“One Elevator Too Less! What a pain”

Clarion Hotel Beachfront
Ranked #21 of 40 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Reviewed August 26, 2007

We were scheduled to stay at the Hamilton Inn, but they moved us to the Clarion Inn because of a large group of college kids.
Nice view on the third fourth floor. However there is only one Elevator for two buildings. And the next day it was out of service and was not fixed all weekend, making it a pain to go up and down stairs. Decent hotel with nice front desk.

Stayed: August 2007
5  Thank mpmceo

Reviewed August 23, 2007

This hotel had quite a few positive reivews when I booked, although many were from several years ago. The "hotel" itself boasts about a AAA 3-Diamond rating, but I can only assume that is because no reiveiwer from AAA has ever made an actual visit here.

Our reservation was handled with no problem. We made a date change and the hotel handled it fine.

Our room was on the 3rd floor. There are no elevators in this hotel, so we had to c arry all our gear up 2 flights of stairs. The door to our room, which of course opens to the outside, has a large gap at the bottom. Daylight is visible when the door is closed.

The room was clean,a lthough it had an overpowering scent of air freshener that we could not locate or remove.

The indoor pool is located in a buidling in the center of the motel complex. You ( and your children) have to walk down the outside stairs, across the parking lot to enter the pool building. It was 50 degrees the night we stayed here in August, so this was less than enjoyable for me and the kids in our wet bathing suits. No towels are available poolside. You must walk outside from the pool building, across the parking lot ( again) to get pool towels from the front lobby.

We have seen many nice hotels in this town as we drive around, and next time I will ask for features that I consider standard in a room priced at $150-180 per night: doors that open to an interior hall, elevator, and a truly indoor pool.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank jankp
Reviewed August 5, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Clarion on 08/03/07 for one night. Booked two queen beds - beach front - 2nd floor; rate 196.44 (organization rate).

The room was nice and clean; the view was spectacular for a sunrise. I actually set my alarm to take pics of the sunrise.

We didn't spend a lot of time at the Clarion, like I thought we would, except to sleep and watch the sunrise. My husband was in the breakfast room first thing in the morning and said it was pretty good.

The staff could use some personality. I think only one of the three attendants smiled at me (barely) while I was being waited on.

I don't think I would stay here again, mainly because of the price and the staff. The hotel complex is larger than what one would think and there was not enough parking.

While I don't go for the cheapest hotel, I'm not used to spending so much on a room. Thought this would be the best hotel since i was ranked #1 on Trip Advisor. I'm sure there are other hotels that should be #1, but since I was there only one day, maybe I'm not the best judge.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank frandy13
Reviewed July 30, 2007

We stayed for 3 nights. We have a 11 yr. Old and a 14 year old.
The room was very nice, clean updated. A bit snug but nice. The staff was very friendly and helpful.
Pool and workout room is always important for my kids. They were a little disappointed on the workout room. It was not kept up very well, my son even fixed the bowflex so it was usable.
Other than that it was good.

We would probably stay again.

Stayed: July 2007
6  Thank KathyL0804
Reviewed July 26, 2007

I can honestly say this was the cheesiest hotel I stayed at in years. We checked in July 23,2007 for 2 days. Thought I would splurge on the waterfront suite for the family @ 288.00 night plus taxes. Described to us as a beautiful 2 bedroom suite with 1 king bed and 1 queen bed. What we found was a fairly new building only accessible via stairway on third floor. Font desk staff was indifferent. Non ADA compliant. Extremely tight quarters. I estimate furniture occupied 85% of floor space. Noisy wall mounted AC never could maintain a constant temperature. No fire sprinklers. One piece plastic tub and shower. Wireless Internet never worked. Overall cheap Motel 6 type construction. Breakfast was reminiscent of my days at summer camp when I was 12. Cheap. We passed on the free breakfast the second Day. Basically when I spend 300.00 a night for a room or suite I don’t expect a motel, I expect a Hotel with quality construction.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank seasonedTraveler007
Reviewed July 22, 2007

I have wanted to stay on Mackinac Island, but this hotel was a great compromise in terms of value, convenience, and amenities. Weekend, summer rates on the island are quoted at $285-600+. Quite often, the low island rates do not have a lake view, or they lack air conditioning or the room is too small. This Clarion was more affordable, including breakfast (not the best breakfast I have ever had, but not the worst. The buffet had enough choices, the line for the waffle maker was long both mornings we went.)
The Arnold Ferry is within walking distance, so we took the late ferry back, spent all day on the island.
The room was a good size, we had a suite, two TVs, balcony, etc... The decorations are a bit dark and flowery. Its clean and I would recommend this to family or friends traveling - especially since I was able to go to the Grand Hotel, have lunch, etc... but not pay a grand price. P.S. the Murray Hotel fudge is really good. If you like a variety of flavors, the Murray Hotel is a great stop. Buy 4 or 5 kinds and share.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank kbris10224
Reviewed July 22, 2007

This is a nice hotel, however there really is not any room with a bridge view contrary to the ads. You can't hardly see the bridge even by going out to the waters edge. Just the tops of the towers, so this was very disappionting to me. A view of the water is what you get. Overall it's not a bad place to stay, and nice and close to the Arnold ferry docks, right next door. As far as other things within walking distance......only if you like a long hike. Front desk was efficient and nice. A bit over priced I thought also. Overall clean, and nice. Good parking and good for families. Not for me next time however.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple