“Step back in time”

Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Marquette
marquette, michigan
“Step back in time”
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Step back in time with a visit to this historic old hotel.When I was a little girl, I stayed there with my parents . I remember the black and white tile and the transoms over the doors. It has been renovated after sitting empty except for the ghosts for years. It is all marble and class. It doesn't have a chlorine pool, but the views of Lake Superior are to die for. The food is first class and the 2 bars in the hotel are cozy and a must see.For the brave at heart, check out the spirit in the Lilac Room! Travel there if you dare!

Room Tip: Stay in the Abbott and Costello suite, party on!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Grosse Pointe Shores, Michigan
Reviewed October 17, 2011

My son is now attending Northern Michigan University as a freshman this year which has introduced us to Marquette Michigan and the lovely Landmark Inn Hotel. We have stayed here multiple times now and love it! The staff is extremely helpful and pleasant. The location is perfect walking distance to the downtown strip filled with several boutique shops and wonderful restaurants. Each room in the hotel is decorated differently with unique charm, very clean and well kept. We have stayed in several different regular rooms, a two room suite and the penthouse. The penthouse for a larger family or group is absolutely unbeatable, this was a treat to stay in! The bar at the top is quaint with a beautiful overlooking view of the bay on Lake Superior. We have eaten at both the Pub and Main Dining room several times now, the food is very good and the atmosphere fits the historic hotel ambiance. I highly recommend this hotel and plan to stay here each time we visit Marquette!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank luannryan
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 13, 2011

As soon as I walked into the hotel lobby I knew I was going to love this hotel. If you are at all interested in historic buildings, don't miss the Landmark Inn. There was much to like about the Landmark. All of the hotel staff that I encountered were genuinely friendly and professional. Although we had one of the smaller rooms in the hotel, it was still very large by traditional standards. The main floor public areas are gorgeous and provide an historic ambiance that really sets the mood of the property. Although I didn't get a chance to eat in the beautiful Capers restaurant, I could see that it would provide a unique and elegant dining experience. I did take advantage of both the Northland Pub on the main floor, and the North Star Lounge on the top floor. Both were great, and the North Star Lounge has a view of Lake Superior that can't be beat. The central downtown location of the Landmark Inn is another great feature of the hotel.

If I had to find anything I didn't care for it would be that the linens and furnishings of our particular room on the fourth floor were beginning to look a little worn. Based on photos from the hotel web site, I don't think this is the case in all the rooms.

I definitely can recommend this hotel, and I hope I get a chance to return some day.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Landmark Inn while visiting our daughter at Northern Michigan University. I initially tried to make reservations in a couple of slightly less costly chain hotels on the highway, but they were booked. I was glad they were as we found a true gem! No, you don't get a free breakfast of tiny bagels, mini cereal boxes while people try to move around you to get to the milk tapper. What you get here is a beautifully furnished hotel with lake views and great restaurants, and a fun bar with great drink specials and above par bar food. Our room was immaculate and tastefully furnished. The best thing about this hotel over others on the highway is the location. We took a stroll along the shop lined streets, stopped in a quaint restaurant for coffee and walked to the lakefront. I hesitated giving this hotel such a great review for fear of this place being booked the next time we visit.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank HungryGypsy
luxemburg
Reviewed September 25, 2011

My wife Terri and I just came back from staying at The Landmark Inn in Marquette, MI for the weekend. This a very nice historic hotel that is also very romantic. The hotel is located on a high hill overlooking Lake Superior in the downtown area. It has a pub/restaurant call Northstar Pub, Capers Restaurant, & Skytop Lounge on the 6th floor overlooking Lake Supeior. All three will serve yiou food from the same menu. There are plenty of other restaurants within walking distance from the hotel. You can walk to the beach where there is a beautiful park to walk through. You can do shopping on Washington St. which is only a block away from the hotel. On Saturday's there is a Farmer's Market which is about 2 blocks away. If you are a church going person there are plenty of churches within 4 blocks of all faiths.

Room Tip: Book ahead if you want a king bed, by the time we booked our room we had to take a room with double...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cihafamily
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 21, 2011

It's always good to find one of the old downtown hotels still operating. This place opened in 1930 as the Northland, and was resurrected more recently as an upscale place. I decided to spring for two nights here to do something special during our visit, and we were not disappointed.

The lobby was fancy and attractive, and check-in was quick and friendly. Our rate with AAA discount was around $130. We got a room on the 5th floor with a view out over the lake and some of the more attractive buildings downtown. The room was clean and well furnished, but not very large. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was large and clean, and there was a decent selection of toiletries. There was some noise from the bar upstairs (it seemed to come down the elevator shaft), but it was nothing serious, and ended fairly early.

The location is excellent. The hotel is on a hill just north of downtown, so the views are great, and everything is an easy walk away. There is a free lot for the hotel, and while the best spaces by the door fill up quickly, there is plenty of parking. We did eat at the hotel one night, choosing the pub downstairs. The food was good, and the beer was surprisingly well priced, even for specialty brands.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank roadtripperMaryland
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here in August in the Penthouse Suite. It was a nice change from the previous few accommodations in the upper peninsula of Michigan. The Penthouse Suite is very nice and spacious. There is one bedroom with a view of a factory (not ideal) with a gas fireplace off of the living room. The living room is large and has a gas fireplace. Comfortable sitting area and a dining area. There is a small kitchen with utensils if you need them. The bathroom for the first room is in the hall by the entrance. It has a shower. The bathroom needs an update in that one expects modern stone/granite and not a 1980/90s type shower. There is another bedroom to the right with its own bathroom. This bedroom overlooks more scenic views like a church. The bathroom also needs updating. The huge jacuzzi tub takes up most of the space. I don't use tubs. The shower is built in a very small unfortunate way so that it is not easy to shower. I would tear it out and put in a comfortable modern shower. The towels are not as lush as one would expect. No upscale bathroom products. The only real problem we encountered with the Suite was that the temperature controls were not easy to control. One bedroom was an ice box. The other one (where I was forced to turn on the heat) was too warm. Housekeeping advice: the dining and kitchen area floor was sticky when we arrived and there were cobwebs in some places. Nice gesture: there was a little gift bag with chocolates etc when we arrived. Nasty gesture: the sour faced lady at the front desk refused to give us one second passed the check out time. We are used to hotels that are very liberal about check out time with their best customers. Often we are told that we have several extra hours. This woman would not budge on the time even though she knew we had arrived late the night before and so were not enthusiastic about rushing our in room breakfast. The breakfast was fine. I would not return because of the room temperature issues and the check out thing.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family