“Comfortable Dining experience”

Vierling Restaurant and Marquette Harbor Brewery
Ranked #3 of 116 Restaurants in Marquette
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Wiesbaden, Germany
“Comfortable Dining experience”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My sons and I were in town for U.P. Finals for wrestling. After a long day in the gym it was nice to take my high school junior and mid twenty year old son's out for some Great food and fun atmosphere.... a little pricey

Visited January 2013

Marquette, Michigan
“A must visit if you are in Marquette”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The Vierling is a Marquette treasure. It was the first brewpub in town (long after the restaurant was already established), and boasts high quality brews - the local favorite is the blueberry from my perspective. The other local favorite dish is the whitefish, which can be prepared in a variety of fashions but my personal favorite is the regular 'special' which consists of a filet that is baked with a seafood crust. Another favorite is the salads if you are visiting for lunch. The restaurant uses fresh ingredients and makes their own dressings. The steak and pasta dishes are also nice options for dinners, and the sandwiches I have tried have been good but I usually order the corned beef. I like their onion rings which are the thin sort and may not be in the menu but when I have asked they have offered them. For dinner sides, my personal favorites are their rice and green beans.

The atmosphere of the restaurant is one of it's big pluses. The walls are covered with local and national history. The back dining room has a number of tables along windows overlooking the harbor. The front dining room is a little more public as it is also the bar, but has a couple of tables along the street that are a bit more private and I have reserved for meetings. On busy nights and weekends, or if you want to try and get a lake view, I would recommend getting a reservation. There is also a 'Sample Room' which is a separate room that only is used for beer and appetizers. If you want to meet a group of friends for drinks this is a nice option.

Prices are on the upper end of moderate for dinners, moderate for lunch. The atmosphere, service and food quality make them reasonable.

For visitors and locals alike, the Vierling is a good choice - and if you enjoy barbecue, the owners also have The Union Grill down the street which is another great choice for lunch.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Dave A
Gladstone, Michigan
“Makes enough money, doesn't need new customer's”
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We came to Marquette for the weekend to see a hockey game, shop, eat and have fun- all six of us in our early forties to mid fifties. We entered the Vierling at 10:30 Friday night, after the game. No one said hi to us and the looks from the employees made us know that we were not welcome. I've worked in the "hospitality" business for many years so I just had to see more!! We went to a table and made ourselves comfortable. Our cocktail server was nice but let us know that we couldn't stay long. (orders from the bar)
Apparently this place makes enough money without bringing in new customers;
We watched as the bartender continued to turn away several more small groups of people. Besides the six of us, there were still other people in the bar....including some employees that were drinking.
Our group was getting "last call" so why not give them last call as well? Or better yet, stay open for another half hour or hour? The bartender could make a bundle of cash off appreciative customers (if he were more friendly) and the owner would get repeat business and glowing reviews!
I know that welcoming those people, serving them a drink and engaging them would have made them loyal customers forever, not to mention us! Now I can guarantee that they will never return.
If you want to be welcome at this establishment be sure to come when its convenient for the staff.
We will not be back, in part by how we were treated but mainly because the other groups were treated even worse than we were!

PS- since the Vierling was off our list of choices for dinner on Saturday we ate at the Landmark and it was fantastic! Try it.

2 Thank pgike
Fort Myers, FL
“Soup and Salad hit the spot”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stopped, here, for a late "dinner" after arriving in Marquette for the evening. The service was quick, friendly, and the salad and soup hit the spot.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank skippie10
Michigan
“Good food and great view”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We enjoyed our dinner here at the Vierling. It was an enjoyable, relaxing meal. We ordered fish and steak. Both were good. The drinks from the bar were good, too.

Visited October 2012