“Average Stay”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Marshall
Michigan
“Average Stay”
Reviewed December 21, 2008

I go into the Battle Creek area 4 times a year on business and have yet to find a decent place to stay. . .or rather, a place that I would stay more than once. I ventured into the Marshall area last year and stayed at the Quality Inn...and this year thought I'd try the Holiday Inn Express. Let me just say, the hunt continues.

Location: right off the highway, with a truck stop and a 50's diner style Denny's within walking distance. Hotel is a few short miles from Marshall...famous for Shuller's resturant and pub...a must visit if you're in the area...the whipped cheese is to die for. Very cute town with lots of 'cute' shops.

Price: I negotiated the price from $109.00 to $89.00 - just ask!

Rooms: The heat hadn't been turned on, so it was freezing for a bit while I got settled. Bathroom was clean. Beds were covered in crumbs...and in one of the beds, there were lots of little black hairs. Eeck! Lots of pillows. Small TV, radio/alarm didn't work. Plenty of towels. Free USA Today at the door before dawn. Coffee maker.

Breakfast: Funny, when we stay at a hotel with a FREE breakfast...something convinces us that we have to eat there just because it's free. I'm guilty of this too...my Dutch-ness! The milk was dated to expire the next day and we asked if there was milk in the back that might be a bit more fresh. The breakfast lady informed us that we had one more day before the milk officially went "bad". Okay, how 'bout the brown mushy bananas? Or the rock hard muffins...even the bagels were bricks! We drank our breakfast that day as the cranberry juice and coffee were winners. : ) Nice big TV in breakfast area.

Pool: Didn't go in...but not once in my 3 day stay did I see anyone in there. . .was on the small side...and as you walk into the hotel lobby, the glass windows looking into the pool is the first thing you see. So if you a bit shy about being in your suit, with your winter pasty white legs, you won't much care for the location.

I doubt I'll stay here again...for $89.00 a night, I do expect the bed be sleepable without shaking all the blankets free of little hairs...and I expect to the milk to be fresh. Call me crazy. I hear there is a new Holiday Inn just built in Battle Creek...I'm headed there next!

• Liked — Close to Schuller's!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Martin, Tennessee
Reviewed August 17, 2007

From start to finish, excellent service. At check-in, we met Shirley, who was fantastic. Funny, sweet and extremely helpful, she had it all.
We were immediately upgraded to a jacuzzi suite, and she even arranged for a mini-fridge and microwave since we were going to be staying a week.
The room was fairly standard, but the bed was really comfortable and the jacuzzi was sweet! Used it every night.
The pool is small, but nice, and it has a good fitness room.
What else? TV is small, but lots of channels. Parking lot is good size and can handle large vehicles. If it's too full, there's truck parking across the street.
A new Hampton Inn opened next door, and it looks nice, but I doubt it has a Shirley. She's the main reason I would pick this place.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Michigan
Reviewed August 11, 2007

My sister & I took our boys (ages 5, 4 & 3) to the Binder Park Zoo last summer. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Marshall and it was GREAT! They had a 'kid's suite' which offered a king bed, couch bed and bunk beds. Small kitchen area w/ a mini fridge and microwave along w/ a sink. Room was very clean, staff very accomidating (gave us tylenol when my nephew had a fever), nice pool- just a great experience. We are planning a trip this fall for my son's birthday back to Binder Park and we will definatley stay at the Holiday Inn Express again! :)

• Liked — Close the Binder Park Zoo, clean, safe, great price.
  • Disliked — Not enough restaurants around.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Columbus, OH
Reviewed December 5, 2006

It is a typical HI Express. Not much around it except for a truck stop next door and a Hampton Inn. It was fairly clean but a little pricey for location and hotel. I would probably stay somewhere else if going back to the Battle Creek area.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marshall
Hampton Inn Marshall
#3 of 19 in Battle Creek
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#9 of 19 in Battle Creek

Been to Holiday Inn Express Marshall? Share your experiences!