“Local beer, great food”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We love Dark Horse, especially for it's atmosphere and beer. The food is not as great as other breweries, but is still really good. Their pizzas, especially, are excellent. My favorite brew is R.O.D., which is a red ale.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I had a chance to stop in at Dark Horse recently for a beer and a bite to eat. It was only a few minutes off the freeway at the Marshall exit.

The place is interesting, in that it looks like it may have been an old lumber yard before it became a brewery. The pub is decorated in ceramic mugs and graffitti, creating an interesting mix that is hard to define.

The beer was quite good, and the sandwiches we'd ordered were excellent, made with pretzel roll that used spent grains from their brewing operations.

I'd defintitely stop again if I was in the area.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

The Dark Horse Brewery is a really neat bar and worth getting of main street for. We had the Pale ale it was so yummy I had 2. The kitchen was being remodeled to accomodate their growing business, so the menu wasn't much when we were there.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

This is quite the little gem, nothing fancy on the outside but when you walk in and see hundreds (maybe thousands) of beer mugs on the walls and ceiling you know you are in a good place. I love the Crooked Tree IPA, but had the Rasberry Ale the night before at a bar in St Joe, MI.
The sandwiches are to die for - calzones look over the top all hand made. The bartender told us her favorite was the bacon cheeseburger pizza and that sounds fabulous too.

The service was good, we went at lunch time on a Monday and sat at the bar. I could see issues if you sat outside because there was only one girl on for lunch service and she had the whole place.

We visited from Ohio and North Carolina, and when we are back in the area again for Christmas we are defintely going back.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Sat out on their picnic tables on a slow Sunday afternoon. Ordered drinks promptly and looked at menu. Placed food order. About 30-35 minutes later, server asked how we were doing. let her know we were still waiting foot food. she offered to refill drinks... But no free refills on pop. told her it was the first restaurant I visited in MI with that policy. she let me know, they are a Pub, NOT a restaurant. Ok, first PUB in my life in MI with that policy then! blame management for that policy. did order refill for one. when food arrived, all looked good, but served from a different person who was clueless about whom ordered what. Greek salad a bit skimpy for price, but poorly served in black plastic bowl. It did taste good though. food delivery person did not bring napkins. when original server came back we asked for napkins & one water. She told us where to go up at the bar to pour our own water. then cleared a table or two without delivering napkins. I went to bar to get items and let her have-it!

Guests were smoking in this licensed bar area which is fenced in & against state law. It is obvious the owners know this and condone it as cigarette butts were in wood chips everywhere. Slow and lazy service not tolerated, especially when you express your concern and no "I'M sorry" can be delivered.

Leadership: If you ever figure out this site exists, invest some training time into your servers. Eliminate the split server responsibilities and read a book on customer service or two. I hate writing this, but it was a new low... If you could come can come in and serve your own beer... You would be good!

1  Thank Jim_Engel