“Don't stay here”

Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Madison Heights
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I am shocked at how run down Extended Stay has allowed this facility to become. Upon arrival, the lobby wreaked of marijuana, the check-in process took forever, then we were told the elevator was broken. We went upstairs to find the hallway badly stained (like, really gross). The rooms are nothing like the pictures show. The furniture is nasty and I had the actively make myself not think about the cleanliness of the bed (which was also not very comfortable). I guess that's what you get when you're only paying $60/night, but they should make improvements and charge more. So gross. The only reason I stayed here was because it's cheap to bring dogs. I'll never make that mistake again.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Elizabeth B

Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Very Nice people at the front desk, fire alarm going off in middle of night, front door open so all can walk in, and did I mention the carpets with more stains than clean carpet. ... this place is for you - pay cheap, get cheap - not a five star for sure but if you just need a place to crash, this is it ... bring shampoo no small bottles provided.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DMAZ1968
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. I am so glad that our staff provided you with such great service. Still, I am very sorry that you were disturbed by the fire alarm going off in the middle of the night during your stay. Please know, our fire alarm looks a bit like an extra light switch and can confuse our guests. We are working to have it replaced, and in the meantime are communicating this to our guests upon check-in to ensure it is not a problem moving forward. As well, I am sorry that the carpet was unclean. In response, our team is provided it with a deep clean and we are having it replaced in the beginning of next year.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at dmh@extendedstay.com. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Do NOT stay here, the place is dirty and the smell is terrible. The manager is not friendly at all and the rooms are full of human hair everywhere (beds, fridge, bathroom). The floor is sticky and you can find food from old guests left it in the countertops.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Moises E
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This property is more like a homeless shelter than a hotel. To say it is filthy is an understatement. It has old, worn, and dirty carpet and a terribly offensive odor permeates the hotel. I suspect this is due to the guests who call this place "home" instead of a hotel and the foreign businessmen who cook in their rooms. The kitchen countertop had chunks of formica missing. Even though I wasn't planning on cooking, aesthetically it was extremely unappealing as was the hair of strangers throughout the room. As a woman traveling alone, the security was also worrisome. Upon arriving late and checking in I made 2 trips to my car and found the security door to the parking lot disabled with a stone jammed in it. It maybe have been someone walking their dog (I saw a few), but why not take your card key - especially after midnight? The front desk clerk left promptly at 11pm and no one was around thereafter. I promptly canceled the rest of my stay the next morning. Personnel was pleasant enough. FYI, for business travelers, there are no hairdryers in the rooms. The front desk said they have 6 but all were checked out. Sigh.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank ldmr_10
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I have been here for over a year and a half and while things were great in the beginning they have gone down hill since. We were excited to have the TV and Bed upgraded in our room as it made life more comfortable however a couple months later the rent was raised suddenly by $100 a month without warning. We have just had our rent raised another $100 for the second time in 2013 and found out that we are due for another on in September. By September that will $300 more a month then we were paying in December. This angers me quite a bit while we understood the increase the first time these last two times nothing has been updated or changed.

My other complaints would be the laundry room washing and drying costs $2.00 per load and you have to dry a light load 2-3 times in one of three working washers out of the six at any given time. We just gave up and started using an off site facility as we save money and time.

The last major compliant I have is about the internet. We pay $30 a month which has also now increased to $40 a month and if someone down the hall from us is using too much of the internet we cant relax and watch a movie. I have brought this up to the new manager who pretty much shrugged the concern off as it was nothing he could control. If we are paying for a service I don't want someone who is only staying for a weekend to determine how much of that service we get to use. Because of the price increases I would never recommend this place to anyone when there are so many other hotels in the same area.

We are going to be doing our best to get out of here as quickly as we possibly can because I believe that our money is worth something even if the manager or the owner do not.

Room Tip: Go to the hotel next door they offer a real breakfast not just some coffee and an oatmeal bar.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SheenaMRogers
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Sheena - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that our free WiFi did always work properly. Please know, our company is in the midst of updating our provider which will help rectify this type of issue in the future. As well, I am very sorry that our rate increases and our onsite laundry fees are not in line with your expectations. Based on many factors, our rates can change throughout the year, but we always give notice to ensure our long-term guests are aware.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please feel free to contact me with any additional comments or suggestions at dmh@extendedstay.com or at extension 605. I hope as you continue your stay with us, you will see the positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I moved in on March 10, 2013 and my first impression was not bad about how my room looks. However, the internet over here is very very very slow and expensive. The give you 2mbps of download for $15 a week or $30 per month. It is very very very expansive even in my native country is much cheaper.

I can get comcast internet with 20 mbps download and 4 mbps upload for only $34.99, even with regular price like between $47 and $60 its very good. Pay $15 every week for 2mbps its like in Iraq. :):):)...........

I give an *Average* - however, I wanted to give *Poor* because of the expensive internet and very low speed!!!

If you look for good internet speed and so expensive, don't move in. If you're fine to pay $15 a week for 2mbps = you're welcome!

" - I'm not going to recommend my friends to stay over here for long time. Maybe 1-3 days and thats it!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank maxim030390
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We appreciate your kind comments about the room; however, we do apologize that the wireless internet did not meet your needs. In response to your feedback, I am working with our wireless provider to ensure all our equipment is functioning at its highest capacity.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at mtomaszewski@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I just spent 16 days here. My first impression of the clientele was "oh this is where FEMA sends disaster survivors." But my review is on the hotel, not the people.

The carpet was very old and damaged. By the bed it looks like someone had a problem keeping their cigarette in their hand while sleeping. I accidentally spilled a bit of kool-aid on the kitchen floor and when I cleaned it up the towel turned black with old dirt. Sweet.

The rooms got cleaned weekly for me but they didn't do a good job. Once they forgot to replace soap. The other time they left a piece of crud on the stovetop and they didn't bother to clean underneath the dish pan.

In order to use the sink I had to ask for a stopper. I was told they were being "replaced" but more likely the place got tired of people stealing them. You might ask: who would steal a sink stopper? Probably someone staying in a FEMA-provided evacuation center.

The trash cans were usually over filled. There were a lot of strange hairs here and there that I blocked from my memory. Silverware was the bare minimum. No sponge or dish soap was provided, which seems odd since every kitchen I've ever seen has had those items. Kind of like having a refrigerator and not a freezer.

My favorite part of the stay was that for the last few days there was a "phantom smoker" in their room. And of course the smell permeated into my room. I put up with it but told the front desk upon checkout. The front desk told me that they were trying to locate the problem and every time they entered the suspect room they found zero evidence. This is especially egregious because the room was one of the closest on the property to an outside door where they could smoke!

The main redeeming quality was price and location. But for what little I got I may have done better.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank tjustman

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The situations you described regarding the conditon of your room, the quality of housekeeping service you received and overall smoking issues, is truly regrettable. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I have reviewed your comments with the staff, and we are beginning a thorough and in depth training program with the housekeeping team to make sure your experience is not repeated. I am also working on a Spring Cleaning effort throughout our entire hotel to ensure all odors do not linger.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at mtomaszewski@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison Heights
Baymont Inn & Suites Madison Heights Detroit Area
Hampton Inn Detroit / Madison Heights / South Troy
Residence Inn Detroit Troy/Madison Heights
Red Roof Inn Detroit Madison Heights
Candlewood Suites Detroit - Troy
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Detroit Troy

Been to Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights? Share your experiences!