Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights
$44
Priceline
$139
$101
All reviewsmonth stayfront desk staffenjoyed my staydetroit areabrittanymiaccommodations
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I have been here for over a year and a half and while things were great in the beginning they have gone down hill since. We were excited to have the TV and Bed upgraded in our room as it made life more comfortable however a couple months later the rent was raised suddenly by $100 a month without warning. We have just had our rent raised another $100 for the second time in 2013 and found out that we are due for another on in September. By September that will $300 more a month then we were paying in December. This angers me quite a bit while we understood the increase the first time these last two times nothing has been updated or changed.

My other complaints would be the laundry room washing and drying costs $2.00 per load and you have to dry a light load 2-3 times in one of three working washers out of the six at any given time. We just gave up and started using an off site facility as we save money and time.

The last major compliant I have is about the internet. We pay $30 a month which has also now increased to $40 a month and if someone down the hall from us is using too much of the internet we cant relax and watch a movie. I have brought this up to the new manager who pretty much shrugged the concern off as it was nothing he could control. If we are paying for a service I don't want someone who is only staying for a weekend to determine how much of that service we get to use. Because of the price increases I would never recommend this place to anyone when there are so many other hotels in the same area.

We are going to be doing our best to get out of here as quickly as we possibly can because I believe that our money is worth something even if the manager or the owner do not.

Room Tip: Go to the hotel next door they offer a real breakfast not just some coffee and an oatmeal bar.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SheenaMRogers
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Sheena - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that our free WiFi did always work properly. Please know, our company is in the midst of updating our provider which will help rectify this type of issue in the future. As well, I am very sorry that our rate increases and our onsite laundry fees are not in line with your expectations. Based on many factors, our rates can change throughout the year, but we always give notice to ensure our long-term guests are aware.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please feel free to contact me with any additional comments or suggestions at dmh@extendedstay.com or at extension 605. I hope as you continue your stay with us, you will see the positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I moved in on March 10, 2013 and my first impression was not bad about how my room looks. However, the internet over here is very very very slow and expensive. The give you 2mbps of download for $15 a week or $30 per month. It is very very very expansive even in my native country is much cheaper.

I can get comcast internet with 20 mbps download and 4 mbps upload for only $34.99, even with regular price like between $47 and $60 its very good. Pay $15 every week for 2mbps its like in Iraq. :):):)...........

I give an *Average* - however, I wanted to give *Poor* because of the expensive internet and very low speed!!!

If you look for good internet speed and so expensive, don't move in. If you're fine to pay $15 a week for 2mbps = you're welcome!

" - I'm not going to recommend my friends to stay over here for long time. Maybe 1-3 days and thats it!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank maxim030390
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We appreciate your kind comments about the room; however, we do apologize that the wireless internet did not meet your needs. In response to your feedback, I am working with our wireless provider to ensure all our equipment is functioning at its highest capacity.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at mtomaszewski@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I just spent 16 days here. My first impression of the clientele was "oh this is where FEMA sends disaster survivors." But my review is on the hotel, not the people.

The carpet was very old and damaged. By the bed it looks like someone had a problem keeping their cigarette in their hand while sleeping. I accidentally spilled a bit of kool-aid on the kitchen floor and when I cleaned it up the towel turned black with old dirt. Sweet.

The rooms got cleaned weekly for me but they didn't do a good job. Once they forgot to replace soap. The other time they left a piece of crud on the stovetop and they didn't bother to clean underneath the dish pan.

In order to use the sink I had to ask for a stopper. I was told they were being "replaced" but more likely the place got tired of people stealing them. You might ask: who would steal a sink stopper? Probably someone staying in a FEMA-provided evacuation center.

The trash cans were usually over filled. There were a lot of strange hairs here and there that I blocked from my memory. Silverware was the bare minimum. No sponge or dish soap was provided, which seems odd since every kitchen I've ever seen has had those items. Kind of like having a refrigerator and not a freezer.

My favorite part of the stay was that for the last few days there was a "phantom smoker" in their room. And of course the smell permeated into my room. I put up with it but told the front desk upon checkout. The front desk told me that they were trying to locate the problem and every time they entered the suspect room they found zero evidence. This is especially egregious because the room was one of the closest on the property to an outside door where they could smoke!

The main redeeming quality was price and location. But for what little I got I may have done better.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank tjustman

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The situations you described regarding the conditon of your room, the quality of housekeeping service you received and overall smoking issues, is truly regrettable. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I have reviewed your comments with the staff, and we are beginning a thorough and in depth training program with the housekeeping team to make sure your experience is not repeated. I am also working on a Spring Cleaning effort throughout our entire hotel to ensure all odors do not linger.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at mtomaszewski@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights due to a family death. I would not advise anyone who has a weak stomach to do so. I kept finding boogers smeared on the walls (at least 5) and other people's head and pubic hairs kept on showing up on my clothes and other items. Even though I kept my toothbrush in a closed bag, I still found someone else's hair on it. I nearly lost my breakfast at that point. Having a dog, the first thing I did when we came in to the room was to check underneath the bed, because my dog will eat anything he can get a hold of - I found several small items, including someone's dirty sock. If the "housekeeper" doesn't clean up boogers, nor vacuum sufficiently, nor check under the bed, what else is she missing?? There was a foul smelling discarded McDonald's bag in the side entrance for the entire time we were there -I'm guessing it's still stinking up the hall... I still feel dirty after that experience - it'll be a long time until I get over the queasy feeling of living in such filth - and my house is not at all neat by any means!!

Room Tip: It's not the room, it's the housekeeper.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
RDO_Sarah_L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The conditions you described are not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. To prevent this from happening again, my team is going to make sure that all walls and underneath beds have special attention given to them. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at dmh@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you are in town.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Of all the hotels in the area, Extended Stay had the best price. Rooms with full kitchens. I also considered staying at the Days Inn only because of the indoor pool but there were too many negative review for that hotel.

This was my second time staying at this Extended Stay, so I would recommend it. The only problems were an electricity outtage that lasted 15-20 min the first trip then a temporary channel outtage (ESPN) the second trip.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
RDO_Sarah_L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate your repeat business. I want to apologize for the temporary power outage and the issues with our ESPN channel. I know both of those were frustrating and inconvenient. Thank you for bringing them to our attention. We are happy to have you as our guest and look forward to seeing you again soon.