“Very Comfortable Stay”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marquette
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Marquette
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This is an excellent hotel. Easy to find as it is right on the highway. Check-in was fast and efficient and the room was clean and well appointed. AND they have great cookies at the front desk!!!

We had a king room - the bed was very comfortable - and the hotel had very fast internet service in the room.

Breakfast is a full meal - bacon, French toast, waffles, toast, cereal, etc.

We have stayed here before and will do so in the future.

Try Hudson's across the street for a great sportsbar/restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
CountryInnMarquette, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marquette, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

We are so pleased to hear of your satisfaction during your recent stay! Our staff takes great delight in providing a top-notch experience and they will be so appreciative of your kind remarks. We look forward to providing you with another comfortable stay the next time you come to Marquette.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here several times in 2012 for business, so I can't really comment on the value. I can say that the rooms are extremely clean, the hotel is nice and safe and well-situated, and the staff couldn't be friendlier. The gym inside the hotel is below average, but the hotel has a relationship with a gym less than a mile away that ensures us free access and is actually better than any gym we could have inside the hotel. The cookies are a nice touch too. Breakfast would benefit from a few healthier options, but the man who runs breakfast is incredibly nice and caring and does what he can. If you're in Marquette, this is a great place to stay.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
CountryInnMarquette, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marquette, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share regarding your experience at our hotel last fall! We appreciate your kind words in regards to cleanliness and your staff interactions. It is our goal to provide outstanding hospitality service to each and every guest; we are so pleased to read of your positive recommendation to others.

I'm glad to hear you took advantage of our complimentary guest passes to Snap Fitness. It is a great option to those looking for a wide variety of exercise options. We are thrilled to announce that our hotel will be undergoing a full renovation this upcoming fall expanding many of our public spaces. We hope to see you again soon when your travels bring you back to Marquette!

Reviewed March 30, 2013

The hotel was very clean, and the staff was super friendly. I had only two minor complaints. Our heating system rattled and made horrible noises and we figured out if you lifted the covering and kept it up, the noise subsided. The other thing is the coffee. Everyone in our party hated the coffee. It is bitter and left an aftertaste. We all switched to tea. Everything else was perfect. We love to stay here.
Please consider changing coffee brands

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
CountryInnMarquette, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marquette, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you for your kind and helpful comments regarding your recent stay! Our staff takes great delight in keeping our hotel immaculate, providing a warm & welcoming environment, and serving whatever needs our guests may have. We appreciate you alerting us to the heating system issue so we can correct it immediately. Thank you also for your coffee suggestion; I'm sorry to hear you didn't care for it. We proudly brew Highridge Country coffee in keeping with Country Inn & Suites Standards and offer a Bold Coffee which tends to have more kick to it along with Gourmet, which is a traditional roast, and Decaf. We will pass along your recommendation to our franchise. I'm glad everything else was perfect for you! We look forward to the next time you visit!

Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

My parents decided to spend their golden years in Marquette, moving there 12 years ago. I never realized how beautiful a place could be until I started coming up there from Flint. My family stayed with them in their condo until May of 2010 when my mom was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease. Because of the equipment needed in their place, we found other arrangements at Country Inn and Suites. We stayed there several times over the course of two years and had nothing but the best of accommodations and service until the week she passed away. We came up there within a few hours of notice that my mom passed away. Our reservations weren't an issue although we had to switch rooms (totally understandable) during our stay because of prior reservations. My mother-in-law came up the next day to tend to our son so we could focus on arrangements and my dad. We stayed a few days and all was well until we checked out. Since this trip was short notice, we weren't prepared
financially. We covered our room as well as my mom-in-law's room but with 3 separate credit cards. When we went to check out we wanted to confirm the correct charges were applied to the appropriate card, the front desk manager indicated that we didn't specify the arrangement from the beginning. She was very rude. I was surprised as we were aware that she had received several customer service awards in the past. She kept going back to the fact that they had "done us a favor by moving our luggage" when they didn't have to and that we should "be grateful." The general manager then came out and invited us to "take a walk outside". At that point he said that the hotel had been "very accommodating" and that we should've been more clear from the beginning. We just indicated we wanted the charges to be "accurate." Charlie was rude and condescending. My wife contacted the owner weeks later and he indicated that he'd look into it. We never heard back although all charges were
reversed which was not what we wanted. We just wanted them to be applied to the right card. A few months later we made reservations and planned to return. We got half way to marquette (Gaylord) only to get a call from Charlie indicating that we should not have contacted the owner as decisions "stop with me." and that we had played games to get the owner's contact info and that "we were no longer welcome to stay.". I was flabbergasted. I've never been kicked out of anywhere in my life. It's sad that Charlie who was a new manager at the time had his ego hurt and therefore forced us out all during my mom's death. Since then, we have found fabulous accommodations across the street and will not refer anyone to this establishment.

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank Jason C
CountryInnMarquette, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marquette, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay from almost a year ago.

I am confident that Brian and his staff will take great care of you. We enjoy the frienship we have with our neighbors at the Comfort.

I hope you and your family have a great summer!

Charlie Holsworth

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed in a one room suite with three adults for one night. The price was $159.99. The bedroom was very narrow and you could barely walk past the end of the bed without hitting furniture or the wall. The room was old and dingy. The furniture
had that shiny look of years of use without the fabric being cleaned. The walls are paper thin and you can hear word for word what your neighbor is saying (and presumptively visa versa). You also get to hear other conversations through the vent in the bathroom from who knows what room. The staff was nice but the bottom line is this place is about forty percent overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank concordantrim
CountryInnMarquette, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marquette, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Of course, I am surprised and saddened to see that you did not throroughly enjoy your stay. I would like to speak with you personally to resolve this situation. Would you call me directly at (906) 225-1300?

Thank you for your time!

Charlie Holsworth

Reviewed December 24, 2012

I am so happy to find this little slice of heaven. My husband and I are in town for the holidays and I have been desperate to stay away from the family home. We agreed on the Country Inn & Suites because of the reviews here on Trip advisor. I couldn't be happier! The rooms are clean, big and quite. The bed is soooooo comfortable. I'm sitting in it right now enjoying the free Internet. There are also a mini fridge and microwave. That is s great feature for those with special dietary concerns. Can keep that soy milk cool! Love the hot coffee and tea in the lobby. Lobby also has a warm homey feel. I am a very picky clean freak and I love this place....so stay here if your in the Marquette area!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed here (not our first time) for my son's graduation weekend. We had two rooms for our group. Both rooms were very clean. The bedding was very good. My sister-in-law said that was the best hotel bed I have ever slept in. And she got not one but two nights of rest. Which means the noise level was low (even though there was several pee wee hockey familys in the hotel). The staff was very accomodating and even found us a bottle of ranch dressing when no dressing was giving on our local pizza carry-out order. The breakfast in the morning was very good and the cookies are a plus. The location on US 41 made it easy to find and provided easy access to NMU.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
CountryInnMarquette, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marquette, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Thank you for taking your time to write a review on your recent stay! Graduation is such a special and busy time; I'm happy to hear your family rested well and enjoyed our beds and luxurious duvets. Our staff is very diligent to do rounds and ensure the excited buzz stays to a minimum especially during these high occupancy weekends. We're happy to have hosted you and your family through your son's college years, and hope to see you again the next time you have reason to visit Marquette!