“Classy,fine dining in Marquette”

Elizabeth's Chop House
Ranked #11 of 115 Restaurants in Marquette
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Seattle, Washington
“Classy,fine dining in Marquette”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My first visit to Marquette was Saturday night (first visit to the Upper Peninsula!) I was thinking: North Pole/limited dining options! However, the quaint city of Marquette really surprised me and I was very happy to dine at Elizabeth's Chop House. Sophisticated decor and ambiance, extremely polite staff. My server, Ethan was very professional and welcoming. Ethan brought out a basket of assorted breads and I wanted to order an appetizer. Skeptical of getting fresh oysters in the UP, I nevertheless ordered my favorite: Oysters Rockefeller. They were bland, tasting of grilled oysters with spinach and mixed with....was that melted American cheese? For dinner, I selected one of the two whitefish entrees, since I was right on the shoreline of Lake Superior. The waiter explained the fish is fresh caught and literally pointed across the street to Thilly's Fish Market where the fish is bought. Unfortunately, the "cedar plank whitefish" ($29) upon which the fish was grilled, overpowered the fish with a strong smokey wood taste. The fresh green garlic spinach side saved the day. Next time, I will try the regular grilled whitefish. My friend ordered the 20oz (wow!) ribeye ($42) and it was truly delicious. I couldn't have cooked a better ribeye on my own grill. For wine, they have a nice selection of wines and I had a glass of Cline Viognier ($10) followed by a Penfold Shiraz,($7.50) both glasses were fresh and delicious. For fine dning in Marquette, try Elizabeth's Chop House.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank chrisDTW

Surf City USA
“Terrific Steaks & Seafood”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Very classy white linen type restaurant. A pleasant big town-type surprise in such a small town. Must try the bone-in rib-eye.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank jg3arrow
Orchard Lake, Michigan
“Romantic, Comfortable and a Great Dinner!”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Our family enjoyed a great dinner at Elizabeth's Chop House. Located a short walk from our hotel, The Hampton, we enjoyed a great dinner. The atmosphere is very refined yet comfortable. Decorated nicely for the holidays, the restaurant was humming on a Thursday in December. The waiter was attentive and the food was fresh and tasty. My daughter loved the filet with crab legs. The escolar was sautéed and served with a small piece of crab. The whitefish was tender, moist and flavorful. All in all a nice find in the upper peninsula of Michigan.

• Visited December 2012
Marquette, Michigan
“One of the Best in the Upper Peninsula”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

This is an upscale, pricy all-around professionally managed restaurant. Because the food is excellent and the service is very good, the experience adds up to a good value for a special occasion or as a treat for yourself and someone special. The kitchen is staffed by professionally trained chefs and it shows in the quality of food served as well as beautiful presentation. Lunches are also very good and may represent a better value over dinners, but dinners are superb. This is an excellent restaurant overall.

• Visited November 2012
Metro Detroit
“Mediocre at best”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We went here after my son's graduation for a celebration. Called ahead because the ceremony finished early. They were very accomodating. (manly because the place was empty). We arrive at about 1pm, and seated right away. After we were given menus we notice it was the dinner menu and asked about the lunch menu. We were informed that they were no longer serving lunch (it was now 1:15); Reluctenly we orderd from the dinner menu. Service took 30+ minutes for our salads and soups. I think those who had the soup thought that was the best part of the meal. Our meals arrive quite a bit after the first course. When our plates were set down, I thought they had only brought half the meal. My wife's steak was over done, she said that was ok. Although she could only eat a little over half of it. Poor cut. My prime rib was just a sliver noware near the cut I was expecting. It did come rare as ordered. The other meals were graded ok. I guess when your suppose to be the top restaurant in the city you can get away with being mediocre at best.

• Visited December 2012