“The Gar's Burger Is A Legend”
Review of Gar's Lounge

Gar's Lounge
Ranked #7 of 37 Restaurants in Marine City
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Don't go to Gars expecting luxury. Actually, if you're going for the ambiance, turn around and run. The Gars Burger however, is the stuff legends are made of. It's a huge burger, topped with bacon, cheese, blue, or however you might like it, and when you're done, you'll want to loosen your belt and brag to your friends. Not only is it big, it's a great paddy of meat.

While you're there, get a Boomba, their famous fishbowl of beer. If you're going for fries, make sure you split an order with yoru burger and beer, because once you've filled up on the complimentary, and salty, popcorn, you won't have room. The best part is, your meal and drink will easily be less than $20.

Many Canadians specifically make the trip across the ferry for a Gars Burger. I'm really not sure what the other reviewers experienced, as I know dozens of friends and family who swear by this place, and continue returning multiple times each year.

Date of visit: June 2014
1  Thank IDKSPK

Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Worst staff I've ever encountered at a restaurant.
After waiting a half hour for our DRINKS, we were already ticked, after an hour of waiting for food and having NOT eventually seen our order, we paid for our drinks and left hungry - and very unpleased. Will not be going back.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Gar's has had a solid reputation and following for years in this area. I think that this restaurant/bar is a case of a reputation that was once deserved but has not been cultivated over time. I fear that once the reputation was solid that it has been taken for granted. There are too many dining options in the area to "rest on ones heels" in the restaurant business. Although a loyal following still exists. We have eaten here several times.

Gar's is a bar with food. The food is average as is the service. The burgers are the mainstay and they are huge. The Gar burger is a beast that I have only managed to finish once. Cutting one in half and saving the other half for tomorrow's lunch is a tactic employed by one of my friends. Other than the size, however, it's an average burger. Add in service that seems to be getting slower and slower it all adds up to an average restaurant. If it weren't for the carry over loyalty I'm not sure how well Gar's would do.

I have witnessed people ranting and raving over their burger that is just not that special. I'm not going to slam the place as I will go there again when I feel like having a burger and a few beers but I also don't feel the gushing reviews tell the whole story. If you are in the area stop in for a burger and a beer, but don't make a special trip.

Date of visit: August 2013
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We had friends over for dinner one night and we got to talking about the best burgers in the Southeastern Michigan area. The usual "suspects" of greatness came up including Red Coat Tavern in Royal Oak and my all time favorite - Miller's Bar in Dearborn. Surprisingly their 10 year old daughter said her favorite burger was served at Gar's, a tavern in Marine City. We had also heard this from many others.

We headed to Gar's on a Sunday afternoon around 12:30. As far as we could tell there were three dining/drinking areas in this bar. One main bar area, a slightly elevated dining room and an outside deck reached through the dining room. When we got there only 4 or 5 tables were occupied. But by the time we left, about two third of the tables were filled.

Our server was quick to take our drink orders which amounted to two diet sodas. And she immediately put a basket of popcorn on the table. Nice touch since it would be a long time until our food arrived, as it turned out.

We asked our waitress to bring us an order of onion rings to share before our main course. And for the main course, I got a Gar's cheeseburger and my wife went with a burger without cheese.

After at least 20 minutes the waitress appeared with our order. She said the kitchen had screwed up and sent the onion rings out with the sandwiches. No apology. Just an explanation. She put the food down and took off like a rocket. We looked down and were shocked to find that we each had been served a half sandwich featuring cheese, mushrooms and bacon. Certainly not what we had ordered.

Probably 5 minutes later the waitress came to our table and before I could even tell her that they had botched our order, she said: "I know. I know. Let me takes these and I'll bring you your burgers." Again, no apology, just an action. But at least we got to enjoy the onion rings as a starter, which we had intended to do in the first place.

Another 15 minutes passed and she finally brought our correct order.

The best description of these burgers is mammoth. They were each at least a half pound. I'm not sure what kind of cheese they used on mine but it was white. Perhaps white cheddar, I'm just not sure. But there was a problem. I wanted to put mustard and catsup on the sandwich but as I tried to lift the top of the bun off, the molten cheese had fused the sandwich shut. So I had to turn it upside down to apply the condiments. Interesting and curiously, the sandwiches came with sliced pickles (tons of them) and onion on the side. Not slices of onion but a big hunk. I'd take a bite of the burger, then plunk a chunk of onion in my mouth at the same time.

This is, by no means, one of the best burgers in Southeastern Michigan. It is a popular place with a legion of followers, however. Will we be back? Probably not. Based on our experience this is more of a 2 to a 2 1/2 star joint but because so many friends dig it, I've been generous with a 3!

Date of visit: September 2013

Been to Gar's Lounge? Share your experiences!