“THE CROWN JEWEL OF WIN SCHULER'S NINE RESTAURANTS”

Schuler's Restaurant & Pub
Ranked #2 of 41 Restaurants in Marshall
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: For over 100 years, Schuler's Restaurant & Pub has kept it in the family - and beaten the odds. How rare is this achievement? According to Family Business Review more than 30 percent of all family-owned businesses survive into the second generation. Twelve percent will still be viable into the third generation, with three percent of all family businesses operating at the fourth-generation level and beyond. Schuler's, a four-generation, family-owned restaurant in Marshall, Michigan is an institution. Schuler's attributes its longevity to the foresight of our founder and the succeeding family members who have used their entrepreneurial skills to build a 100-year tradition of hospitality and fine dining.
Reviewed September 18, 2018

An uncle who was a friend of Win Schuler's brought me here for lunch in 1966 and I met Mr. Schuler at that time. A very engaging man and one who surely knew how to create a restaurant empire with quality food and exceptional service in a unique atmosphere. Win Schuler died in 1993 and I have eaten here many times since, as the restaurants were taken over by his children-- and now grandchildren, the fourth generation of Schulers-- who inherited Win's habit of hard work and hosting those looking for a special dining experience. This restaurant was recognized in business magazines in the 1950's as one of the top 50 restaurants in the country. I think its slipped since I first ate here. The German look and feel of the place is dated-- dark and Bavarian ski lodge style, which has had its day. It's past grandeur is evident in the many photographs of Win Schuler and family with governors, athletes and other celebrities which are everywhere. The menu however is up-to-date and just right in size-- not so ambitious as to take to long to read or to be beyond the capability you'd expect of the kitchen-- yet when I was here for a 4 pm business lunch the service and kitchen were slow, despite a virtually empty restaurant which promotes all day service. We were seated at a booth with two setups in place but one of the wine glasses was broken, with half of the glass actually missing (how could that happen without being seen we asked). A small dish of Win Schuler’s Bar-Scheeze was put down immediately after we were seated, which was nice. Win developed this cheddar cheese spread decades ago and it is sold all over the United States. My business companion and I both ordered the Schuler's Seafood Chowder which was as delicious as I had remembered it, but the Zesta Saltine crackers accompanying it were stale. The Two Napkin Beef Brisket sandwich was absolutely mouth watering to look at and did not disappoint. It is Hickory Smoked Beef Brisket and comes on Jalapeño Focaccia Bread with Horseradish Mayo, and Chipotle Barbeque Sauce. I highly recommend it. The menu of course contains Schuler's signature dishes-- Schuler's Classic Roast Prime Rib of Beef, at $37 for the Schuler cut or $34 for the Michigan cut, and Lake Superior Whitefish or London Broil. There is nothing on the menu which I would not order. Parking is free in Marshall and Win Schuler's has its own open lot directly across the street.

Date of visit: September 2018
Write a reviewReviews (696)

Reviewed September 14, 2018 via mobile

We celebrated our last night in Marshall with the area's best Prime Rib. We were served by Shannon and we really felt like her attention was more focused on her bigger tables rather than us. The food was spectacular, especially the Wisconsin Cherry Cobbler, we should have shared.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed September 8, 2018 via mobile

Schuler‘s is a staple in Marshall, you can always expect good food and a great environment! Also one of a few restaurants in Marshall with outdoor seating.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed August 31, 2018

A grand tradition that is relevant and spectacular for any event. Excellent for a casual lunch or dinner or appropriate for an elegant celebration. The menu is carefully curated to offer something for everyone.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed August 27, 2018

We go for special celebrations, when we have company, and when we want to be treated well and have a great meal. My favorite dishes: prime rib and seafood chowder. They are so good I order them almost every time I go. The decorating makes the place special. If there is a breakfast buffet, eat a light dinner and enjoy the best buffet for miles. It should be noted that this restaurant has been operating for more than 100 years. Dress up a little and everything tastes better!

Date of visit: June 2018