“Infested with bed bugs!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Madison Heights
Flint, Michigan
“Infested with bed bugs!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2011

As somebody who works over 100 miles from home, I often stay overnight in the Detroit area once a week. I've stayed at this Econo Lodge about a dozen times and while the furnishings are dated, it was comfortable and the staff is friendly.
On this last time, I noticed that the mattress was crinkly and when I investigated the next morning I found it was encased in large, zip-up plastic cover. Under this top mattress were the shells/carcasses of several bed bugs.
I left all my nightclothes in the trash and went straight to the store to buy new ones and dispose of the outfit I was wearing.
I'm very disappointed in this motel. They clearly KNOW they are infested and are taking steps to remedy the situation, but to rent rooms without notifying the guest is inexcusable.
I have several small children and pets at home. To allow me to possibly take bedbugs home to my own house is appalling.
Shame on this establishment and please, please reconsider if you have a booking here!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
StephensonMichigan, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
We are surprised, there is no name for the person making the complaint, we were unable to track the problem down, and we question if it was our hotel. Anyway, as a consequence of the write up, a new pest control program was initiated to inspect and treat all rooms.

As a hotel standard pest control procedure, we do a special Pest Control treatment every 6 months for all rooms, and another routine pest control program treating 25 rooms per month.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Waterford, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2011

My husband and I had a wedding on that side of town and just wanted a cheap place to stay that was comfortable. This hotel (motel?) met that requirement. It was obviously an older facility, but we weren't looking for a 5 star hotel. The price was perfect, you couldn't ask for a better deal!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Waterford, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2011

Stayed here for Valentines day getaway and got home the next day and could'nt stop itching, came to be revealed that the infestation of SCABIES had occurred from the room #316. Required exstenive treatment for two days and treating my furniture,clothing and bedding. What a night mare. NO NOT stay here!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Madison Heights hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

I have been booking multiple rooms at this motel for quite a few years. We only stay here because the price is right and we are only in the room long enough to sleep and shower. Last year when we stayed here, were were told that the filthy carpets would be replaced in time for our trip this year. They weren't. You have to wear shoes, otherwise you will ruin your socks as the rugs are so filthy. At about midnight on Saturday night, our toilet backed up and ran all over the floor. I called the front desk and asked for a plunger and towels and Tom told me he couldn't leave the office to help me that I would have to come to the office for my own plunger. When I got to the office, he told me that he still couldn't leave the desk and that I would have to get the plunger myself (out of the men's room, and I am a woman). He would also only give me 2 towels to wipe up the floor. He also told me that it was not his job to deal with the plumbing problems, so I can only assume that it was my job as a paying customer. We then proceeded to get into a shouting match. When my friend stepped in and tried to talk to Tom very calmly, Tom continued to scream at my friend. Upon checkout, Tom would only give me a 10% discount for my room. When I spoke to Hedeer, he tried everything to get me to book my 7 rooms again next year. I told him they were already booked........ at the hotel next door. This place is filthy, they make promises, but do not keep them. My toilet was not the only one backing up. I think the hotel has some major plumbing problems. It's worth it to pay a few extra bucks to stay somewhere else. I only wish that the toilet had backed up again while we were checking out so that they would have had to deal with the water all over the floor after we left.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank luvtotravel68
StephensonMichigan, Owner at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, September 24, 2010
For the past 7 yrs. Ms Mary use to come to out hotel, on the dream cruise event, unfortunately it looks like things didn’t go very well this year because of the toilet problem, on that night since the maintenance . staff were already gone & fixing the toilet was not the FD clerk task, first the FD offered Ms Mary to change her room, but she didn’t want to, saying that she can’t move all her stuff to a different room., then he suggested her to use the plunger to solve the problem but she wasn’t satisfied with this solution & even she came to the front desk with her friend to return the plunger & started yelling to the FD, they look like they were drunk, after one week we contacted Ms Mary & apologize for the inconvenience, we offered her four nights free on her next visit on the dream cruse, but she requested that all the 7 rooms. to be free, we thing this is unfair for our business, we apologized to her. We were trying to make Ms Mary happy with any faire offer that the hotel can afford it, that’s why we sent send her a letter with the same offer that she’s been informed before, hopping that she will accept it.
Regarding the carpet, our plans was to change the carpet for all our rooms, but due to the bad economy we decided to change specific type of rooms, which unfortunately were not the rms. that Ms Mary booked, hopping in the near future to change the carpet for the remaining rooms.
OAK PARK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

My husband and I stayed here on 3 occasions. The first visit we left and noticed bumps on my back and his stomach. Not knowing about bed bugs we assumed it was mosquito bites or a rash. The second stay there were no noticable bites. The third stay 1 week later! My back arm and side were covered with bites in a trail. His shoulders and leg were covered in bumps. Thats when it finally occurred to me what had happened. I talked to the assistant manager who insisted it was not bed bugs and that I must be mistaken. I complained with corporate and days later I still haven't heard a response. The worst think is to find out that theirs a disease associated with these bites. And they leave feces on your SKIN! sTAY WAY FROM THIS MOTEL!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TRAVELNOW74OakPark
The hotel took care of the problem by hiring a professional pest control company, since we never heard any complain before, we don’t know how the bugs get to the room, even the company couldn’t find out. The hotel satisfied the guest by refund her money back.
kelly3349
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2008

This place is nasty. DO NOT STAY!! there was hair on my pillow and in the towels. I found a condom under my bed. This guy who is supposed to be manager Hadear? was the rudest person i have ever met in my life. and at first he said he was the owner. he and the housekeeper seemed to be having a fling. she was always at the front desk and with him. they would sit around talking different langage. whichis very rude if you ask me. non of the housekeepers could speak english. they kept telling me No No. Frank i guess he is the owner, should have went to business school befour opening a hotel. and if he wants people to enjoy there stay he needs a new manager and housekeeping that can speak english

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kelly3349
marquette,mi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2008

Very clean hotel. great location for shopping and easy access to I-75

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the snow wasn't cleared and it had snowed many inches the week before we were there
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jcornfoot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison Heights
Red Roof Inn Detroit Madison Heights
Baymont Inn & Suites Madison Heights Detroit Area
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit North - Troy
Hampton Inn Detroit / Madison Heights / South Troy
Extended Stay America - Detroit - Madison Heights
Extended Stay America - Detroit ...
#5 of 9 in Madison Heights
Quality Inn Detroit - Troy

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!