“Great bargain”
Review of Northshore Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manistique
Northshore Motel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Manistique
Detroit, Michigan
“Great bargain”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We called the day of our arrival to see if they had any rooms. I was told they did and when she told me the low price I was very hesitant to see the room as I assumed the worst. What a huge surprise to get such a pleasant, clean, convenient room for such a low price. We stayed two nights for the same price as one night in Munising. The lake is viewed right out your front door, and you can get on the boardwalk trail by walking 40 steps out your front door. You can access the lighthouse by driving 1 mile, downtown by driving 2 miles, and the beach for swimming/tanning by driving 4 miles. If the Lake Michigan beach is too cold, drive to Indian Lake State Park which is 10 minutes away. My only complaint is that there was significant slamming of doors/jumping around early in the morning which seemed to be coming from the upstairs unit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank WoolTraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Take it from someone who is pretty fussy, this place is spotless. I agree with the other posters' positive comments. I was very pleasantly surprised when I opened the door to my room.

From the moment I arrived I could tell the owners appreciated the business and really made me feel welcome.

The bed was very comfortable. Nice flat screen TV in corner up by ceiling which I loved. So nice to just lay in bed and not have to prop yourself up to watch it. Coffee pot in room with coffee packets, but also two Bun coffee pots up in lobby in morning along with a couple of bread choices for toast. I chose the cinnamon bread! I thought the coffee was really good. Refrigerator also. A small table with two chairs right in front of window so you can enjoy your morning coffee while viewing the lake.

I really liked the handicap handles to get in and out of the shower. Hot shower with good pressure. (It did take a few minutes for hot water to arrive so be patient.) My bathroom was well lit. In fact there was a light over the sink that I did not bother to turn on. The towels and washcloths were like new. Another thing in the room that I thought was a great idea and I had never seen this done before: There was a blue washcloth for makeup removal (in plastic bag with note). A couple of brown ones for any spills.

The little black book on the table had lots of brochures, a note from the owners, and list of businesses in area.

Nice breeze coming off the lake. Highly recommend this motel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank halfpint48439
Haslett, Michigan
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Clean, impeccable room, nice accommodations. Owner operated & they take pride in their motel. Its been renovated nicely, although it may not look like it at first glance. Well maintained. Coffee and rolls provided in the morning. Nice park with walking path across the street, good for watching the sunset. Had a bit of trouble finding a good restaurant in town that serves alcohol.

Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Sue M
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We decided on this motel bec. another one only had an answering machine after 2 calls. Although originally our second choice we've no regrets. It was a bit difficult to find some of their info. (for some reason I can't update TA) so here goes:

906-341-4151 info@up-northshoremotel.com www.up-northshoremotel.com

The room wins the award for clean. This place proves on older style hotel can be updated, typical UP decor. Basic style w/ a tv, mini fridge and coffee maker. A big Jacks grocery is nearby, Jacks also has a small cafe. Elias Bros. also nearby. The room has a small book w/ local activities and info. on the hotel, ie internet. The lobby also has a brochure/map you can take with you. A small breakfast of toast and coffee was available but we were back on the road after a good nights sleep. The owners were concerned w/ mosquitos (UP hazard) but it was a non event in our room. They are also the nicest people.

The shower curtain makes the tub area dark but hopefully the next time they upgrade they'll go with something with a window. It is nice the tub has non slip mat. They label the towels but that just let me know how much they care for their items. The are open to pet guests in a couple rooms so call to get the policy/availabiltiy. Totally worth the money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SubicChick
Michigan
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Located in the middle of a strip of hotels and motels along the highway east of town, this place is unassuming on the outside, but turned out to be a top-notch motel.

The condition of the room was unsurpassed. Neat as a pin and clean as could be. I don't think I've ever stayed in a hotel room in better condition at any price. Amenities included fridge, TV, coffee maker in the room, as well as cocoa packets, snacks, and bottled water in the lobby. Also free wi-fi (which some big-city chain hotels are still bent on charging for, but which was freely available at many locations across the U.P.). The proprietors were friendly and helpful.

Location is directly across the highway from the lakeshore. You can see Lake Michigan from every room, albeit with the highway in-between. A quick jog across the road gives you direct access to the lakeshore trail, which you can follow all the way back to the city park and the breakwater. There's no beach to speak of, at least that we saw, but there were some nice rocky shorelines to explore.

The only (slight) negative I can think of was that the A.C. unit was unusually noisy. We managed with just the fan for most of the night. Despite facing the highway, the road noise was minimal.

I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank maa-maa
Marshall, Michigan
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This was our third stay together at the Northshore Motel, though my guy has stayed here four other times. All our stays have been in the last two years. It is the only place we stay in Manistique, because we know it is spotlessly clean, and is an excellent value. Before we discovered this lovely property two years ago, we once stayed at a really awful property nearby. We are happy to have found our "go to" motel in Manistique, so we don't have to experience a stay like that again! The room we had on this stay has been completely redone. It had all modern furniture, a flat screen TV, refrigerator, coffee maker, plenty of nice towels, hair dryer, good lighting, free WiFi, and pretty quilts for bed coverings, All this, and it is directly across the street from Lake Michigan, providing beautiful views and a pleasant place to take an evening or early morning stroll on the boardwalk. If you are traveling through the area, or are looking for a place to stay in the area foe a few days, I highly recommend this motel!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 10. Cute decor, comfy beds, flat screen TV.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JulieLove13
Kennesaw, Georgia
Reviewed May 25, 2013

This was a great find. The owners are so very nice and accommodating. The rooms are a little small, but so clean and tidy that I was fine with it. I was able to sit at my table and look out at the lake across the road until nearly 10:00 PM. Nothing fancy, but just a truly pleasant place to stay with a great view and wonderful owners who care about their guests.

Room Tip: Any room is good!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo