“Tempted to Sleep on Our Scooters”
Review of Mancelona Motel

Mancelona Motel
Mancelona Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Mancelona B&B and Inns
“Tempted to Sleep on Our Scooters”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Our first stay in the late 80's was very pleasant, so we decided to visit recently while traveling on our scooters to the UP.
We walked in to find dirty floors, blood stains on the pillow cases and no hangers. The whole two inches from the walls looked like they hadn't been vacuumed in years. One of the beds had ants in it.
I took the pillow case to the slovenly clerk and asked for a different room. He acted indifferent to all my complaints, including bloody exhibit A. He didn't apologize and matter of factory stated he only had one other room. We took it reluctantly. It was still dirty but it at least didn't have blood stains and came equipped with three hangers.

We paid an exorbitant $73 for the dubious privilege of worrying about what critters might hitch a ride with us.

We learned an long overnight lesson...just because a hotel used to be nice, check the current reviews. Perhaps the staff should offer their guests a broom, dust pan and disinfectant... and a whopping discount.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank kcscooterfan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Grand Rapids
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed here June 2013. This place is gross, unclean, just nasty. Old matresses with pubic hairs and stains. Ripped and torn bedding linens. Probably the worst motel I've ever stayed in. The guy that worked the front desk was very nice and helpful though. Its a shame because this place is in a great location for atv riders.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank John R

Travelers are raving about these Mancelona hotels

Midland, Michigan
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I read the reviews and was nervous about staying here but I decided to do it anyways. I stayed here with my wife and two children (ages 8 and 5) for a winter snowmobile trip. We wanted a simple place that was cheap and near the snowmobile trails. The room was clean. This is by no means the Four Seasons and certainly is not advertised as such. It is older and needs upgrading but it will get the job done. If you have ever been told that you are a "high maintenance" type person then this motel is not for you. The staff at the front desk was very helpful and friendly with advice on area trails to try on our next visit. Some people have said that they are not friendly but I would attribute that to the demographic of people they are dealing with every day. Many snowmobilers are revved up on testosterone and think the trails are to be used as practice runs for the Winter X Games. So naturally the staff can be a little guarded. I thought the staff was good to deal with and will certainly be staying here again some day. Just keep in mind that this motel will "get the job done" of having a bed, bathroom and TV. This is not the Four Seasons.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Absolutely the worst motel. Filthy insecticide smelling room. Gouged for $74 dollars. Loud I heard every footstep from upstairs and then pipes banging at 5 am. Holes in the walls unclean carpets and beds made at least two decades ago. I slept about two hours all night twenty mins at a time. I really recommend sleeping in your car before staying at the Mancelona Motel !!!!!!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank easys
Zeeland, Michigan
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The motel has bed bugs! gross . The owners argue with you and say they do not have any bed bugs. I got a bite on my arm one morning and of course didnt want to say it was from the motel. Did not spend any time in the room during the day, just slept there at night. The next morning actually saw bugs on the side of exposed mattress, where sheets or blankets didnt cover it. Reported it to the desk as soon as we found it and of course left the motel a little early because of it. The owner said because we didnt report it until checkout and we had use of the room, we wouldn't be getting a refund. Pretty crappy customer satisfaction.
The dresser in the room was falling apart and the mattresses were definitely not very new.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank de m
ALGONAC
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We booked because there was one review, which was good. Although this motel looks nice on the outside, it is a dump on the inside. Our bathroom mirror was cracked in two places, the hair dryer didn't work because the ground plug was sprung and the bathroom fan did not work. The soap is cheap - made in China. In the room, the dresser was worn down to the plywood and the drawer handle was hanging by one screw, which the management didn't even bother to repair. The switchplates on the wall were cracked in half. The secondary door lock was a chain hung on the wall in a loop, which you were to place around the door knob. We were in a pet friendly room and I believe there were fleas in it, as I woke up with five bites on my arm. Fortunately I had bathed my pet and put Advantage on her before we had come to this rat hole. I have never reviewed a hotel like this before, but even the desk clerk didn't blame the older gentlemen who wanted to view a room before booking it for not staying after he looked at the room he was given a key for. We will never be back. As a veteran of independent motels, I just don't want anyone else to arrive here expecting a decent motel. It is evident the owners do not care!

Room Tip: Only book a room where there are several reviews.