“Hidden Gem”

The Rock at Big Fish Lake
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Marcellus
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Jackson, Michigan
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

Way off the beaten trail is The Rock on Big Fish Lake. Pleasantly upscale with a menu normally reserved for the big city. We started with an appetizer of Calamari which was perfectly done with a sprinkle of cheese and lemon. The main course was a half slab of ribs and my wife had a chicken pesto pasta dish. They were both wonderful. We were really happy with the service and the pleasant staff. It had a very homey feel and beckoned you to come back, which we will. I highly recommended The Rock but get there early as this is going to be a very popular restaurant.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank svanwass

Vandalia, Michigan
“Another Good Meal”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Just had another good meal at The Rock. The French onion soup is the best that I have every had. The steak was great as was the blue gill meal. The wait staff is always very pleasant, friendly and accommodating. Put this place on your list to visit.

Michigan
“Good restaurant needs just a little help”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

First, I would like to say that the chicken is the best I have had. It is nice to have a local restaurant that is good. However, I have to tell the negative as well. It is very, very cold in the restaurant. Perhaps it is the high ceilings, but you need to dress warmly if you are going there to eat in the winter. That is not a big deal if you know ahead of time and can dress accordingly. Now for the part that is not so good. The coleslaw. It has to be the worst I have ever had, and I have numerous friends who concur. The odd part is, coleslaw comes with the chicken. Cole slaw is on the list of sides. However, when I tried to substitute it for a salad, I was told that they could not do that. When I asked for management, they also apologized and said they could not do that. I could only get something else if I paid $3 for something else. Ummmm. BAD customer service. Now, I do not mean inefficient customer service. The waitress and management(?) were very polite about it, But if coleslaw was a side, why could I not substitute it for something that tasted better? They said it was something about the way it was set up on the computer. Say what? All I can say is, they might want to spend a couple weeks monitoring how much of the coleslaw they threw away. That might tell them that they need to find a better dressing for it. Other than that I cannot say anything bad about it. In fact, their pasta with marinara is excellent. Sometime I will try a steak. I have been told by my friends that they are excellent.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank sheshebop
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Worth the trip!”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I'm not from MI. We visit the in-laws and while I appreciate the people and scenery immensely, I'm always looking forward to coming back to my big city for decent food that isn't deep fried or bought from an institutional source. YAY!!! The Rock at Big Fish Lake fits the bill and is worth the drive. Fresh fish, tender meats, homemade sauces, and lots of fresh, crisp vegetables. Someone at our table ordered the fried chicken and we were all fighting over the leftovers---still crispy to the end. The management and servers were exceptionally professional. We underestimated the size of our party at the hostess stand but they were able to move tables about to accommodate the changes and did so cheerfully and quickly. Toward the end of our dinner, our normally wonderful 5 year old was just two antsy after 3 days on the road and couldn't sit still long enough. As we decided to pack my son up and get his food to go, the mgmt came over to discreetly let us know that my son's tendency to dart out of his seat was unsafe for the wait staff and other guests. He did this in such a kind and quiet way, respecting our family and advocating for his staff and the dining experience of all his guests. We were truly impressed with the food, staff, and the manager. We will return as often as we can (with a well rested child).

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank H R
“Looking Forward To A Return Trip”
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

So surprised to see all the upgrades that were beautiful inside and out. Wait was just a few minutes and the booth was very comfortable. Lots of variety on the menu and had a hard time deciding. Vanilla Bean dressing was wonderful and made in house. Salmon was delicious but according to dinner mates different from the last time they ordered it but still very good. Looking forward to a return trip and I will take some photos next time. Fireplace inside is beautiful.

Visited November 2013