“This is not a Suite at all!”

Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront
Ranked #37 of 39 Hotels in Mackinaw City
Swartz Creek
“This is not a Suite at all!”
Reviewed September 11, 2010

My husband young son and I stayed here for the weekend. The queen suite lakefront was dated had a tiny TV and the sink handle fell off in my hand when I washed my face. The view was ok but the picture of the hotel we saw was the four story and we were in the older part. The sliding door lock was broken and held shut by a stick thing. We did get free passes to 2 "indoor waterparks" These are not indoor water parks but more glorified pools not made for people over 12. This hotel is dated and definately not a suite we are gonna reasd the hotel reviews next time we book!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Erwin, NC
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I am not even going to have enough time or space to describe this property. Immediately upon driving up, I knew that it wasn't as described. For starters, we were going for our anniversary, and my brother's beach side wedding that was to take place at the hotel. Instantly, I knew that the pictures of the beach were so wrong. They have no clean beach area. There is a small pathway, through the marsh/wetlands area, that took you out to the beach. You see, we asked, and we found out that if even 1 small grass comes out at the beach, Michigan has a state law that declares it a protected "wetland", therefore it's managements responsibility to carefully watch the property. And, Quality Inn neglected this requirement and state law, and is now deceiving people, and sticking you with the 72 hours no cancellation property. This was our biggest complaint, especially with us staying there for a beachside ceremony. Next, we checked out our rooms, and again, these rooms are NOTHING like the pictures they promote on their website. Immediately upon walking in the room, I told my husband that I refused to stay there for the $200 a night price tag they had on it. I wouldn't pay $50 a night for that dump. And, my husband & I travel full time, all the time, all around the US, Mexico & Haiti. After seeing the old wallpaper job that was ripped in the bathroom, the old flower comforter that didn't even match the bedskirt, and the old motel style scratched up stained furniture, I had had enough. 1 thing we did was arrive in town before the wedding party and my parents. And, luckily we did. We ended up fighting with the General Manager for over 2 hours trying to get him to release us from the 72 hr cancellation on ground's of false advertisement. He refused to help me, being a woman. So, my husband argued with him, and got him to release us. Which, thank God. It was a nasty place and I was not going to celebrate with my husband there. In the end, we stayed at the very nice, well worth the money Clarion Inn, just 2 hotels down. Sad thing was though, they would only release the funds if the rooms could be rented by someone else. I truly feel terrible for the poor people that ended up with that room. (BTW- it was Room #150, ground floor "premium King Beachfront." What a joke!

Anyways, we had the nicest anniversary we had ever had, and my brother had a beautiful beach side wedding that him & his fiance had dreamed of. Mackinaw City & Island were gorgoeous and besides our first day hassle, it was definitely one of the best trips of my life! Thanks Clarion for helping us out and making it an unforgettable trip!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank amyrich8799

Travelers are raving about these Mackinaw City hotels

lima, oh
Reviewed August 2, 2010

I have to admit I was very scared because I booked the room and then a few days before I left, I start reading the reviews (I know, I will never do that again). I was pleasantly surprised. The room was VERY clean! The view was waterside and was beautiful. Nice patio to sit on and the beach was perfect. Yes there is grass between the beach and the water (as the pictures show) but it is like that at a lot of resorts. Staff was very friendly. I was staying in the rooms facing the water and paid over $100 so I can't comment on the cheaper rooms like others did. Also look at some of the bad comments, and they are dated from a few years ago. This is under new management in the last couple years and they are working hard to improve the place. You get what you pay for. The breakfast does get pretty crowded but it does have great food. Either get there early or go elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank hambonelima
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2010

Online, a current internet special is $69 a night for a one Queen Bed room.

The one bed would have been acceptable, had the room not been right next to the road,
so you could hear the heavy traffic outside all night.

The room was tiny, I'm 5"1, and my travelling partner is 4"10 and we were cramped -
you could not turn around without banging into a wall, or the bed.

The bathroom is also teensy; if you're on the toilet, be careful that your elbow doesn't bang into the vanity!

The room had not been updated since 1950 (when it was probably built).

The front desk was staff was horrible. They claimed they would have moved us, but the hotel was full - despite the vacancy sign outside, even at 5:00 a.m.

When I complained about the size of the room, the manager claimed, "People know about the size of the room". This is a complete lie! I've stayed in Mackinaw since 2000, and have been very impressed with the hotels. This was false, misleading and deceptive advertising.

AT NO TIME - either online or on the telephone (I reserved the room on the phone)
were we warned about the shoebox size of the room!

There was inadequate space to work even on a small notebook computer!

The wall air conditioner looked like a relic from the Smithsonian.

Cleanliness was adequate.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Reviewed July 26, 2010

When we checked in we were told our rooms would not be ready for another 2 hours, so we walked the city. When we finally got into our rooms they were OLD! When was the last time you saw gold bathroom sinks??? Smelled old and musty, deck paint was all peeling, doorwall dirty. So we went back to the front desk and the moved us to the new building for an additional charge. These were better looking rooms, current. The bed spreads were stained, bbq sauce or something on the wall, under the cube fridge was an inch of dust, spiders in the corners on the ceiling. When I went to the office to cancel for the next night, they told me I would have had to cancel that my noon. How can you cancel when you are not happy with the room by noon if you can't get into the room till after 3?? Rather than spend the day on the phone, we decided to stay another night, but left housekeeping a note on what needed to be done. They did a nice job cleaning the room that day. Beach was not the greatest had to walk a path between small wetlands to get there. The breakfast was ok. Swimming pool had sand all in the bottom.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed May 31, 2010

First off I would like to say that all of these negative reviews on here are probably true. BUT if you book a hotel room and then cancel you should know that you will be charged if you don't cancel within 72 hours. Anyone with a brain would know that. This hotel has nice rooms. There are three buildings. 1 - Motel style 2 - Newer Lakefront room 3 - The newest lake front room. If you try to book the cheapest you can find then thats what your're gonna get - a motel with cobwebs

I stayed last year at this hotel. I stay every year in Mackinaw. This hotel allowed dogs, had a nice beach, great view, and free breakfest. And this was all for $79 a night. LAKE FRONT. People this is Mackinaw, why are you so worried about the room. Get out and enjoy the city, enjoy the company you are with, enjoy the tradition and history, enjoy the view, and most of all enjoy yourself.

The only negative things I would have to say about this hotel is that the room wasn't ready when we checked in (so we went down to the beach... not to bad) and that the beach is not all sand, there is a little bit of wetlands in the middle, but that is because of the lower water levels in the great lakes.

Hope you have a great vacation!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
ypsilanti
Reviewed April 2, 2010

I Booked a room for my daughter in the off season via rewards points. when i called 5 hours prior to her arrival, just to let them know she was running very late, i was informed that the hotel was not open for the season. O.K. mistakes happen. What came next was surreal the person i was talking with proceeded to become rude and argumentative when i asked to speak to his supervisor....hold your breath.....he is the owner of the hotel!!!!
I have never seen or stayed at this hotel, however based on my exchange with the owner, hospitality is not their strong suite.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple