“Good, not great”
Review of Sweet Water Cafe

Sweet Water Cafe
Ranked #17 of 116 Restaurants in Marquette
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Sweet Water Cafe is a natural foods restaurant, cafe, bakery, and bar in beautiful Marquette, Michigan serving good food made from scratch using whole, natural, organic, and local ingredients. The philosophy of real food extends to everything on our menu. We select and purchase ingredients that are nearest their natural state; fresh, wholesome and full of nutrients. We then use these ingredients to make our menu, including breads, soups, sauces, entrees, dressings, desserts and cookies from our own recipes. No synthetically hydrogenated fats, artificial colors, flavors and preservatives are ever used in our cooking. The Cafe's staff of chefs, bakers, servers, cleaners and service managers take pride in carrying on the tradition of making good food from scratch, using natural, organic and local ingredients as much as possible. You will find traditional and alternative food and drink. Our recipes and cooking techniques are derived from the diversity of Earth's cultures. Our style of "multicultural cuisine" represents a living art because it borrows from, rather than replicates, traditional ethnic cuisines. It is our mission to provide a broad spectrum of quality, freshly-prepared meals served quickly and professionally in a clean and smoke-free environment.
Traverse City, Michigan
“Good, not great”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

There are plenty of reasons to want to like Sweet Water. The breakfast menu is interesting and funky. The room is bright and pleasant. And it tries hard. Perhaps, too hard.

We visited there one morning for breakfast. My wife opted for the "Breakfast Cobb Salad." While the menu said the eggs would be "over easy" they were more "over medium." And, surprisingly they were out of the ranch dressing advertised in the menu. She opted for a feta/dill selection as well. Still, the combination worked. On the other hand the "Breakfast Scramble," which I had, was very odd. The tamari and garlic/butter sauté imparts an odd, off-flavor. And the odd admixture of sausage AND tofu is odder still. Worse, there has to be nearly a full package of tofu in the scramble. And, for those of you paying attention (as I was) "Scramble" does NOT include eggs. That's extra.

They also offer several different options for toast to accompany to them. I opted for the three-seed, my wife for the Russian rye. Both were nondescript. Also, each was sliced too wide for toast. The coffee was weak and bland. Somehow we expected something with more of a coffeehouse quality and were served a more basic diner-style brew instead.

As a side dish we chose some grilled potatoes. Good, but the Cajun season again was uninspiring. Worse, when I asked for a small side of sour cream to accompany the spuds, I was charged an extra buck. It would have been nice to have been advised of the upcharge whenordering.

All in all, I can't see a compelling reason to return.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank MongoSchwartz

Manistique, Michigan
“Yum!”
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Love this place! Our family favorite :) A great choice if you are looking for unprocessed food. Love the fish Reuben !!!!

Owosso
“Afternoon Lunch”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We just happened to find the Sweet Water Café and were very pleased. The service was excellent and the food was very good. The décor was very interesting and enjoyable to view the quilt art. I would definitely eat there again.

Visited January 2014
Alpena, MI
“Deserved Beat Down”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I ate in quite a few restaurants in Marquette over the weekend and had a great experience. This was the exception. Sunday morning our son took us to this place because it was "nice but a little expensive". I wanted to order the garden omelet as it had a nice assortment of vegetables in it. I ordered and requested "no cheese". "Sorry sir we cannot make substitutions" "No, I don't want anything else just don't put cheese on it - just leave it off". "Sorry sir we cannot make substitutions". She said I could order a "make your own" - but the make your own said I needed to order 1 meat, 1 cheese and 2 vegetables and as she said "no substitutions". So with the table staring at me I ordered toast in frustration.

I have gone to a lot of restaurants and never been told I could not leave something off my plate. I complained to the hostess who refunded my "toast" - really - thanks. She said I could have ordered a "make your own". I pointed out that is NOT what the menu said and "no substitutions". For the money, there are many other places in town for breakfast. Keep the cash in your wallet and go there.

• Visited October 2013
6 Thank TBTSM
United States
“wonderful Marquette restaurant”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This is our favorite restaurant in Marquette and we eat here at every opportunity. It is only a 5 to 10 minute walk from the heart of downtown up toward the university. Great location near other fun shops.

The variety of healthy and innovative options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner is more in line with what I typically find in a much larger city. This place has great food and a really cool, fun atmosphere. Simple and elegant both sum it up. It is casual with a lot of class.

I love the many vegetarian options, however, my friend who eats lots of meat was also right at home with many choices.

I highly recommend this lovely cafe.

• Visited October 2013