“We enjoyed the overnight stay”

Holiday Inn Express Mackinaw City
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed August 9, 2010

The only complaint I had was the stuffiness I felt upon check-in and the hallways. We could never seem to get rid of the humid stuffy feeling of the outdoor heat. Granted it was hot and humid outside....but.. I expected some relief when walking into the hotel and didn't get it. My two friends and I did request the two-room suite and asked for 3 beds, and were very happy to have just that. The beds were comfortable to us. The breakfast in the morning was enjoyable.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 4, 2010

After reviewing some of the reviews about this hotel online, I was a little skeptical of staying there. However, I never encountered any problems while there. Our rooms were always cleaned and ready when we came back in for the day, they allowed our pet dog to stay (first floor only) and even had a welcoming bag for her (dog treats and necessary bags along with a list of recommended kennels in town). All the staff that we encountered was friendly and nice and liked our dog.
Most people on this website has complained about the beds and although I cannot totally disagree with them, I do realize that this is not the Ritz nor is it my own personal bed at home. The bed that I slept in was comfortable but of course not my own home bed. I've come to realize that most of the negative reviews are from a bunch of spoiled tourist. And some reviews on here stated that it's a tourist trap - well, of course - it's a tourist destination and they have to make money somehow since their season is usually May-October.
I think there is new management running this hotel and I saw the manager helping clean rooms, picking up trash in the hallway personally. I can't say that I've ever seen a manager do this when there are employees that are paid to do this - he just did what had to be done when it needed done.
I would recommend staying here to anyone that reads my review and am looking forward to staying here again soon. Mackinaw City is such a pretty little town and the view is beautiful.

Reviewed July 30, 2010

We stayed one night before taking the ferry to Mackinac Island for the week-end. We planned on staying Sunday night before our drive home on Monday, but we canceled our reservations. The shower had hair (the kind you especially don't want to see) stuck to the walls. There was a piece of brown toilet paper stuck back in the dispenser. The beds were not comfortable. The room was cramped. A friend arranged the room for us so we didn't complain. We just won't ever be back there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank bigblue57
Reviewed July 26, 2010

We stayed two days for a weekend getaway. We had a beautiful room, very, very clean and the staff at the hotel went out of their way to make us feel at home. I originally booked at another hotel down the road on the water but I'm glad I kept this reservation. Breakfast was good. Pool, hot tub area beyond clean. The staff was very helpful with information on restaurants and fun things to do. We plan to stay at the Holiday Inn Express, Mackinaw City again next month!

Reviewed July 18, 2010

Was looking forward to Mackinaw City but the town in just a tourist trap.....nothing extraordinary...the Holiday Inn kinda matched the nothing special...dated....appeared clean but smelled musty. Won't be back to this area anytime soon....what a ripoff.

Reviewed July 13, 2010

I have to be honest...when I read some of the previously written reviews we were a little nervous prior to our trip. What a waist of stress! When we were driving home my husband reminded me that I needed to get on here and write my own review. First of all I just want to say, we had the best time this past weekend and can't wait to come back. We were traveling with our kids and 2 other families and all of us stayed for 3 nights (wish it was longer). When we got to the hotel we were able to get into our rooms even though we got there earlier than they originally said we could check in. When we made our reservations we asked that our rooms be connecting or close together...2 rooms connected and the other was across the hall....THANKS!!! Our rooms were very nice and exceptionally clean and trust me b-4 we get comfy I'm the type that looks under the bed, flips back the blankets and checks the floor in the bathroom and if it's not clean I'll call and have someone come and clean it w/ me standing there (yep, I've been called worse). Loved the fact that you couldn't hear people in the halls either! It drives me crazy when I'm lying in bed and I can hear people in the hall or the room next door. While enjoying breakfast at the hotel we would plan our day. Thanks to the great staff, it was like we had our own tour guides helping us each morning. Everyone had great recommendations on where to go for dinner and things to do to both entertain the children (ages 1 1/2 to 14) and adults. The location of this hotel was perfect (especially for the price)....we walked down to the beach to watch the sunset, walked under the bridge, to the park and even snuck in a visit to the fudge shop. Don’t worry you can workout at the hotel! One day we spend at the island...remember to ask at the front desk for discounted ferry ticket, w/ the amount of people we were traveling with it saved us a fortune! We rode our bikes downtown about 5-6 blocks to go shopping, eat lunch and putz around. I wish I could remember the names of the all the staff who helped make our stay so wonderful. Thanks to everyone at the Holiday Inn Express! Thumbs up from all 13 of us, we can’t wait to come back!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank TCMOM31808
Reviewed July 13, 2010

I brough three kids to stay at the Mackinaw City Holiday Inn to swim and have a sleep-over. We enjoyed the room with a view and the pool was nice, clean and warm enough. We enjoyed the breakfast, nice beds and cleanliness. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family