“Quality Inn Mackinaw City”

Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront
Ranked #37 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Chicago
“Quality Inn Mackinaw City”
Reviewed August 17, 2007

Dear Sir or Mamm
My wife and I just returned from a short trip to Mackinaw City in Michigan. I have just recently been downsized at work and was forced to take a lower position, with a pay cut also, so money was an issue. My wife made all of the arrangements online and was pleased with the pricing and what appeared to be a good value at the Quality Inn in Mackinaw City. Just after she made the reservations and confirmed them by credit card (confirmation #CF1186144873), she has noticed a few negative comments on line about this location, particularly with the management. We overlooked them, because they had taken place a couple of years ago and surely The Quality Inns would not put up with bad management, how wrong we were. We have also traveled in the past and were not concerned with the cancellation policies; we have never had a problem in the past, again how wrong we were.
En route we received a call from the Inn at 7:30 am on our arrival date asking if we were still coming and what would our arrival time be, we said about 2:30-3:00pm. The caller said fine. We later found out that they had also called our home, woke our daughter up at 6 am, (we are central standard time), and if we were coming, my daughter said that we were on our way, the caller said that they had to speak to us and that is when they called me.
We arrived right at 3 pm to find the couple in front of us arguing with the desk clerk about the room that they were supposed to receive, only to find out that they were not getting that room. The clerk taking care of us was taking a long time and when I questioned what was going on, she said that she just figuring out our rates, we had already paid on line by credit card. Finally she finished and then told me that our room was not going to be ready for another 45 minutes, here is a blank room key, go uptown and enjoy yourself. We went uptown and my wife was pretty upset. We came back in 45 minutes to find another couple arguing with the manager, about there room, the balcony being filthy and the beach was horrible. (We had seen this guy earlier and thought that he was just the maintenance man. He needed a shave, had an old tee shirt and jeans on.) When we originally arrived he was behind the counter and sneezed all over the counter and never covered his mouth. I can only imagine how disgusting the breakfast would have been. As I said we have traveled before and always the places we have stayed the management has bent over backwards to accommodate us, but not this guy. He argued with this couple and the only satisfaction he would give her was to get her a room in another Inn, he would not admit that this Inn had done anything wrong.
Our room was still not ready, just 10 minutes, we were told, and it’s after 4, now. The only answer that we got from the manager was that check in time was 3 pm and the room did not have to be ready until after 3 pm, and he would not give us a specific time. He was upset with me, because I kept going out and talking to other guests and employee’s and they all were all dissatisfied. I asked him for a discount or some other compensation and he refused, all he would do was give me a higher priced room at a discount. I have never had to pay for an upgrade, when it was not my fault for the room not being ready or whatever the problem. He asked us to go and wait by the room as they finished cleaning it and that he would bring us the key, he did not want me in the lobby.
The only picture on line showed the main building, with a four story hotel and we thought that we were getting room in that, how wrong we were, we were led across the parking lot to a small motel type building and the room was deplorable, no room to move around in. We put our luggage in and again went down town, really upset at this time.
The treatment that we and other people received was absolutely ridiculous and we decided to leave and we checked out and never used the room and are refusing to pay for it. I am notifying my credit card company not to pay the charges. I am also writing the Michigan Attorney General, The Better Business Bureau, The Mackinaw City Health Department, Chamber of Commerce and the Mackinaw Area Visitors Bureau and one else who will listen.
I have been in the Hospitality Industry for over 40 years and this type of attitude, manner and dress is deplorable. The cleanliness of the rooms, balconies and beach is not up to any health standards.

Dominick Palmere
dominick-jr@sbcglobal.net

Stayed August 2007
6 Thank dpeppercook

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
chicago, il
Reviewed July 31, 2007

We have stayd in this hotel in the past and always had a good experience, but when we checked in July of 2007 it was a different story. Our reservations were not correct and they gave us two rooms instead of one. It was stated that this was our problem and unless the hotel was completely booked we would be charged for that room. No matter what we said we were wrong. The hotel gave us a customer service number to explain the situation and that turned out to be worse! The person on the other line was very rude. In all my years I have never been talked to like that. In the end the charge was taken off, but this added a lot of stress to our vacation, something you don't need on vacation!

• Liked — The scenery
  • Disliked — the management and no customer service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank unhappytravler05

Travelers are raving about these Mackinaw City hotels

Detroit, MI
Reviewed July 24, 2007

My sister in law booked a block of rooms in the lake view for a family get together. (She had gotten a good price) My wife and I decided to go a day early so on the way we called on the way. They said they had two rooms left - one bed and they were $158. I said that was way too much so they immediately dropped the price to $128. I said no and they dropped the price to $108. I took it. Because of the time it could not be cancelled. We rolled in to find the hotel as it says in other reviews was actually in two parts. An old mom a pop hotel circa 1950 in the front, and the newer four story beach front units that are shown in the pictures. Well, we were in the mom and pop units. It had a queen bed, tv, table and two chairs and absolutely no room to walk around in. The bed was hard. Certainly not worth $108, let alone $158. The next night we moved to the beach front units. They were roomy two bed units with a balcony with some cheesy plastic chairs. They were probably worth the money (not sure what was paid for them). As far as the beach, the lake has dropped and the picture was pre lower water level. The shoreline is about 60' further out and not real great.

