All reviewsco opdowntown areain townroom was cleanpleasant stayindoor poolfree breakfasthot tubgreat place to staywould stay againannexweddingconferenceloungemicrowaveconveniencebedding
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Downtown Marquette is an area that might simultaneously be described and struggling and thriving. There are some wonderful eclectic shops and restaurants in the quaint downtown that sits next to Lake Superior. There are also vacant storefronts and businesses that haven't seen a new coat of paint in 30 years. At the edge of this is the Ramada Inn, an old brick building that from the outside is about as featureless as you can get. It appears that in addition to the five story "tower," an addition was added that includes a small indoor pool with rooms facing it on two levels. I stayed in the tower building, on the fifth floor, which would have likely given me a nice view had I been on the side facing the lake. Alas I was on the other side. The room itself was functional, the fridge and microwave were nice touches, but otherwise the decor was outdated and spartan. The table lamp between the two beds plugged in behind the bed I used and was sensitive to any movement I made while in bed, resulting in several "blackouts" while attempting to read. There was no suitcase stand in the room. The iron that came with the room leaked all over the clothing I was attempting to iron, but it was quickly replaced by a staff member who delivered another (which was not new, but worked. Do you tip housekeeping when they replace a broken item? I did, but never feel especially good about that.)

Speaking of staff, they were nice and generally helpful, both at the front desk and the restaurant. I encountered something at the Ramada, however, that I never have before, and that was a member of housekeeping that would write me notes on the scratch pad in the room, including a favorable review of the book i was reading that sat on my bedside table. I'm not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, we like to believe that our room is inviolate while we are away, and yet we know someone is in there cleaning every day. On the considerate - creepy continuum, I found it more on the creepy side of things.

One of my most negative impressions is probably not the fault of the hotel: someone staying in the non-smoking rooms of the fifth floor apparently needed a cigarette and thought it would be acceptable to smoke in the hallway next to a window. Well it wasn't and left the hallway uninhabitable for the remaining days of my visit. Box fans and open windows did little to improve things.

The restaurant is fine for breakfast although on my second visit, I found the delay in bringing me a bowl of oatmeal unnecessary, especially when the mostly idle wait staff spent much of the time while I waited kibitzing about their colleagues. I'm also not sure how my oatmeal and tea cost me more than the day before, when I had a full breakfast that included oatmeal.

Overall the location is pretty good, the rate was very good, the staff nice, but the tired shape of the interior and exterior made the experience a less than satisfying.

Room Tip: I asked for a tower room, but perhaps should have asked for a room with a view, as a west facing tower room offers little view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Director014, Director of Sales at Ramada by Wyndham Marquette, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Thank you for your review on our property. We appreciate hearing from our guest and correcting any discomfort they may have. You are correct the building does look tired from the street unfortunatley with a brick building it is sometimes hard to make cosmetic changes. We are continuously updating the interior of the building and have had many great comments about the changes we have made. The notes the housekeepers leave are little reminders for you on who cleaned your room and if you see them in the hallway you can say hi to them by name. We do have a strict policy for smoking inside of the Ramada and you are correct some people choose not to follow the rules. We hope you will visit us agian in the future.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

We have stayed here a few times and I've attended receptions here. Both have been good. The bar is nice too. I recommend it for families because of the large pool area and it would probably be good for business too.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Director014, Director of Sales at Ramada by Wyndham Marquette, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Thank you for you kind comments. Our housekeeping staff works hard to ensure your rooms are clean and comfortable. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

We had a 5th floor room, with a view of Lake Superior. Great Location, a couple blocks from downtown, and walks by the Lake. A wonderful play ground 5 blocks from the hotel by the lake, which was suggested by the front desk staff. Clean rooms, comfortable beds. Pool area was nice, and we enjoyed it all 4 days of our stay. Ordered room service twice, quick service, very good food. portions were very large. Cons- No coffee service or breakfast. You have to pay to eat the resturant. We asked for a refrigerator and microwave in our room which was a nice bonus at no extra charge. Housekeeping was very nice and pleasant, although they started early in the morning!! Put your do not disturb sign on your door if you want to sleep past 8:30am. We would stay here again. Everyone was nice. The air conditioner was a little loud but nothing to complain about.

Room Tip: we stayed in the 5th floor main building, and had a good view of lake superior.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Director014, Director of Sales at Ramada by Wyndham Marquette, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Thank you for the great comments. The Ramada is a great location for every guest. Being only a couple of blocks from Lake Superior and having the biking/running trail across the street is a great advantage for our guest. We are also located approximatley 1 mile from Northern Michigan University and have special programs for guest who are visiting the university. If you have children we are not on the busy highway and as you mentioned have a great playground just blocks away, we also have a park just a couple of blocks away in the opposite direction of the lake. Next time you are visiting I encourage you to take a walk downtown and visit all the local shops they are very friendly and have special offers all the time. Thanks again for staying with the Ramada of Maquette we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

We planned a trip with extended family to visit my nephew who is attending Northern Michigan University. The first time we were here we were upgraded to a pool-view suite because they had overbooked the standard room we had reserved (at no extra cost!). The second time we came up to Marquette we specifically requested the same room, and suprisingly, it wasn't that much more. It was so nice having the bigger room with a king bed, and it also had a full sized couch (comfortable) that turned into a fold out bed. There is a nice sized (42"?) TV, small fridge and a microwave. There is also a couple of chairs for extra seating and a nice sized desk/work area that we were able to use our lap top with Wi-Fi. The bathroom is just a little on the small size (1 person at a time), but was clean and perfectly fine for a weekend stay. The housekeeping staff even left us a note letting us know that they were running short on bath towels, but would be back with some as soon as they got done at the laundry. (I thought that was a nice touch!) Sure enough, when we stopped back in later in the day, there were some fresh towels that had been placed in our bathroom. Front desk staff were very helpful and friendly, and the restaurant was fine. (Had breakfast there and one dinner there-the fish fry was good on Friday night!) Yes, the building is older, and some things are showing their age. We did have an issue with the A/C in our room since it never got very cool, but I think it had more to do with our room being a "pool side" room and the humidity coming from the indoor pool/sauna whirlpool area and possibly our sliding door not always being closed all the way. But overall, where it matters, the hotel is a great choice for location and price. If you are visiting your kids at NMU, make sure you call direct to book the Parents Plus program. They are obviously good supporters of the university. We would stay here again-within walking distance to good restaurants & shopping (try Aubree's for pizza, salad's and appetizers!). Someone in our group was even able to get a tube of toothpaste from the front desk since he forgot his! I would have no problem recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for you for the great comments. We are so happy that your trip to visit your nephew was an awarding one. I do apologize we were low on towels and you had to wait to get fresh ones. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our Parents Plus Progam and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

The room and bathroom are old. The air conditioning didn't work; it was as warm in the room as outside. Pillows are too large. Stairs everywhere--half-flights up and down here and there throughout the hotel. It was a lot of money for what it is. The location in downtown is good, and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Director014, Director of Sales at Ramada by Wyndham Marquette, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to comment on you past visit. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.