“Great view, pleasant place, unpretentious”

The Boathouse Grill
Ranked #12 of 42 Restaurants in Manistee
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Does pretty well for an economically depressed area, with few patrons on a weekend evening. Food was good - the bruschetta appetizer had a very good cheese. The salad I ordered was marginal - included a little piece of plastic from the wrapping that I suspect it came in. Washed down with a good beer from Grand Rapids. We asked at a nearby inn for the best restaurant in town and they pointed us to the Boathouse - probably accurate. Waitress was quite nice. View was gorgeous (see photo). Not a bad choice for eating in town.

1  Thank JennyWoof
There are newer reviews for The Boathouse Grill

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Keep going back for their soup, always good and never the same choices, varied menu makes for an interesting meal. Love their MiniMo's, tasty too.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I had read a few bad reviews on the internet before our trip to Manistee. So we ducked out of our reservations on a busy Saturday and ordered pizza from Big Al's. The next day, we grabbed lunch at the Boathouse. I had a classic cheeseburger, which was cooked perfectly, and my girlfriend had a hanger steak and cheese sandwich. The steak was flavorful and tender, fries came with my burger, and I left completely satisfied. Overall, the choice of eating establishments in Manistee is not so hot. The Boathouse should get it's respect.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I dont normally give a review of a restaurant where I did not actually dine. However, in this case our party of 3 took a stroll from one end of the Riverwalk and then back. As we ended our walk, we noticed alot of people seated outside at the Boathouse and decided to have a beer on their deck outside. Several patrons made comments about how good the food was and numerous diners ordered some type of Nacho's that looked really good. As we prepared to leave, I obtained a take out menu and looked the place over. It was very clean inside & had an atmosphere that seemed much richer than the prices on the menu... and appeared to have more of a fine dining look than a casual atmosphere (though folks were dressed casually.)
We have already decided to give the Boathouse a try on our next visit to Manistee based on the atmosphere, menu, and prices.

One HUGE complaint: From the front of the building it is difficult to locate the Boathouse because there is not a visible sign on its exterior...which is a a mangement issue. We had tried to locate the place on two prior trips but did not see a sign.

As always, be safe in your travels....and enjoy!!!
J.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

The Boathouse Grill, while highly recommended, provided us with a very mediocre dinner. When meals are in the $15-$20 range, we expect a salad that is not directly poured out of a bag and warm food. My fried lake perch had obviously been fried long before I ordered it and the french fries were limp, greasy, and lukewarm. My coleslaw was served in a small bowl with strands of cabbage hanging over the edges--unappetizing to say the least. My husband ordered a steak dinner--it was dried out and looked like shoe leather. This restaurant was very disappointing--particularly since there is great potential. The location on the boardwalk is excellent--a very nice view when sitting by the windows. I'm not sure we will give this restaurant a chance to redeem themselves since just a few miles away the Bungalow Inn is sure to offer good food at a reasonable price.

2  Thank Zebulon2012