“Delicious ice cream, decent sizes”

Jilbert's Dairy Farm
Ranked #5 of 35 things to do in Marquette
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Let me start by saying that my family had Jilbert's Dairy ice cream several times as we traveled across the UP so when we stopped in Marquette, we decided that we had to check out where it all started from.

Unfortunately, we got there too late to actually see anything being made, but we were still able to enjoy the delicious ice cream. We had peanut butter mackinac island fudge, birthday cake, mint chocolate chip and a Zanzibar shake and everyone really enjoyed theirs. The sizes were perfect--the kiddie cones were perfect for the kids and my single scoop was just right for me. I felt like any larger and it would've been too much.

Although the line was long, it did move pretty quickly and then we were able to head outside to visit the cow! There is a 20+ foot cow out in the eating area and we were able to take pictures with it, which was a highlight of the night. We also enjoyed looking at all the old time dairy related exhibits in the hallways, with old butter boxes and glass milk jugs.

1  Thank Melody A

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Amaretto cherry mackinac island fudge ice cream is by far my favorite ice cream from Jilbert's. (Wish they hadn't stopped selling that flavor in local stores!) But any ice cream you get here is delicious. You used to be able to get a ton of ice cream for the price, but the sizing has definitely shrunk even though the prices haven't.

As far as this being an attraction... There is one area where you can view the production floor. That's all there is to it. And in all the times I've been here, I've only seem it in operation once. Perhaps it's because I usually go in the evenings, but there was never much to see, only eat.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We used to live in Marquette years ago, and were in the area for a family event. We visited some great spots like the Mattson Lower Harbor Park, NMU Campus and of course the ever awesome Vango's. Now that our kids are adults, we thought we'd reminisce with some ice cream at Jilbert's. Wow, were we surprised when we ordered dishes of ice cream that you needed a magnifying glass to see. We've stopped at lots of different ice cream places around the U.P. over the years, but the skimpiness of serving here takes the cake. It was good, but we'd have to think long and hard about stopping by again when there are other places you can really get a "bowl" of ice cream.

2  Thank gfunkgfunk63
Reviewed July 5, 2013

During the Marquette parade, a lot of companies were throwing candy and handing out bracelets and other kinds of products with their names and/or slogans on the articles. Well, towards the end of the parade, I was getting a bit more brave to ask for a couple of things from the companies. I was watching JILBERT'S DAIRY as it was coming down the parade line. You know, the MILK company with the huge cow and the slogan GOT MILK. There was a man and two women on the side of the street I was on. They were throwing black things into the crowd along with candy. As they were walking past our group I asked the man what the black thing was that he was throwing, as it looked like an umbrella. He looked at me and did not answer but kept throwing them into the crowd by the three's and four's. Again I asked him what they were, he then displayed his chest, which written on a black t-shirt was the slogan was GOT MILK as he replied "T-shirts". I asked him if I could have one, and he looked at me like I was crazy as he continued to grab three to four at a time and throw them out into the crowd as did the two women and the three other people on the other side of the vehicle. After he ignored me twice I just gave up meekishly. My husband said he watched the exchange between the JILBERT'S DAIRY man and me. Apparently just after I asked this JILBERT'S DAIRY man for a t-shirt, another man from the crowd asked this same JILBERT'S DAIRY man, twice, if he could have a t-shirt, and the JILBERT'S DAIRY man looked at him and very sarcastically told him "NO" while he kept throwing them out into the crowd. If that's not a kick in the face to two potential, if not, a whole lot more, customers for JILBERT'S DAIRY, then I don't know what is. I DO know this, I WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER BUY ANOTHER JILBERT'S DAIRY PRODUCT EVER AGAIN. I know it won't be easy as I love their chip dip and several other products. Their ice cream is/was a daily treat, but to have this man treat two people so indecent was so wrong. I sincerely hope this status update does eventually get the attention of the JILBERT'S DAIRY COMPANY and that whoever that man was gets reprimanded somehow. Shame on him. — feeling annoyed.

6  Thank Evelyn E
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Ice cream good, but nothing special in my view. Might be more fun if there was more activity at the time, but will still be average ice cream

2  Thank jpadc