Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Poor - based on 1 review

Reviews from our community

Martin R
England, United Kingdom
“Lovely house, ruined by poor cleanliness and maintenance”
Reviewed 4 weeks ago for a stay in May 2018

Let me start by saying that this property has some good points. It is light and spacious, with plenty of facilities for 7 adults and a 16-month old baby. Useful essentials are provided, such as tea and coffee, cleaning products, toilet rolls etc.
That said, the house is dirty, and in need of some proper maintenance and care.
Following a recent family holiday to this property over the May Day bank holiday weekend, I provided some constructive feedback, privately, to the owner through Sykes Cottages. I cannot fault Sykes Cottages, who provided excellent customer service. Unfortunately, the owner’s response was very dismissive, so I now feel justified in making my opinions public.
We arrived at this property, as instructed, after 3pm. We found that the standard of cleanliness was poor. In particular, the carpets and floors were absolutely filthy. As we had a sixteen month old with us, we couldn’t just leave it, so looked for a vacuum cleaner and mop so we could bring the floors up to a reasonable, hygienic standard. The vacuum provided by the property (a Henry) is not fit for purpose in a ‘pet-friendly’ house with thick pile, cream carpets.
When I complained about this, the owner stated that we should have contacted them and they would have sent the cleaners back. That’s fine, but the owner does not provide a contact number. This means that we would have had to call Sykes Cottages, who would then have contacted the owner, who would have then contacted the cleaners, until finally they returned. Realistically, it could have been a considerable wait and, as we had a 16 month old who had been travelling in a car for some time and needed to be able to crawl around, we were forced to do the cleaning ourselves. There were also tiny plastic beads all over the lounge floor. These were not easy to see from a distance but could have been harmful to a pet and were certainly a hazard for the 16 month old. These were coming from the footstool which was damaged underneath. I can understand that these things happen, but again it suggests a lack of attention to detail, ensuring the property is fit for guests.
Another disappointment was that the dishwasher was not working. The owner states the property is not advertised as having a dishwasher, but it appears that this has just been left in the kitchen without any effort to fix it, or sort the problem. As a holiday home, there is a duty of care to ensure that the property is well-maintained and appliances are in good working order. I will also point out the oven and hob dials are worn. There are no longer any temperature numbers left on the dials, so you just have to take an educated guess as to what the right temperature is when cooking.
My family and I have stayed in many holiday properties over the years and we do not have unrealistic expectations. If any of the above points had been in isolation, I just wouldn’t have made a fuss, but this litany of issues clearly suggests that the owner is not bothered about providing a decent holiday home; they just want the money from the holiday makers. There are thousands of well maintained, high quality holiday homes out there (many provided by Sykes); sadly this isn’t one of them.

Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
May 29, 2018
Thank you for taking the time to provide your review.

I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your recent stay. We rely on feedback to assist us in ensuring all of our properties are of a consistently high standard, and should any issues be highlighted to us, we try to deal with them as efficiently and effectively as possible.
We have ensured your comments have been addressed with the owner, and will continue to work with the owner to ensure no further guests have the same experience.

Kind Regards,
The Customer Service Team
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing