that bothered us at all. Staff were all VERY friendly, helpful and professional. Compared to other nearby hotels we felt we got a great deal and would definitely go there next time we want a Shuler's fix.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2008

This is a very small Comfort Inn in size, though it has a nice pool. Room was fine if not out of the ordinary. Staff was very friendly but could have been more helpful with an internet connection issue.

I had two issues with my one night stay, one of which might have been a fluke for that night:

1. Patrons were extremely noisy and rude. Bunch of loud and uncontrolled bratty kids. I was near the vending machines and some moron decided to wake up at 5 AM so he could fill his entire ice chest one little bucket at a time with the free ice.

2. Breakfast was not as nice as at some other Comfort Inns and was rendered rather obnoxiois by a huge television blaring a fundamentalist preacher. Management should be aware that guests do not necessarily share their religious beliefs. CNN would have bee much more appropriate if they felt they needed to play the TV at all.

• Liked — nice pool
  • Disliked — rude guests
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bear Lake
Reviewed December 31, 2007

I really didn't care for this place.

As stated in other reviews, the walls are very thin. You can hear regular conversations in the adjoining rooms.

I booked 4 rooms for our group. We'd requested adjoining rooms or at least rooms near each other. There are adjoining rooms here, I had one (but not w/ anyone in our party). The other rooms were on the same floor, but that's about it. I made the reservations more than a month in advance and the hotel wasn't near full, so I'm not sure what was up with that .

The fridge in one room stopped working overnight and the TV in one didn't work. The front desk was unable to help when I contacted them concerning the problem. Upon discussing this with the person at the front desk the next morning, I received a % off my rate (nice). No one bothered to find out which rooms had the problem.

There were renovations going on during our stay. The wallpaper in our room was half replaced and the baseboards were gone. Early in the morning the workers were in the halls moving beds, dressers, TV's etc... out into the hall. I guess replacing carpeting. I'm not sure why they couldn't try and keep this contained to one end of a floor at a time, or to one particular floor, instead of every other room on our floor.

Breakfast didn't have much for selection and I felt like I was under a microscope right in front of the front desk. Teeny pool was on the opposite side of the front desk from the rooms also.

I guaranteed my reservation w/ one credit card and paid with another after arriving. After arriving home I found that the four rooms had been charged to the correct card the day I left. The NEXT day there were SEVEN separate holds placed on the OTHER card. Apparently for the FOUR rooms I'd booked. All these holds and charges tied up over $700 in my bank accounts. I only paid a little over $200 total for the rooms! What was up with this??? I never found out. I called the front desk. They were at a loss, and the manager wasn't there. I attempted to contact the manager but never heard back from him.

The employees at the front desk were nice, but not necessarily helpful with my problems. I was told this hotel had recently changed hands and the owners were making improvements, but I'm thinking they won't be getting a second chance from me.

• Liked — Not much.
  • Disliked — Ongoing renovations, problems w/ rooms, small breakfast and pool area, non-responsive management, messed w/ my finances, BIG time.
  • Stayed June 2008
2 Thank winowiski
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marshall
Hampton Inn Marshall
Baymont Inn & Suites Battle Creek Downtown
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#9 of 19 in Battle Creek

Been to Comfort Inn Marshall? Share your experiences!