“This is our home for now.....”

Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Madison Heights
Madison Heights, Michigan
“This is our home for now.....”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

My husband and I moved from Oregon two months ago for a new job that he has. He has been unemployed for 33 months prior to that and because of that our credit is shot so it is making it really hard for us to get a place to live. Also, without a car for the moment it's hard for us to move around in town because of the lack of a really good bus system out here.

The location here is in a really good spot. We are walking distance from a full grocery store, target, the mall, costco and many other places as well. This area feels safe enough to let me roam around town without him being there and the people are friendly.

We moved in just as the new manager was taking over so we didn't really see how bad it was before but I have to say we have had a positive experience for the last two months. The manager is really on top of things. She is very friendly and if there is an issue with the room or services she gets them resolved VERY quickly and you feel very welcome to voice your concerns.

The hotel staff is also wonderful. They have ALWAYS been friendly and are willing to go the extra mile as needed to give you the best possible experience around. I would very much recommend this place to anyone who was looking to stay in town. We really do feel at home for now.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Extended Stay America Detroit – Madison Heights. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Madison Heights, Michigan
Reviewed April 4, 2012

My husband and I had been traveling to this property on and off throughout 2011 because we have family who live relativity close to the hotel, it was always convenient to pick this location but not always pleasant. Since the new year, (and new management), this hotel has gone through a lot of wonderful changes! Let me start by saying this hotel is a little older and the decor reeks of late 80's early 90's, which is misleading because the home website's pictures for this property is far from the actual experience and I'm pretty sure are actually pictures from another hotel in the chain. Don't let this stop you from staying. During this stay, entering the room our noses were graced with the smell of fresh linen. Amazing! Our previous stays we wouldn't even sleep under the blankets! We would sleep on top and bring our own blankets and pillows. Since the new year we have been leaving the blankets and pillows at home. This hotel has gone through intense improvements in the cleanliness department! Weather its the new manager or if they have new staff, I'm unsure. Whatever it may be I urge them to keep up the good work and we will keep coming. To all other's contemplating staying at this hotel, go for it! The front desk staff is always pleasant and even a breath of fresh air after a long drive or flight. Brittany and Hillary in particular seem to be there for us, the guests. If we ever needed anything or if there was an issue with our room they made us feel well cared for and even at home! This hotel is affordable and the staff is wonderful. They will do whatever they can to make you feel comfortable and welcome. Hope this helps!

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side of the building in the short hallway tend to be a bit quieter
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
It was very kind of you to take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay America Detroit - Madison Heights. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our company motto is "Excellence Every Day, Every Way," and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were freash and had an inviting feeling about them.

• Stayed March 2012
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I recently stayed at the Extended StayAmerica Detroit-Madison Heights on October 28, 2008 because I needed a room for my son. I took him to the Detroit Zoo's Annual "Zoo Boo" and needed a place a little close to get him out of the cold. I was going to do the Red Roof Inn. However, they wanted $61 for a room with a small refrigerator and microwave. Therefore, I decided to do the Extended StayAmerica Detroit-Madison Heights because it was a bit cheaper and you get a kitchen.

Cheap doesn't begin to describe this hotel. When I checked in; The customer service person didn't even ask if I wanted the internet nor did she inform me of check out time. I was in such a rush to get my son into his costume and get back out that I didn't notice a lot of the stuff until that night when we returned or the next day. The toilet tissue roll in the bathroom was broken so it didn't hold the toilet tissue up and it kept falling to the floor. The pillows on the bed were so flat that I ended up having to stick towels inside the pillow case just to get that comfort I was searching for. The bed seem to have been sunken down and could have been broken, which I didn't notice until I tried to sleep and the next morning. The A/C in the room did not work at all. It kept cutting off and I found it difficult to sleep as I needed the background noise to sleep.

The next morning, I discovered the dresser was a total and utterly mess. The cosmetics on it was horrifying, it's was all torn up and beat up. The microwave in the room didn't seem to work I had to warm up food at least 10 times just to get it to the desire temperature. When I opened the microwave there was a dirty plate in the microwave. When I went to make coffee the coffee brewer was already filled with a previous pack of coffee that housekeeping hadn't even dumped out. When I went to give my son a bath, the bath stopper switch didn't want to work and the hot water didn't work either. This was a horrible hotel experience as I have stayed at other chains for this hotel and have had no issues. The only reason I would ever stay here again is if I was in a really bad bind and Red Roof Inn didn't have any rooms available.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dru_travels_alot
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I was really surprised by the state of this hotel when we showed up. I was not expecting frills for the $70 a night we paid however I was expecting the basics. The wireless internet I paid an extra $4.99 a night for didn't work. The hallways smelled of burned food people were cooking in their rooms and looked dirty and unwelcoming. We called the front desk to ask if they had shampoo and were told they did not provide any amenities. When I went out to my car to drive to get some random men were sitting in their vehicles loitering in the parking lot and I actually felt unsafe. When I went to check out in the morning I was informed the front desk staff had not showed up yet so I had to wait until someone got there to check out. Not what I expected from the brand name. Steer clear of this one!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank DES_travels_alot
Reviewed November 18, 2010

Need to hire a cleaning staff that care about their job and take pride in their work .need better management staff someone who knows how to manage .

• Stayed June 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed July 7, 2010

We had a reservation to stay here while visiting family in the area during the 4th of July weekend. The bathroom sink had hair in it and did not look like it had been cleaned. There was hair on the sheets. My husband checked his coffee cup before pouring his coffee and it felt all sticky and scummy. The thing that really turned me off was the sheets and pillows had that old, stale smell and I couldn't get that smell out of my head. We had a reservation for three nights, but moved next door after staying only one night. On a positive note, the ladies who worked at the desk both in the evening and morning could not have been nicer. They were very helpful and friendly. This is the first time I have written a bad review on a hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison Heights
Baymont Inn & Suites Madison Heights Detroit Area
Hampton Inn Detroit / Madison Heights / South Troy
Red Roof Inn Detroit Madison Heights
Residence Inn Detroit Troy/Madison Heights
Residence Inn Detroit Troy/Madis...
#3 of 9 in Madison Heights
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit North - Troy
Candlewood Suites Detroit - Troy

Been to Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights? Share your experiences!