“just so-so”
Review of The Ramsdell Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manistee
The Ramsdell Inn
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Manistee
Reviewed June 13, 2007

This is just an ok place to stay. I wouldn't really stay here again because i don't think you get what you pay for. i have stayed at more upscale places that have offered more ammenities,etc for less money. I was disappointed in the service and staff. Had I read other reviews posted here, i probably would have stayed elsewhere. check out your options before makeing your reservation at the ramsdell

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank culater007
There are newer reviews for The Ramsdell Inn

Reviewed June 6, 2007

I stayed in the tower room at the Ramsdell as a romantic getaway two years ago. I loved everything but the price. The room was wonderfully decorated and spacious, the bed was comfortable, the views were great, and the bathroom was nice and clean.

The history of the building really added to the experience of our stay, and the receptionist was happy to share his knowledge. I must admit that the price was more than I'd normally be willing to spend, but it was definitely worth it for a special occasion. I'd highly recommend the Ramsdell Inn.

I've just been turned on to Trip Advisor and wanted to go back and rate my favorite experiences; the Ramsdell Inn was memorable enough for me to do this 2 years later!

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank npavlik
Reviewed August 12, 2006

My expierience at this inn was fantastic. I was part of a wedding whose guests rented out rooms for the entire bridal party. The innkeepers were very gracious, and offered fruit for us to eat while we were getting the bride ready. The rooms were absolutely beautful, extremely comfortable, and the beds were the cleanest and most comfortable I have ever experienced while traveling. The decor was very relaxing, and a perfect blend of antique with all the modern amenities. The staff were very relaxed about checking out and understand the complications of being part of a wedding party...in fact, they even let us use the hotel lobby to open up the gifts the next day and allowed us to move around the lobby furniture. Also, my date had to check in without me (the room was in my name) and they made it very painless. I really cannot say enough good things about my stay here...my only regret is that I didn't stay longer.

4  Thank nurkdenflurn
Reviewed June 19, 2006

Our room was very beautiful, and the furniture quite high end. The mattress was very comfortable to sleep in. The bathroom was tiny. We were not aware that the lobby closed at 4pm until after we checked in. So after 4pm if you are in need of anything, you are out of luck. The staff was poorly trained, and not professinal. They were not accomodating at all for our request for extra pillows. We were informed that there are only two per room. Breakfast was just muffins and coffee. The muffins were the best I have ever had, but I was disatisfied that nothing else was offered, not even juice. Be aware that this place is not a place for kids, they don't offer roll away beds, and no coffee pots. They didn't even offer to help us with our luggage up the stairs when showing us to our room. The cost was well over $200 a night and we just didn't get what we paid for. Next time, I will stay elsewhere for a lot less, and receive more for my money. This was a poorly mananged inn.

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank Plane_Fun
A TripAdvisor Member
Portsmouth, Virginia
Reviewed June 2, 2006

This small hotel has nice location, but there seems to be lots of "issues". I stopped by on an slow night (lots of rooms available). The lowest room was $129, and I had a room at the Days Inn for $65. Well, I looked at a room and they seemed ok, so I asked the clerk if he could make me any kind of deal since I was there with cash in hand. In fact, I used his phone to see if I could cancel out of the Days Inn. He wouldn't (or couldn't) come down even ten bucks, and this was minutes before the desk was closing for the night!. I told him 100 bucks is better than an empty room, but no movement. (He seemed friendly enough, however).

Next, the desk closes at 4 pm. There's no one in the building but the guests. Getting hold of one of the guests seems to be a problem.

This small hotel seems to be just an investment. I'm a very frequent traveller and opted for a discount hotel over this place. Too bad, because I had hoped to stay there, but common sense led me elsewhere (and I had a fine stay). I cannot believe the Ramsdell Inn is profitable, except by comparing their high room costs to other Manistee hotels. You may have a nice room, and I hope you have a great stay in Manistee, but there are better options than this over-priced, poorly managed facility- no matter what the location.

Pick a better hotel and take a 10 dollar cab wherever you need to go!

Frank

• Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Fatanna, Manager at The Ramsdell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2006

I would like to respond to this review for numerous
reasons. First, this gentleman didn't even stay with us,yet he ranked our comfort and cleanliness. He stated that we would not budge on the price even, though there was no one else their. It was a Friday night. we DID have other guests and the room he
wanted was a king size for $179.00 and he offered
the desk clerk $100.00. We are very flexible with
our prices, and as much as we try to be friendly
and accomodate peoples needs-some people
you just can't make happy-no matter what. I would
ask if you are considering a stay at our Inn, that
you disregard this review and give us a try-I
guarantee, you WILL NOT be disappointed!

A TripAdvisor Member
a neighbor who appreciates the staff and its service
Reviewed March 9, 2006

I booked this hotel as a Christmas present. The manager did everything to make things extremely comfortable. Sure there is a flight of stairs, as it is ala 1890's, but the VIEW and beauty of the suites and all rooms is well worth the exercise. The view looking up and down the street running along the river is phenomenal. IF you are fortunate enough to see a 750 foot lower laker ship come in it is an added bonus. The drawbridge is outside your window, the ships towers rise high above the three story Victorian buildings. Very clean, and in addition to the river, as you look West, there sits the humungus Lake Michigan, less than 6 blocks away. The lobby is a story by itself, with charm only reserved for cities like San Francisco and Chicago. This IS a JEWEL!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 31, 2005

We stayed here for 2 nights in late June, in the Harbor Suite - on the top floor of the Inn, with partial Manistee River views.

The suite was beautifully decorated, and the standards of bedding and furnishing were excellent.

Breakfast was included - simply muffins and coffee laid out in the reception hall.

A great little place, right in the middle of the town, walking distance to all shops, riverwalk and out to Lake Michigan.

One word of warning - there are no elevators in the hotel, so walking up 3 floors of stairs, gives you a good workout - especially with heavy suitcases!

If you like comfort - you'll like the Ramsdell Inn.

6  Thank TheFlyingScots
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manistee
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Manistee
#1 of 10 in Manistee
Manistee Inn & Marina
Manistee Inn & Marina
#2 of 11 in Manistee

Been to The Ramsdell Inn? Share your experiences!