“Good variety of choices”
Review of Upfront & Company - CLOSED

Upfront & Company
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene
Good for: Bar scene
Marquette, Michigan
“Good variety of choices”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

The menu is fairly large with some unusual dishes. They used to have deep fried cauliflower (our favorite) but did not see it on the menu this time. Although the restaurant was only 3/4 full, the service was very slow. We smelled the pizzas cooking as we came in and it smelled so good we ordered 2 to go. The crab and portobello mushroom pizza was very good. The atmosphere is usually loud, crowded, and busy, so not a good place for a relaxed or romantic dinner.

• Visited August 2012

Detroit, Michigan
“Entertaining dining”
Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

Awesome food in a really cool atmosphere. You can't miss this place if you're in Marquette. They also had some really good drink specials.

1 Thank DTWFLYER
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nothing Special”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

The food is not the best and a little higher priced. I have ate here two times and wasn't very impressed either time. Marquette has such great food but this resturant is a bit of a let down. My friend and I were freezing cold the whole time and it was very dark. It is the middle of the day why is it so dark and cold. Not a very inviting atmoshere. The service has always been good nothing to complain about there. I ordered some wine with my dinner and wasn't impressed with that either. Overall not a great experience or meal.

• Visited June 2012
“Has come a long way”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I have had a lot of meals in the restaurant over the years since it opened, and can happily say that the food quality and selection has steadily improved. After having a few good experiences in a row, I thought I'd write a review.

First, the atmosphere of Upfront is like that of an old-time jazz club, without the smoke and a lot cleaner. The bar is beautiful, the brick work is fantastic, the tile work is also great. The hardwood, which came from an old bowling alley, is in need of attention but otherwise the place is great. there is a stage in the middle of the main bar / restaurant area and some days live music is happening during the dinner hours - adding a little more atmosphere.

The menu has been redone within the past few months, keeping old favorites but also trying new things as well as a rotating chefs choice menu. They have a varied menu from pizza to steak, with fresh fish and other seafood. One think that struck me was the number of items that contained mushrooms. Not being a fan, almost half the menu had mushrooms.

The last experience we had I had dinner with my spouse, and she ordered the strip steak and I ordered the Friday fish special - which has many choices but I went with the fried whitefish and had a second order of fried cod (it's an 'all you can eat'). Our waiter was very personable, and while he was reasonably attentive, there are still some issues with service that have plagued the place since it opened. After he brought our appetizer, the crab dip - which was excellent, we had to flag him down to order our entrees, a salad we ordered didn't show up until after dinner was served as he forgot it. Finally, I had to flag him down again to take the payment after about 10 minutes. He apologized, and again was overall very personable and helpful with the menu but just not quite there as far as a well trained server.

For the food, the strip was very good, cooked right and was very thick cut - about 2 inches thick so we weren't sure at first if it wasn't a filet. The fish I had was good - but the batter was a little thick. I did have to use a fork to strip the meat off the skin of the white fish. The cod was better from my perspective and I love white fish. The veggie chips were also a nice nice touch and the other sides were good. The prices are decent, especially the Friday specials.

The Upfront has beer specials, and when you order those they are a good value. If you order anything else you pay several dollars more per draft than you wood anywhere else. Their wine selection is fair.

Overall, we are happy to see the progress in this restaurant and will continue to frequent.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Dave A
michigan
“great staff”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

This restaurant has a great view of Lake Superior, good service and excellent food. Check their schedule, as they have live music many nights. It is a excellent place for a party.

Visited January 2012