“As good as ever!”

Boodles Restaurant
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 31, 2014

After reading a couple negative reviews I felt compelled to review once again our Boodles experience. Boodles atmosphere is definitely "old school". No hardwood floors, high ceilings minimalist decor here. We like it! It is comfortable and welcoming. Service is always good with attentive knowledgable wait staff.
We have never had anything, but wonderful dinners. Lamb chops are excellent and done to the requested perfection. If you like duck this is also a great choice. One of us has had a lobster meal almost every time and it has never failed to disappoint. The caesar salad, prepared at table side, is excellent, but very filling. We are not dessert eaters so I can't speak to that part of the menu.
Several evenings a week the music is live. It is loud for the size of the dining area, but so good all you want to do is listen.
Try Boodles on a Wed. or Thurs. evening and you'll have an experience to talk about.

1  Thank par521

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Maybe it was just a bad night, not sure. I've raved about this place for 20 years. Never had a bad experience. Pulled into the parking lot with my wife on a Saturday evening about 6:30. There were 6 cars in the lot. What? That's prime time. Outside was never that special, and it really doesn't matter I guess, but looked a little run down. Cob webs? Inside has the same old school atmosphere, which was good. The Manhattan I ordered was way watered down. Our Calamari app was a breaded mess. Side caper sauce bland. Escargot was OK, despite being room temperature to cool. They are served atop 4 large mushroom caps.. My wife liked her perch dish. I sent the Veal Marsala back. Perfectly round pieces of veal? I don't think so. They were rubbery and looked like a GFS product. I was upset that they'd tried to pull one over like that. I bailed out and got a replacement NY Strip. Nothing to write home about. My overall experience actually made me kind of sad. Restaurants are a tough business. I get it. Just hope Bruno isn't just mailing it in. Don't expect long time customers to keep coming if it's always like this.Time for a makeover, Similar to what The Brewery did about 6-7 years ago.

4  Thank Jozio65
Reviewed July 13, 2014

My husband and I ate here for the first time yesterday. We had driven by countless times, but never been drawn to it, however, the Yelp reviews are good, so my husband became curious to try it. We were driving by recently and saw a banner advertising 1 1/2 pound Maine lobster dinner for $25, so we decided that we'd try it.

We arrived at the restaurant, and everything started out very well. It is well-kept, has an inviting atmosphere, and the service staff is excellent. Our waitress was very attentive, friendly, and professional. Our waitress offered lobster bibs, and we thought it would be fun to wear them... she even took our pictures and we were having a great time!

The lobsters came and we began to eat. After a bite or two, I tasted something funny, like a chemical taste. But just passed it off as being overcooked; the claw meat also had had an odd consistency. But then I couldn't get over the "chemical taste". Before I took my next bite, I actually smelled it and it smelled really bad. I asked my husband to smell it and he took a whiff and instantly recognized ammonia. Once he said ammonia, I said "that's it!". I wondered if something happened, like if it fell on the floor and they used ammonia to clean it, which I really didn't expect, but I didn't know why it would smell that way. So I googled lobster and ammonia on my phone and found that lobsters that were dead or sick before they were cooked will emit an ammonia smell. So we called the waitress and asked her to smell it, and she stated she didn't smell anything, but took the lobster back to the kitchen. Then a man came out and told us he was Bruno, the owner.

Bruno informed us immediately that there was nothing wrong with these lobsters, and that he is prohibited by law from cooking dead lobsters, they must be alive when he cooks them. We didn't mention what we had found on Google, only that it smelled like ammonia. We asked him to smell it and he refused, stating that the smell of a dead lobster is so strong that "you can't get near it." He said they were fine "this morning" when they were cooked. He said he couldn't bring her a different lobster, that they cost him $15 each and he can't "eat that cost." At this point I didn't even want another lobster, so I asked if he could offer me another dish, which he refused. He also told us he couldn't deduct it from our bill, either, even though we hadn't asked. He then left and went back to the kitchen.

Now I felt sick, knowing that I'd already eaten several bites of a lobster that had something wrong with it. My husband didn't want to eat his either. I smelled his and it did have the same smell, though not as bad as mine was. We decided not to take a chance and told them that we would pay them $15 each for their cost and cash out. She came back with a bill for $31.80, which we paid and left.

Maybe it wasn't dead when it was cooked, but there was definitely something wrong with it. I later did some research and found that tanks that aren't properly maintained will cause problems with ammonia also.

lobsterworld.com/tank-ma…

The fact that the Bruno took no action to make things right, rather insisted he was right, is why I won't return. That kind of attitude is not only unwanted, but can lead to serious health problems in a restaurant. If you choose to eat here, be very careful with the lobster!

8  Thank acidreign3000
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I would say this is an average dining experience, my boyfriend said it was excellent so I guess that averages to very good. I had the lobster and seafood tomato sauce raviolis which was the days special, I thought the stuffing in the ravioli was fishy tasting and the sauce too acidity for seafood.The clam chowder was average, tne pre dinner bread was the best part of the meal, fresh out of the oven crust and hot. He had the lobster mac and cheese, we were rather surprised to discover that the lobster was breaded and deep fried, was very interesting and good. Not sure if I would go back.

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Great food fair price fast service you won't be disappointed !
Shirmp,lobster and steak were cooked to perfection job well done