“Not worth the time”

Hampton Inn Marquette/Waterfront
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Marquette
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

This property was nice, not one of my favorites in the area after staying here. The rooms were okay, average hotel room. When booked stared room with a lakeview and ended getting a room facing the parking lot. Was unable to move and didn't get a reduction in price. The staff was okay, the front desk was not very friendly nor helpful. Breakfast was sub par, expected more for the price. Overall, the atmosphere of the place turned me away from staying there and ill be taking my business elsewhere

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Lucki321
Reed B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Marquette/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I apologize that you were not happy with your room. We strive to make sure all guests receive the room they are expecting. Once again, I apologize we were not able to accommodate your room choice during this stay at our hotel.

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Marquette/Waterfront

Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed at this hotel twice in four days. We used this hotel for easy access to the airport when we arrived late and departed early. The first room we had was on the first floor with a view to the parking lot. It was very clean and comfortable. It was about 11:00 pm local time when we arrived so we ordered a pizza to be delivered and went directly to bed. The view that night was not an issue. We enjoyed their breakfast the next morning in the breakfast room with fantastic views. On our departure from Marquette we were given a room on the third floor with a view out on the water. It was great and we were able to enjoy it that evening. We did not have breakfast during the second stay since we had to depart so early for our flight. This is a hotel we would recommend to others and would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the water.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank AZgolferMom
Reed B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Marquette/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

We appreciate your kind words regarding your recent stay. I’m glad you enjoyed our on the house hot breakfast. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

My wife absolutely loved this hotel - it's right on Lake Superior and the view is terrific, if you have the right room. I thought it was perfectly fine; I'm not necessarily as enthusiastic as she is, but I think her enthusiasm is sufficient to give a 5-star rating.

The only hitch in our stay was that we were originally given a first-floor room right above the pool area, so the "lake view" was mostly the roof of the pool with some lake on the horizon. We asked to be moved, and we were moved to a top-floor room (promptly and with no fuss, I might add, so kudos to the staff). However, had there been no rooms available to move to, I would have been disappointed to be paying extra for the view and not getting much, which would make me hesitate to book a room in the high season.

In any case, the rooms were light and airy and the beds comfortable. The included breakfast was fairly god, and the breakfast area was well-designed and a nice place to eat (unlike many other hotels). In fact, I'd say that whoever designed the hotel did an excellent job - all the spaces had the right combination of cozy and airy that made the hotel pleasant to be in.

I like the location, as there's a walking/biking trail right in front of the hotel. And it's right on the lake, so you can see occasional ducks right outside the window.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Andrew_Jameson

Thank you for your thoughtful review. It is always great when our guests share their experiences with others. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our well appointed rooms and Breakfast area/Social Hub. We appreciate your business and we look forward to your return to the Marquette area.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Location and facility are nice. Service below average. Called for maintenance due to smoke smell and received no response. Had to walk to front desk to hear"maintenance is unavailable, but I walked outside and it smells like campfire"
I'll drive on.

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay. I apologize that you experienced poor service. This is not a normal occurrence at our property and we take the security of our guests very seriously. The issue was looked into and fixed. Thank you again for taking the time to post a review.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel is in a great location right on the water. It is fairly new as of 10/12. Typical good Hampton Inn quality. Large breakfast area with nice views. Plenty of parking. The only downside is that it is rather expensive but I guess the location dictates that.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. Our staff takes great pride in making sure your stay is a comfortable one. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I always try to stay with Hampton Inn when traveling because of the consistently high level of commitment they provide. I am seldom disappointed with Hampton Inn regardless of the duration of my stay or the location. This trip was no different.

I was pleased to find this was a new Hampton Inn and will definitely be back.

Great location, great staff, great stay. No need to say more.

Room Tip: No bad rooms. Great views from anywhere....
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank drlooper

Thank you for taking the time to post such a great review about our hotel. We appreciate your business and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is a new property, and it's expensive, but you get a lot more for your money as well (nicer, quieter rooms, walk along the water, VERY pleasant staff.) Everything about it was positive. The only thing I would change would be to included bottled water in the room (they charge enough!) Not your typical Hampton Inn in terms of "average" property, room, service. Exceptional in every way. Much quieter than the Landmark because it is new. Don't miss the walk to the lighthouse (maybe 1 mile?) along the waterfront. Great restuarants (nice Irish pub on Washington street) and please do visit the Huron Mountain Bakery - their breads, cakes and especially KRINGLE are out of this world. Beautiful place - God's country - wish it was closer to Detroit! :-) Onward!

Room Tip: I asked for "quiet" and they put me on the top floor away from the elevators. It was perfe...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank IntegrityMatters52
Reed B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Marquette/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the Marquette area. We appreciate your business and we look forward to your return.