As far as food - we didn't eat there the first day but it looked good. The second day we got there at 9:45 - they are open until 10:00 and other than bagels, everything was gone.

Given the number of nice looking hotels around, I would take a pass on this one.

Staff in office was not very helpful.

• Liked — Size of second night's room (beachfront)
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank JerryU
Rochester, MI
Reviewed July 7, 2007

We were called at 7am the day of arrival to see if we were coming for our scheduled three night stay. (We were.) The person on the telephone told us an early (12:00 noon) check in was availble. When we arrived at 12:30 pm, we were told to come back at 3pm. When we went back at 3pm our room was still not ready. We were told to come back in 20 minutes. Our room was still not ready and when the manager found out, he went yelling and screaming across the parking lot to where the housekeeping staff were working. He treats his help just awful! A little after 4pm we were given a room that reeked of cigarette smoke. They gave us another room that did not have a screen in the window, but had also just been cleaned (and sprayed with air freshener), so it did not smell of smoke. We checked in, went to dinner, and when we came back, after being closed up for a couple of hours, this room also smelled of smoke. There were bugs on the ceiling so they sent a housekeeper to vacuum (!) them off the ceiling. We expressed our concerns to the manager who became irate. We asked for a refund so that we could move to a cleaner hotel in Mackinac City. (There are so many nice, CLEAN hotels to chose from!) He started yelling at us and told us to get off his property. He refused to refund our money. We filed a police report to help us secure a refund from the credit card company when we file a complaint upon our return home.
In addition, the "beach" is all rocks and smells of sewage. There is overgrown grass and standing water between the "beach" and the property, though we have not had rain in over a week. It was the worst travel experience I think we have ever had. With so many other places to stay in Mackinac City, I would not stay here. We stayed next door to this property at a very nice, clean hotel with a great beach and friendly help. It was also $50 per night less for a room with the same view and a private balcony!

• Liked — It had a nice view but there was an odor coming from the "beach"
  • Disliked — It is hard to way what was the worst part of this hotel...there are so many negatives to choose from.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Travelingwills
Calumet, MI
Reviewed June 24, 2007

While we were checking in, the manager appeared, wearing a soiled shirt (looked like yesterday's dinner dribbled on it) and abruptly took over from the desk clerks. He attempted a "switch" offering an upgrade room for 1/2 of what the aadditional cost would have been. We declined, and he seemed miffed. Then, one of the clerks asked him a question that she was transmitting from a customer on the phone. Wearing a very unpleasant expression, he VERY brusqley, gave her an instruction regarding the phone call. the caller apparently didn't accept what she said, and the manager then got on the phone, and VERY VERY brusqley dismissed the caller, saying he will not rent a room at that price. As I was finishing the check-in process, I asked where the house computer was, and was dismissedly told by him that he "does not offer a business center".

The room was acceptable, though it had some cosmetic issues. The breakfast was EXCELLANT, in a spacious, tidy, sunlit room !!!!

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — The manager's attitude
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank CopperKingCalumet_MI
Kalamazoo
Reviewed September 30, 2006

The hotel was ok. We were in the older part. The rooms were clean, but old. The screen doors didnt slide very well and glass doors were dirty. The shower didnt work that well, and had mold growing in it. The beach area was disappointing..not very much beach. TO get to it had to walk down a path through tall grass to get to the small not so nice beach. I could hear the people above us stomping around very early in the morning.

On the plus side, the maids were Very nice, and the beds were so comfotable. I slept so good. The pool was nice and warm, the hot tub was colder than the pool.

• Liked — Bed was so comfy
  • Disliked — the beach or lack there of
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lalala24
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 10, 2006

We stayed for 2 nights with our two children. After we checked in they informed us the elevator was broken and we were on the 3rd floor. They said it was being repaired, it never was. Everytime we came and went we had to carry the baby, stroller, and bags. We asked a second time about the elevator and were told it was being repaired that day, never was.
The manger was rude to his staff in front of us when checking in.
The picture of the hotel shows a nice big sandy beach, it was not. Only a small strip of sand,maybe 5 feet wide, the rest was overgrown with grass.
We received an early wake up call, we didn't ask for.
My daughter left her pillow in the room, when we called about it, they hadn't seen it.
It was a camp pillow she had all her camp friends sign.Gone.
Choice hotels has a 100% satisfaction guarantee, BUT they will not stand behind these franchise hotels, so beware.

• Liked — view/location
  • Disliked — Rude Staff/Lack Of Maintainance
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here