“Tasty and quick”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 21, 2010

We were very pleasantly surprised by Lagniappe. The food is not the most authentic Cajun that you'll ever have, but it's pretty good and quite flavorful. There's also a hot sauce bar for you to sample other varieties besides the 4 or 5 that will be already on your table, if you need more flavor and heat. Don't be too concerned if you're not a fan of hot sauce or unfamiliar proteins-- the menu also contains burgers and other familiar fare for those a bit wary of spice, crawfish, etc.

Incredibly efficient service makes it a great place for a quick stop for travelers and also makes it fairly kid-friendly. The main entrance is along a street that you're not likely to happen upon, but there's another entrance on W. Washington near 3rd St., though you have to go down a long flight of stairs from W. Washington, so that entrance is not handicapped accessible.

Reviewed December 30, 2009

We found Lagniappe on trip advisor and loved it. First we weren't sure where the restuant was as the sign pointed us down a flight of steps. At the bottom is a door which makes you wonder what may be on the other side. Peeking in the door we saw a nicely decorated ,clean, fun looking large room with many tables and a long bar.

We were promptly seated in a rustic pine booth by a friendly waitress who handed us our menus and took our drink orders.

Since it was lunch time we passed on the many good sounding dinner entrees and ordered salads. After much debate we (3) each got the Lagniappe salad, and a side of seafood bisque and hushpuppies. I had the bisque and it was rich and perfectly spiced...very good. My daughter had the huspuppies, frankly something I would never order, but these puppies were gooood ...and the dip made them delicious.

The huge Lagniappe salad (recomended by our waitress) was perfect as well, the bacon dressing on the side pulled the flavers all together....definetly will order this again.

All in all a very nice dinning experience we will be back...and don't let the deep dark stairwell fool you.

Reviewed August 17, 2009

First, it was great to see that this gem is now open on Saturdays. We arrived around 7 on Saturday and were warmly greeted at the door. We were shown to our booth where our server arrived quickly to take our drink order. She suggested we try some of their Louisiana specialties. I had an Abita and my girlfriend a crawfish crawl. Great suggestions! We had the fried pickles for an appetizer, which were excellent. For the entrees, I had the Creole Penne Pasta, which was amazing. I was told when the manager visited our table that the Andoulle sausage was freshly made on site. It was a perfect accent to a dish loaded with great flavor. My girlfriend had the Seafood Rizoto, which she loved. We finished off with the bread pudding topped with a Jack Daniels sauce that was phenomenal. We've been here several times and the food and service have always been top notch, a rare combination in a town where inconsistency is common.

Reviewed July 11, 2009

My husband and I wanted to try something new, so we headed to Marquette to eat at Lagniappe, which I had heard about, but had never tried. Trip Advisor reviews were positive, and we both love Cajun/Creole food, so it seemed like a good bet. It was a great choice. As soon as I walked in, I got a smile on my face, because the atmosphere reminded me of the seafood joints in the Keys we so enjoy. It was about 8:00 on a Friday, and the restaurant was not busy. The clientele was a mixed bag of families, couples, and several people sitting at the "Voodoo Bar". The waitress was at our table almost instantly asking for drink orders. I got a "Crawfish Crawl," which I think is their version of a Bahama Mama, which was perfect. For an appetizer we ordered Crawfish Nachos, which came as a huge plate of multi-colored chips smothered with a thick crawfish etouffee (no, they weren't soggy), including big chunks of crawfish meat, and cheese, with a side dish of sour cream. Yum. For the entree's, Shrimp and Tasso Bowtie Pasta and Bayou Bouillabaisse, which were both perfectly cooked, just slightly spicy (there are a number of hot sauces you can add to your taste) and in huge quantity. I was especially impressed by how tender the shrimp and oysters were in both dishes, as it seems in most restaurants they are often overcooked and tough in these types of dishes. By the way, there were whole, obviously fresh-cooked oysters in the bouillabaisse, not just little chunks! For dessert, even though we were stuffed, we took out a bag of beignets and ate them on the waterfront. A perfect ending to a wonderful evening.
Try this place tonight!

Reviewed June 26, 2009

Last night was the second time we went to Lagniappes to eat. I had the Seafood Risotto, my girlfriend and her 2 kids had the Half pound flatbread hamburgers. The service was very good. the waitress took her time to get the order from us as I didnt know what I wanted as it all looks good on paper. For an appitizer we took the waitresses advise and tried the deep fryed pickles. I wasnt sure if this was a good idea, as its not the way I would normaly eat my pickles. The waitress brought them out when they were cooked. They were very good, I have to figure out what the coating was on them so I can make them at home. The seafood risotto was very good. The smell, taste and texture was all amazing. I was full about half way thru the meal, but it was so good it I just couldnt bring it home, I had to finish it there. this is another meal that I want to figure out how to make at home also. We had the house made sweet tea, that also was very good. Here is a reastaurant that came out of the deep south to a northern state and has added to the cultureal experience that most locals would otherwise never experience. Great job Lagniappe!