$141
Comfort Suites Marquette(Marquette)(Great Value!)
$165
$220
$187
Cedar Motor Inn(Marquette)(Great Value!)
$96
$157
$144
$219
Hampton.com
Brentwood Motor Inn(Marquette)(Great Value!)
$88
Days Inn by Wyndham Marquette(Marquette)(Great Value!)
$142
Travelocity
UP Motor Lodge(Marquette)(Great Value!)
$96
All reviewstop floorthe penthousedowntown marquetteamelia earhartfloor loungesky roomhistoric charmmodern amenitiesdownstairs barcorner roomwouldn't stay anywhere elsemain floorwithin walking distancelocation is greatbeautiful hotellarge bathroomoverlooking the lake
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The location is probably one of the best qualities of the hotel. I took a little weekend getaway to visit some friends and meet up with them downtown...location is perfect. Being in the hotel business myself, I did notice a few things.

Upon arriving, there was nowhere to park; apparently there was a wedding going on. I parked in the neighboring church parking lot. Upon entering the lobby, it was very clean and the staff members passing by were very friendly.

Checkin was decently efficient. I arrived around 8:30 pm or so. When I asked the clerk if it was alright if I parked in the church parking lot his response was that I was probably going to get towed. He didn't really give me a solution to my problem until I came out and asked what I should do to avoid getting towed. He thought a moment then surprisingly, offered valet parking...weird it took so long, but alright. I wasn't given any information as to where the bar or restaurants were, didn't know if they were still serving food, and had to ask how to get to my room. To be honest, I kind of left the desk a little confused. The condescending attitude didn't make me feel anymore welcome than the serious lack of information...

The room was great. Very historic but well maintained. I liked the bottles of wine for purchase in the room...it was a nice touch. Matresses were horrible, and dated...but it's an old hotel...The room was spotless, and that is something that I look for. It had a pretty neat alarm clock that I could plug my iPhone into...one of the highlights of my room as I forgot my charger!

When we went into the bar for some drinks, it wasn't very busy. We sat there for a good 15 minutes before we were even acknowledged by either of the two bartenders. We had to get their attention and ask if we could order food. They were pleasant once you started talking to them, just not very customer-oriented from the beginning, and definitely not overly friendly. I got the vibe that we were on their time. After waiting so long to get served and then to put an order in (the bar still not very busy), we told him we would just have someone bring it to the room instead. The room service girl was very pleasant and friendly.

We got a steak from the pub and some appetizers, it was okay. Not bad for "bar food." We did not eat in the restaurant but I can only hope the service was better in there.

All in all, this place has to work on their training of their staff. This is a must in any type of hospitality business. The front desk staff should at least have a script for dummies to read off of to ensure that guests checking in know the things available in the hotel, especially if someone has never stayed there before. The bartenders need to work on their bar awareness. No one should have to wait two minutes, much less 15 minutes to even get a simple hello or acknowledgement.

Would I return? Yes. I would return simply for the location and the fact that it did seem pretty quiet. Not a lot of noise in the room, and again, the location is key. I would definitely just use it as a hotel though, and dine elsewhere.

I like to see hotels operate with success, especially one as historic as The Landmark. It was evident that there were no managers around on a Saturday night ensuring that things were going smooth, and that was odd. Good managers and hoteliers are usually seen roaming about. I highly suggest management waking up and teaching the staff some hospitality. It's on you to make your staff better...training is seriously needed.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank David3690
Reviewed September 21, 2013

The Landmark is one of the hotels we stay at over and over again as we visit Marquette.

The Pros: The location is perfect - right downtown, walking distance to shopping, bars and food. The hotel is very nicely appointed. The staff is very friendly - from the front desk to the bartenders to housekeeping. The Pub is a great place to grab a drink, watch some baseball and grab a meal. Room service is fast, hot and delicious. The rooms are (for the most part) spacious and very comfortable with large bathrooms and great views. Finally - it's less expensive than the new Hampton Inn a few blocks away.

The Cons: We love the Landmark, but there are a couple issues.

Noise! We were on the second floor and we could hear the solo-acoustic guy in the pub singing away until he stopped. In the pub itself, he was so loud it was nearly impossible to talk. I understand the attraction of live entertainment, but they should turn they guy down a bit so partons can talk and guests can enjoy some peace in their rooms. This was not an issue when we've stayed on higher floors.

Noise! (#2) Monday morning, 7:05am the city started tearing up the sidewalk right under our room. There were jackhammers and compressors and trucks blaring. It was truly unbearable. Of course, the hotel can't be held responsible for this - but I would encourage them to raise the issue with the city because it was a seriously miserable situation for a couple very early hours of the day. I'm sure the city could have timed the work better than 7am in front of the only hotel downtown. That's no way to encourage visitors to your community!

Noise! (#3) We've had the repeated issue of slamming doors in the hallways. This seems to be largely inline with Saturday weddings (and Friday pre-parties). It's been fairly consistent the last few times we've stayed here. It would be great if they could put some mechanisms on the doors to minimize the slamming factor. It's an old hotel, and with that comes some extra noise - we understand that - but I think some corrective measures could be taken here.

Our last real issue is that they could use an upgrade of the mattresses. The last couple rooms we've had have had very hard, uncomfortable mattresses.

Despite the Cons, we really do love this hotel and would encourage our friends to stay there. It would be really great to see a couple of the noise issues addressed. See you soon Marquette!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2013

After sitting abandoned for years it is good to see the Landmark reopened, joining in the resurgence of Marquette. Excellent location, okay, maybe a few blocks down the hill would have eased the walk.

The bill for three nights, two breakfasts and one lunch was $601. I thought a good value. The lobby is very good and the rooms are fine. The restoration is not elegant, plastic tiled showered stalls, antiquish but mismatched furniture, but these seemed to be of very minor distractions. Hotel staff very friendly and casual, wait staff in main dining room excellent, okay in Pub. Food was good in the main dining room, after spending years in the U.P. I have not found excellent food very often so thought the food was quite good for the area. Pub food was pub food, not good but at least satisfactory.

There is a good feel to this hotel, you enjoy entering it and feel at home. The value was good. I would stay here again, and will. Marquette has worked hard, and successfully, to establish itself, and this hotel is a fine example of a refurbished city.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank pushhard
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I love beautiful, old timeless hotels and this is one of them. Absolutely gorgeous, antique furniture in our room and simply beautiful; one of the most lovely rooms I have ever stayed in. Comfortable, nice sheets, pillows, etc.. Very spacious, comfortable chairs, huge bathroom, no complaints on this one!

Room Tip: A view of lake superior would be a plus of course!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This was a good choice for our stay in Marquette. We try to stay at historic hotels whenever possible. The Landmark Inn is nicely restored. Lovely lobby. Our room (lilac) was very comfortable and had a nice view of the lake and down town. Great location. We enjoyed a walk to the beautiful harbor park area and maritime museum. Pretty reasonable price also.

Room Tip: Stay on upper level facing the lake for the view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple